“Everything is perfect in this Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

The NoMad Hotel
1170 Broadway & 28th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #37 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Everything is perfect in this Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent our wedding anniversary (altogether 3 nights) at THE NOMAD and we truly enjoyed every minute of it! We had a very beautiful and airy Atelier room with Empire State Building view and when we first entered the room we were very happy to find an icecold bottle of champage with a personal note from the manager regarding our anniversary on the table. Perfectly wonderful! The bed including linen are of the highest quality and we liked all the charming details in our room. The French designer Jacques Garcia did a tremendous job designing not only the the rooms, but the hotel foyer, the very cosy Library room as well as the restaurants. We also had a lovely diner at one of the restaurants and our host John David made our evening unforgetable. "The Chicken for two" is the best we ever had and we also never had such tasty homemade bread.
All the staff in general is very charming, professional and helpful. We also did not mind the area where the hotel is located. It's very close to Union Square and we always felt safe even in the evening.
We will be back for sure because our stay at the NoMad was perfect and unforgettable!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed in this marvellous hotel for 1 week while on a working trip
I normally stay downtown but have to say I'm now converted its in a great location with lots to see
The hotel is cool , great staff and Very comfortable , big beds , very clean , great restaurant /bars,well decorated
It's well priced
My home when I'm working in NYC from now on

• Stayed January 2013
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The rooms are cozy and nicely decorated. Ordered room service once which was so so. The clawfoot bathtub in the room is a great addition and I liked how the toilet is separated in its own area. It didn't feel that tight for space in a NYC hotel. Great service and people were friendly and polite. I needed something from CVS and was too lazy to go get it so asked the hotel to get some for me and they were efficient and service-oriented.

Only complaints are that we requested for a room away from the street noise but we were placed in a room facing 28th and it was quite noisy throughout the evenings with drunkards shouting on the streets. Security was also a concern as the elevators face the front doors and anyone can go up to the hotel floors and wander. Would be better if they needed a key card to get upstairs or if there was tighter security.

Didn't try the restaurant downstairs but heard great things about it from friends who live in NYC.

All in all a great stay and would recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and away from 28th to avoid noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for a few days after the hurricane. The hotel rooms are finely appointed and uniquely decorated ... Like staying in a luxury hotel from the 1920s. The food is excellent. I heard they have some relationship with eleven Madison park. But breakfast and dinner was yummy. Service was good. They could have gouged us on the pricing since I reserved day to day but they didnt. Te only caveat about staying here is that it is a little less functional than I would like. No bathtub... Shower only. You can see into your neighbor's room. That didn't bother me but it might bother some people. Overall I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I spend about 2 months a year in hotels and my past week at the NoMad is the most wonderful hotel stay I have had in my life. If what this ownership group has done for the food movement is transferring to hotels, then the hotel industry is in for some great change. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, and the details in the rooms and public spaces have all been given great care and nothing was rushed or cheapened. The staff is wonderful and relaxed in their interactions, not overly obsequious, and from the booking of the reservation and the contact made to accomodate a late check-in, to getting a dinner reservation in their amazing restaurant, to having ice or extra towels to the room in 3 minutes, it was all perfect. I am so sick of Morgan's hotels and how it's all about the bar in the lobby - and the rooms suffer from lack of attention as do the guests. The NoMad has set a new standard and I will stay here in a heartbeat the next time I am in NY.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

A pleasant hotel done in the spirit of Costes (Paris) and it sort of works in the public spaces. The restaurant is cosy (we didnt eat there) and the bar very busy and popular.The rooms are a little soulless bur ok. Our bathroom wasnt very clean. The room was also quite cold and didnt offer a lot of comfort for a cold November NYC. We didnt love the location for atmosphere but it is quite central. Some of the staff were nice (particularly the doormen) and we had a problem in our room which took them a while to sort out but we got there in the end. Overall Ok but we will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at The Nomad last night (16 Jan 13) for 1 night & had an amazing experience! The hotel is located near The Ace, in a slightly gritty area, but very near Union Square, the Flower District, & Midtown. I arrived early around 11am, but my room wasn't quite ready; it became available around 2:30pm. The boy that checked me in (I think his name was Brad) was cool, friendly & had a great smile every time I saw him- he was also quite efficient, handed me an umbrella as it was raining & said I had been upgraded to a 'Grande' category, which he said was one of his favorite room types!

