“Look Elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Millenium Hilton

You added Millenium Hilton to your Saves list
Millenium Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Church Street, New York City, NY 10007 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & WiFi in NYC
Ranked #232 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Look Elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I have stayed in many hotels in NYC, this was by far the worst. The food was average and so far overpriced, even for NYC. The staff was not at all friendly, it seemed they were there to work a 9-5 shift and go home. The manager was no more caring. I stayed in a suite that did offer a wonderful view on NYC. Overall it was a "1 Star". Next time I will take the trip up town to the "better" Hilton.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
L.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

We stayed here for three nights and had two separate but consecutive reservations, one night was in a junior suite and the next two were in a smaller room on a higher floor. We loved the location as you can witness history and view the future with what they're doing at the WTC site. As most reviews tell you the construction noise is an ongoing issue with the deadline for the tenth anniversary fast approaching and the need to complete the memorial before 9/11/11. The noise is not particularly bothersome but our room locations were on the 32nd and 47th floor giving us great distance from the work.
The junior suite was a corner location and it had two adjoined rooms by a walkway which the bathroom was situated off of. The windows spanned this walkway and for 180 degrees around our bedroom. We had both a large flat screen in the living room and bedroom but they didn't carry an HD signal(why?). The room was very nicely appointed and maybe getting a bit dated but we didn't mind. The bathroom is large enough for two with mirror stretching to the ceiling and the shower was powerful and hot. Everything in the room very clean and shiny and the windows spotless for great views North and over the WTC site. The bed was comfortable, large, and supportive with plenty of room for two and it helped that when rising it didn't disturb the other sleeper.
Our next room was a better one. It was smaller in area but the bedroom was larger overall. We again had a corner location giving us magnificent views of the Statue of Liberty in one window and the Brooklyn Bridge in the other. This room was duly appointed like the last and we like the espresso machine included in all rooms which is great pick-me-up when needed.
Now for the bad which has turned me off the Hilton name that was once the standard bearer for good hotels. Our check-in times was both long and seemingly arduous (since we had two separate reservations they wouldn't allow us to check in once for both). We waited for quite a few minutes and what was strange was that a staff member would check in someone and then instead of helping the next guest, disappear into the back room or leave the area for a while. It happened on both occasions and to many of the guests even as we were just hanging around the lobby. We noticed some people annoyed with the waiting and who wouldn't be; there was many staff mulling around that desk but sometimes just one person checking people in. In addition, the check-in staff twice tried to get us to stay in the junior suite rather than moving to our new room. I didn't want to do this as I knew we'd get better views with our other reservation for the higher floors. The only thing I can think of is that it makes their job easier to keep us in one room and maybe they can make more money by having another high end room open for Saturday and Sunday night.
Another sad surprise was that on a weekend the bar area would close before midnight. Thinking that this is NY and a weekend night you would think they would have it open till at least 1am. Maybe they've had trouble with drunk people as the bar is an open area next to the lobby but we were disheartened to not finish with a nightcap after taking in the city. Another minor issue I had was the restaurant wouldn't serve me a dessert that I could take to my room. The waiter politely said to get room service and I know it's available but again this was after coming back to the hotel and I didn't see what the problem could be by me doing this. (And yet another minor issue is no free wi-fi. Do you have to charge for every little thing Hilton? Fifteen bucks for an all day pass! I pay less for my monthly world access account!)
My main problem was a toilet issue. The toilets are low flow for water conservation which is smart and I'm an eco person. But after doing my business ours got clogged. After trying to flush it down I had to call for help. It took 15 minutes to get someone up and it was a guy armed with a plunger. He got it working and I felt bad that someone had to deal with my waste like that. But after he left there was water spilled over the floor and toilet. He didn't think he needed to clean anything after plunging the heck out of the toilet! So I wiped up the floor and toilet but regretted not mentioning this to the manager.
Some of these reviews talk about the staff with a "that's how it is" attitude and I concur with their assessment. It seems they are not really concerned with putting a good image out there for the hotel. They seem dismissive and disregarding of whatever happens around them. As I think how I didn't talk to a manager I find with other reviewers that it most likely wouldn't have mattered anyway. The only good staff are the concierge who are eager to help you with directions and having a good time in the city.

