“Well worth the visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Museum at Eldridge Street

Museum at Eldridge Street
12 Eldridge Street, Between Canal and Division Streets, New York City, NY 10002 (Formerly Eldridge Street Synagogue) (Chinatown)
+1 212-219-0888
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 633 Attractions in New York City
Type: Religious Sites, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic 127 year old synagogue in the Lower East Side.
Glens Falls, New York
18 attraction reviews
“Well worth the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a beautiful and historical place of worship whose story is very much aligned with the history of the Lower East Side. My husband, who is not a fan of museums, very much enjoyed the tour as did I. Our tour guide (Courtney) did an excellent job of sharing the history of this building. Visiting the Tenement Museum first laid the groundwork for us to understand the many challenges and economic influences on the daily lives of many Eastern European immigrants in this part of the city. In addition, we were able to visit a synagogue for the first time. This is a very special place which I highly recommend especially if you like history, religion, architecture, and art.

Visited June 2014

Melbourne, Australia
26 attraction reviews
“An amazing part of history!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

A beautiful gem in the middle of shops and houses.... What an amazing restoration and the history of the building is wonderful. I was really looking forward to my visit and I wasn't disappointed. I was there with a friend who wasn't really keen on going but he was really impressed with the tour and the Synagogue as a whole. Sarah our guide was so passionate and extremely knowledgeable.

Visited May 2014
Palo Alto, California, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Jewish Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was very impressed with the restoration of this important historical synagogue. It is truly awe-inspiring and Miryam was a great guide! It is interesting to hear the history of Jews in the Lower East Side, especially since the synagogue currently sits in the middle of Chinatown.

Visited May 2014
Bronx, NY
25 attraction reviews
“Rich in tradition and very informative”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Was lucky enough to participate in one of the free tours on the Monday before the Passover Holiday. Excellent tour and a fine insight into Jewish community life during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Very well restored.

Visited April 2014
Wisconsin
22 attraction reviews
“Noshing and strolling on the lower east side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I am for the most part an anti-tour person so when I happen upon one as I did earlier today I want to tell others about it. I met guides Hannah and Amy at the beautifully restored Eldridge Street Synagogue along with about twenty or more others for what was called a lower east side Passover nosh and stroll. Prior to the walk we were able to taste treats such as chocolate covered matzo and macaroons while Amy talked about the highlights of the synagogue's recently completed restoration.

The walk took us to businesses, meeting places around the area such as Jarmulowsky's Bank, Loew's Theatre and the Forward newspaper building. I left the tour with a greater appreciation of this area. There is much to do in NYC, but so much of it seems targeted just for the tourists. This wasn't. The fact that the majority of people in the group were from the area and many of them had been on the tour before speaks well of it.

Visited April 2014