“Suite at the Nomad on 10th floor - Very warm pretty room” 4 of 5 stars

The NoMad Hotel
1170 Broadway & 28th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #34 of 451 hotels in New York City
Wyoming
“Suite at the Nomad on 10th floor - Very warm pretty room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the NoMad. The Suite room(s) are inviting and generate warmth rather than steel and gloss like so many other trendy hotels. The suite room has the bay corner windows.

The room is ample sized and well lit. Looks very much as pictured on the site. With two roller bags and carry-ons it is difficult to figure out where to put them and while we didn't bother to ask for more we were VERY short of hangers. One of us put our bag in the open position to use as a dresser in the entry way of the living room the other on the bedroom floor because the closet wasn't wide enough for our open luggage which you had to use because of no drawers in the bedroom. BTW, the entry hall has hooks for coats and hats.

Thank goodness the beautifully clawed deep bath tub is in the bathroom where it belongs. The bathroom is comprised of two rooms and has a generous sized separate shower stall with a double vanity offering room on the counter top and below it. Thank you NoMad for some bathroom storage! Plus we like having the pocket door separating the toilet and another sink separate from the rest of the bathroom, yet you can also exit the toilet into the entry hall area as well as having the main bath door off the bedroom. FYI a towel ring needs to be added to the toilet room, though a very minor negative.

The NoMad was kind enough to arrange our suite on a higher floor due to the fact street noise is a huge issue for those of us who live at the bottom of a mountain on a private road. We could hear some traffic noise and it did wake me a couple times but it is truly an issue for me. I got back to sleep quickly. Anything lower than the 10th floor probably would of been a deal breaker for me for the suite because it's on the corner.

Overall we liked the NoMAD for both ambience and location. It would be nice if the lobby was lit well enough to see. It is dark, even on a bright day. To me it seems depressing. Would I stay there again? YES the good far out weighs the minor negatives. They also arranged for a car service to pick us up from the airport which was helpful. Their service had the driver circle while another person was stationed at the baggage area waiting for us. Although this time I had to go looking to find him but he did help me file information for my missing bag. I hope this isn't seen as a negative review but more of an informative review. It's a very nice hotel with great service and comfortable rooms. I like it!

Room Tip: light sleepers ask for high floor or "inside" room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wiltshire - UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Great boutique hotel and good position in midtown manhattan. Bedrooms could do with more storage but showers were the best I have ever had in a hotel. We ate in the restaurant one evening and it was fantastic if not very busy. The cocktail bar is brilliant - but again very busy.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We only went to the restaurant. Nice place to and eat. The food wasn't as extraordinary as expected and branded. They show off the specialty of the house "roasted chicken" that finally is shown to all the restaurant and will not be your real plate ( at least that's what we think as they don't slice it up in front of you like in other restaurants)...

We also went during hot summer. They over powered the airconditioning. The good is that they have plaids to cover up your beautiful dress...

Exagerated price for the wine...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed for a week with my wife and a friend (mixture of business/leisure). The hotel in itself is well located and was chosen as we had a very nice experience at the ACE hotel a few years ago (same group, same corner of NY). Chose a grande room. Very nicely decorated, a real spirit to the room, nice bathroom, amenities. Only down point is the storage space is not very practical for two people. The interior of the hotel is ok, same spirit as the rooms but it's a bit dark in there.
Overall it could be a nice hotel if only.... the staff didn't make you feel all the time it is supposed to be a restaurant. Apart from a few guys at the desk/entrance who were very clued up and on the ball, everyone was playing it "too cool for school". They had bearded hipsters at the ACE too, except they were cool and doing their job.
The other issue I had, which links to that, is that the restaurant/bar seems to be the main attraction, and the staff seems only focused on them. I smoke and went several times downstairs and got asked countless times "are you coming to the restaurant?" with my key card in my hand. Gets boring after a while. Same when you go the bar (nice cocktails and great Brooklyn special beer btw). We had booked a table at the restaurant for a post theater dinner and of course ended up with the worst table near the fire exit.
On that level it really doesn't feel homy, and you are made feel that as an hotel guest you don't belong there.
Overall me and my wife were disappointed as we had such a good experience at the ACE, and we were hoping we'd get the same homy feeling. Thought of moving hotels at some stage, but the room was comfy and i didn't feel like dealing with the hassle.
If you like the area and don't mind being in a more trendy or cool environment, I'd go for the ACE. Just felt more fun and the service was much more on the spot with guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I had an excellent experience at The NoMad for my honeymoon. The front desk provided impeccable service. I really enjoyed using the hot tub and I thought the water closet was beautiful. The view wasn't great, but I did enjoy staying in the Flatiron District.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. Excellent service, beautiful food, creative drink menu. Loved everything about the Nomad. The bathroom and shower is amazing, the bed I never wanted to leave. They even offered late check at no charge, as we were flying back to Australia well after check out. Perfect

• Stayed November 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just when I thought travelling for work all by my lonesome had lost its lustre, I met the NoMad and had a one night stand like the good ol days. I love this hotel and didn't want to leave. Everyone here reviewing speaks the truth; all the staff were super friendly, casual but totally on the ball. There is clearly a prerequisite for a hipster beard or thick rimmed glasses to be employed there so if that gets your goat, stay away. My Atelier King room was beauteous. I was told to request a bathtub ahead of time as not all rooms have them. I was on the 2nd floor close to the utility room (#213) which I noted may be low on the totem pole but it was really quiet (from the street and the staff) and I had no trouble. If you're a light sleeper or usually sleep with nature sounds, no problem! The clock radio is iPod compatible but also has a few white noise presets to take us back to the land.

I made a reservation for dinner when I checked in. Apparently it's tough to get a reso if you're not a guest. Bar none, the best meal of my life. Started with the brussel sprout salad followed by the butternut squash...I was too sated for dessert but they all looked great. Breakfast of oatmeal w/apples and brown sugar in the library with a free NY Times...life doesn't really get much better.

Alright, so there you have it. A kickin' hotel and super value for all the goodies.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to The NoMad Hotel? Share your experiences!