“Location is great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea International Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chelsea International Hostel
Save Saved
You added Chelsea International Hostel to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   251 West 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011   |
Newcastle, Australia
“Location is great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed over the new year period in NYC, and we were expecting accommodation to be expensive. This hostel allowed us (myself and my two other girls) to stay right in the thick of the city for a reasonable price for New York, about $70 ea per night. While the facilities weren't amazing, we were expecting this. The hostel is in a fabulous location, a 2 min walk in either direction to the subway and the bagels in the morning were pretty good. The rooms were all they needed to be (we stayed in a 3 person private with an ensuite) although in the middle of winter I was needing a few blankets to stay warm through the night.
My only criticisms of the hostel are the fact that it didn't have a communal feeling that I have found in other hostels, and the wifi was a tad temperamental. Other than that, it did the job, we were out for most of our stay anyway.
I would stay again, most probably in a private room as I chatted to a few other people staying in dorms and they commented that it was a little noisy. The private rooms are out the back of the property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Hostel is perfect located next to Madison Square Garden. With many shops, groceries and the Subway nearby, this place is an excellent hang-out to discover NYC. Staff was friendly and the terrace a great place to get to know other travelers. I would definitely stay again in this hostel again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here twice, on two separate trips. Its nothing fancy, but being that it is a hostel, thats to be expected! In my experience the rooms have always been clean, really good value for its great location and no one can complain about a free breakfast..!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
La Plata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice place, well located, clean and all you need for a safe budget traveller.
The staff was very nice, specially Larry but except for Tim... seems like he doesn't like his job at all and wants you to know it, and probably blame you for that... rude and unpleasant...
I would come again, if I only need a clean room, clean bed and a decent shower... nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I must say that choosing Chelsea Hostel was very good idea, because if you are travelling alone or with max 2 other people it is definitely best place to stay in NYC. Helpful staff together with good price of accomodation and of course the location which gives you lot of options how to travel in the city. Located in a safe area with police station across the hostel and only steps from subway station. Personally we have chosen to walk only, because you get to see the most of city rather than travelling by subway. In couple of minutes you can reach the Times Square and all other main attractions, simply nothing is that far that you couldn't reach it by foot. The room was perfect for us as a couple, because we spent most of our days outside and came back only to sleep. If we have the chance to come back again in the future, we would definitely choose Chelsea again, because it was a perfect place for us to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Chelsea International Hostel is located in the centre of Chelsea, close to the subway and perfect for walking to major NY attractions. The hostel itself is clean and tidy. A breakfast of bagels and cornflakes with a piece of fruit and coffee on tap is a great way to start the day. I had a single room which was a good size, and came with it's own sink. The best part about the hostel is that it's located in a safe neighbourhood, with a police station across the road, and the funky West Village 5mins away. The only downfall to the hostel is that it's not set up to be very social, and this rings true with the staff. Upon arriving at the hostel I recieed a cold reception from the staff, this continued throughout my stay and was also a talking point amongst other travellers staying at the hostel. Apart from the unfriendly staff this place is great as a base to explore the awesome city of NY!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for four nights in a private room (without bathroom). It was my first time staying in a hostel so I wasn't sure what to expect. It certainly did the job - quiet, clean and a great location! The included breakfast is fantastic. Another tip - they have luggage storage lockers available, very handy. The only issue I found was with the wifi - it is not available in the rooms, only in the common area - but the common area shuts at 11pm! I can understand the reasoning behind both of those decisions but combined it made it very difficult to keep in touch! Apart from that, I would easily stay there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Chelsea International Hostel? Share your experiences!