“Don't expect a smile.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Don't expect a smile.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have just returned from a enjoyable break at the Nomad where we stayed for five nights in an Atelier Room. The room was beautiful with a great view of the Empire State Building and was exceptionally comfortable with wonderful products, flawless linen and great amenities; including an iron and ironing board which you don’t normally get outside the UK. The warm, softly-lit ambiance throughout was the perfect contrast for the bitterly cold weather outside and I think it is one of the most aesthetically pleasing city hotels I have ever stayed in. We had an issue which was sorted out with complete professionalism by the GM and other requests made of the staff were carried out with haste. One thing worth mentioning is that we were on the 11th floor and we could hear an awful lot from the street. I was woken pretty much every morning at 6.30am by the city coming to life. I didn't complain as I loved the view and we were on one of the highest floors anyway so they wouldn't have been able to do much. It really wasn't a big deal for me personally but I imagine this could frustrate some.

On our way home we were reflecting on a wonderful trip and my husband asked if I would stay there again and to my surprise I said no, however I would recommend it. I said no somewhat due to the street noise but mainly because the vast majority of the staff are frosty. Pretty much everyone standing behind a pedestal (and there are a lot of pedestals) refused to smile, even when smiled at – in fact one even gave me the stink eye when I nodded and smiled. The housekeeping staff, doormen and a handyman who came to fix a light in our room were delightful and I found the restaurant staff a lot warmer than the bar waiting staff who had an air of young insecure arrogance that most of us have when we’re 21 but not acceptable when you’re in a public facing role. There were some nicer ones, one in particular was super friendly in between hair flicking and regular unnecessary trips to a table full of guys who held about 80% of her attention whether they wanted it or not. Comment after comment on here picks up on this issue so I don’t know why it’s not being addressed. The bars and restaurants at the Nomad are truly wonderful and in only the staff only relaxed and warmed up it would be perfect. The Library reserved for hotel guests was such a pleasant perk. I don’t particularly need the warm smiles of a bar host to make validate me but there’s nothing 5* lux about a stony-faced cool reception, after all, a smile doesn't cost anything.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is one of the better boutique hotels that keeps getting better. Improved service and great location keep us coming back. The area continues to get better and the hotel is good for business in midtown and fun downtown. This continues to be our go to place in NYC.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a very well-designed hotel - restrained opulence with cool accents so it feels modern and inviting. It's luxury in an artistic way, not some old-money "grande dame" of a hotel. Everything inside is just as pictured on the website. I stayed at an Atelier room with free-standing tub. The room was very comfortable. The food at The Parlour (restaurant) was delicious and The Library was perfect for a casual business meeting (small group). The hotel is in a great location. Opening Ceremony is next door, Maison Kitsune is right around the corner - so is the metro station, and Sweetgreen is a couple doors down. Most of all, the staff was so helpful and friendly. Alicia at the front desk was delightful - really knew how to connect with guests with warmth and professionalism. Thanks to the excellent customer service, this hotel possesses both style and substance.

Room Tip: It's worth going up to Atelier (from Classic). The Victoria & Albert bathtub is a treat!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed every year at the NoMad since it opened. This time we were very disappointed with the service. The checkin-In lady Monique or Monica was not very friendly and we did not feel very welcomed. Again like on our last stays we booked an Atelier room on a higher floor but got one on a lower level. So we really missed the wonderful view of the Empire State building we had the previous years. The room is still very beautiful with a very comfortable bed and high quality linen (wifi is ultrafast). The Argan products (shampoo, showergel etc) are excellent. On the check-out after 3 nights Monique/Monica was again not very friendly and we were wondering why a hotel of such standard has no better front desk staff (the bellboys like Jack were really helpful and charming). The new Nomad bar is very nice & cosy (we didn't like it upstairs so much) and they serve an excellent hot dog (probably also the most expensive on this planet!)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Last time I was in New York I was looking for a boutique hotel with some character. I remembered the NoMad because I had been to their bar on a previous visit. We were lucky and got a good deal on a room at the NoMad and stayed for one night. I wish we could have stayed longer, the room was beautiful, the bed super comfortable and we had a great brunch at the hotel restaurant. I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed in this hotel for over a week during period between Christmas and New Year. Rooms are big enough and with equilibrate décor but avoid those at low floors and with inner view, they are sad no light. The restaurants and bars in the communal area are great per ambiance but service is close to nil. Slow inefficient you nenver know who's serving you they forget to bring sugar with coffee and it comes when the coffee is cold, if you ask for hot food it comes "warm" most of the time becuase they have forgotten it some place in the kitchen: naturally it is strongly required the customary 20% tip or more but we all strated to ask why we should maintain the waiters of New York at such rate when they hardly know what they are doing. The staff should be much more seriously selected. Asking 15 usd per piece per day to leave a piece of luggage in deposit after a 6/7000 thousand bill we found inappropriate ... does not make guest feel much cared for!

Room Tip: only high floor with city view but ofcourse are the most expensive
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Fantastic hotel with a phenomenal restaurant and bar. Rooms are well appointed and old world traditional. I've stayed here many times, and the service is always great. Location is very convenient for midtown, and close to some other great restaurants like the John Dorey.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Been to The NoMad Hotel? Share your experiences!