I ran a quick errand, then waited in the lobby for an hour or so while my room was being prepared...I accessed the Wifi, which was very quick in the lobby & in my room as well, which was complimentary. Very cool & sophisticated crowd during the day in the lobby, as well as in the restaurant, which is directly off the lobby, so the area stays crowded as so many people are waiting for their tables at peak times, but it never became an issue of overcrowding. The hotels style is designed after a Parisian Flat & feels quite authentic & very chic! I loved it- the lobby is always very dark & sets a relaxed vibe- I also loved the dimly lit hallways leading to the rooms- very moody & subtle. The whole hotel feels like something out of Paris, yet retains a warm, homey, yet hip vibe- congrats to everyone behind the idea!

My room (# 504) was quite spacious & had tall ceilings, 2 large windows that let in a nice amount of sunlight, an amazing victoria + albert free standing claw-foot soaking tub (clearly my favorite feature in the room- spectacular!!), a lovely mini-bar concealed in a beautiful leather trunk that had a great selection & several local items, a fantastic bed with very soft sheets, perfect pillows, a lovely throw & a very comfy mattress, large Frette bath towels, very cool details like hardwood floors, a beautiful rug, large flat screen LG TV with perfect sound & very clear picture quality with a wide selection of channels, & a very cool set of framed pictures scattered on the walls.....I really loved my room & it was again, very cozy, yet stunning in design & feel. I also loved the really tall & high doors leading into my room & the closet area! The bath vanity is near the tub, then a little hallway lead into the WC, then into a glass encased shower area. The Argan bath products were lovely, but very strongly scented, similar to Roses.

The Food I had at the hotel was outstanding! Daniel Humm is renowned in NYC & has an amazing Food & Beverage Program at the hotel comprising several rooms (Atrium, The Library, the Bar, etc.) It was packed every day & clearly extremely popular! I went around 5pm to the Library & had a lovely time. The room is really gorgeous, & again, dim & very chilled out. Cool crowd & the Food was amazing! I ordered the Crispy Chicken Tenders with this amazing Lime, Chili + Yogurt dipping sauce, & also the Orange Julius drink, which was so delicious I had 2...it's a really delightful blend of orange & cream. The Milk & Honey dessert was delicious! The milk ice cream with honey drizzled on top, then brittle, shortbread & crisp meringue is an amazing combination- just spectacular!! The service in the bar was very friendly! I also ordered Room Service a few times- everything was very good, including a lovely breakfast smoothie, refined squash soup, amazing raspberry tart & the swiss Cheese plate was great!

However, there a few flaws to point out, none of which really bothered me, but I can see how this could be problematic for some guests:

#1) I was on the 5th floor. rooms begin on 2. The hotel is around the corner from the Uptown stop for N/R trains for 28th st. station & I could very clearly hear the subway arrive & leave, as well as occasionally feel the rumble beneath the earth from the train (which was actually cool in my opinion). The sound proofing from outside is not very good. I could hear people talking from the street & like I said, the sounds from the trains. I live in New York, so none of this really bothered me, but just something to point out. I'm sure the Higher floors are less prone to the train sound. It wasn't super loud or annoying, but clearly heard.

#2) The In Room Dining (Room Service) Menu is extremely limited. I love ordering Room Service when I stay at any hotel, so this is important to me when traveling. While everything I ordered was really delicious, having more variety & choices would have been nice. The all day dining menu is small, with very sophisticated choices, but having more options like Salad, a solid dessert menu, etc. would be nice. When I asked for Whole Wheat Toast for breakfast, the only options were White or Multi-grain.

Overall, I really loved my stay & the hotel is housed in a stunning building with charming & very nice doormen! I'm so happy I stayed & it's a really unique hotel with amazing design details! Also, Alexis, who made my reservation was super nice over the phone & was a great first start to my stay! Michelle from Room Service was very kind over the phone, as was everyone at the Front Desk & when I asked for a slightly later check-out it was kindly granted from Charlie.

Thanks for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Tub!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to The NoMad Hotel? Share your experiences!