So we had great views and a comfortable room. But the downside being the staff, no extra benefits staying at a Hilton and finding inconvenient surprises during our stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Homestead, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We had some extra time, so decided to spend the Thanksgiving holiday in NYC (and catch the Macy's parade). We wanted a brand hotel and not a boutique place. We also wanted to be downtown. The hotel itself is in an absolutely fantastic location. Access to pretty much all of the subway lines - they are all within a few blocks and 2 of them are right there. Century 21 is right next door so you can't beat that.

Our room was mid floor and looked down on the WTC site. We had heard comments about the noise of construction, but we never heard a thing. It must have been the height. The rooms themselves are in need of updating. While the bed and other furniture are newer, the infrastructure is definitely in need of work. The air handler was either on full blast or not at all. The thermostat worked when it wanted to - which meant either the room was too hot or too cold. This made it a little tough to sleep. When asked, the front desk almost acknowledged there might be issues with some older equipment. Housekeeping made the bed and provide new toiletries, but seemed to lack the ability to clean other parts of the room. It appeared the spaces behind the desk, around the air handler, within 6 inches or so of any piece of furniture was off limits to cleaning as was any flat surface like the desk, armoire, nightstands, table or countertop.

For the most part the staff was helpful, albeit not engaging. The exception was the concierge desk. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Not only were their directions precise, but they gave landmarks as well "you will see ..... when you get there".

The final piece of this trip was the bar area. It seems as though housekeeping doesn't even cover this area, and neither does any other staff. The chairs were stained, the tables dirty and there were food bits all over the floor. We decided one night to have a Manhattan (since we were IN Manhattan). This is, by far, the worst cocktail I have ever charged for. Part of the issue was the lack of service. After waiting 15 minutes for a server - which we had seen when we sat down, but had disappeared within seconds, we grew tired of waiting and approached the bar and placed our order. The standard garnish for the cocktail is a cherry, so we were surprised when they were made without. When questioned, the bartender (and we are assuming that is what he was since I had to interrupt his daydreaming to ask for a cocktail) shrugged his shoulders and said that's how he makes them. We sat back down and the mystery server came back. I asked about the garnish and was informed that they did not use cherries. When she saw the questioning look, she explained this was a corporate decision. Hilton did not serve cherries. (When we got home I called Hilton and asked and was told that is specific to that location). When we were almost done with our whiskey - I can't call it a cocktail, the server came over to take the order of a table that had just sat down. She provided them with bar munchies. This may be trivial, but we really felt like we had not been treated with the same level of service as the other folks. We went to our room, packed and got ready to leave as our flight out was the next morning. Needless to say, we will not be returning to this location.

When we returned home, I contacted Hilton and provided these comments, which were then relayed to the hotel. The hotel management had no concern for any of these issues and had the general attitude of that's how it was.

The hotel rates 3 stars mainly because of its location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

The Millenium Hilton is located at the foot of the WTC complex. The construction is right across the street, literally outside your window.
The hotel is a modern 55 story tower with well appointed public and suites.
Staff is friendly, surrounded by numerous subway stops within a 5 minute walk.
The views of Manhattan and the Hudson River are stunning.
Restaurant was over priced with a limited menu but the area is surrounded by eating spots all within easy walking distance.
The hotel website does advise you of construction noise emanating from the rebuilding of the WTC complex as does staff upon check in.
Sleep quality was an issue not so much from construction but from the elevators. The design of this narrow building means the air from the elevators rising and descending in the elevator shafts can be heard throughout the hotel on all floors and at all times. A bit disconcerting but not a reason to avoid this hotel. The work stations in your room are well appointed and if forced to spend an afternoon working in your suite, there are no distractions preventing a successful day "in the office".
I pre ordered items for arrival and within 10 minutes of checking in and verifying to the front desk my room was satisfactory, the items arrived in my suite and were uniquely presented. Staff declined a tip as it was a pre-order! If heading to the Theatre and you require a taxi, allow for 90 minutes as a taxi can be difficult to find and traffic can be heavy.
I will stay here again. The views alone make this hotel a winner but when coupled with a staff that goes out of their way to make you comfortable, it is a great place to be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millenium Hilton, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, I would like to thank you for sharing the feedback from your recent stay.. We were so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that staff was able to attend to your requests in a timely and efficient manner. I agree, there are restaurants for every taste with in walking distance. We look forward to your next visit to New York City and hope that we will once again be your hotel of choice. Thanks,
Autrichien à Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

I reserved the Hilton Millenium directly through the Hilton website, but found a better rate on the French ebookers website. "Terian Dillard" from Hilton's "Our Best Rates Guaranteed" replied that they would not honor my complaint even if I took screenshots.

The Hilton Millenium is situated right at Ground Zero which may be frightening for some souls, but we found it very nice and interesting. We received a room at the upper level of the hotel and what I have been told is that nearly all rooms overlook Ground Zero.

There was work going on all day, all night and during the whole weekend. Nevertheless we did not hear anything of the noise.

The rooms are very big and bright for New York. The week end rate included free breakfast (this breakfast buffet is nice and big - we were told to choose one entrée from the Menu)

There is a pool at the hotel which we enjoyed as well. The only thing I did not like is that it really is a business hotel. The area was dead during the week end and they even closed the subway station right at the hotel during the week end. There is no nightlife around the hotel.

+ great week end rate including breakfast, large and bright rooms overlooking Ground Zero, Swimming Pool
- "Our Best Rate Guaranteed" not honored, business district location which means that there is no nightlife around the hotel and during the week end

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share both your feedback and photographs from your recent stay. The shot of the World Trade Center is amazing.. Our heated pool is very inviting, happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of it. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will make the Millenium Hilton your hotel of choice on your next visit to New York City. Thank you..
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed one night in a standard room on 22nd floor. Check in was easy. The staff was as attentive and ready to help as I would expect from a Hilton. The room was of adequate size for Manhattan and very clean. It did overlook Ground Zero, therefore I do imagine that construction noise would wake one up on a weekday morning. On a Sunday morning though, I slept in with no trouble at all. The location otherwise is great and street parking was easy to find.
ONE NEGATIVE: business office services aren't free; spent too much time trying to print and was unsuccessful.
ONE POSITIVE: at night, the security courteously checks and only lets people with room keys go to the elevators. OVERALL, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millenium Hilton, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. Very happy to hear that you were not disturbed by the contruction at the WTC site. Thank you for mentioning our Security Staff, they do a great job at keeping us all secure. We hope to see you again on your next visit to New York City. Once again, thank you for sharing your comments.
Cambs, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We are getting married in NY in April and we will be staying at this hotel, along with many of our guests. We wanted an advance stay to make sure we were happy with the hotel, with a view to ironing out any issues prior to our April stay. We let them know this at check-in and were immediately upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 50th floor. The room was excellent - very spacious with outstanding views uptown and across the Hudson. The bed was very large and extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows and wonderfully fresh smelling linens.
There was only a murmur of construction noise and definitely no need for earplugs! I am unable to comment if this was due to our room height. The maid service was prompt and thorough.
The only negative, along with the majority of reviews, is the lack of wifi. As iPhone users this was a little annoying - although there is a Starbucks beneath the hotel that has a free hotspot so it wasn't too hard to go down to check emails etc.
We were overall very happy with our 3 night stay and are very much looking forward to returning in April.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
MilleniumHilton, Manager at Millenium Hilton, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
On behalf of the Millenium Hilton, we would like to first tell you how pleased we are that we will be your home away from home for your upcoming wedding... So happy to hear that the trial run went well. The hotel is currently working on a wifi solution and hope to have it running in the near future. Once again, thank you for your kind comments and congratulations on your upcoming Wedding... We look forward to seeing you and your family in April..

Been to Millenium Hilton? Share your experiences!