“Only Stay Here if you are a rabbit and/or hampster” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Only Stay Here if you are a rabbit and/or hampster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My Boyfriend and I booked this place on the last night of our travels together . As we had been traveling the US a month staying mostly in hostels we wanted a private room for our last night . But oh man this was not the right place . The only space in the " private rooms" is literally for the bed ( And I would consider it a King Single at best ) The walls Don't go right to the top and the space in the hallway is probably not even a foot across. There is no privacy and one hears every noise in the entire place . In the end we could only laugh about it and now refer to it jovially as " the rabbit hutch " however do not stay here . It may seem cheaper than other places but totally not worth it . Another downside is that the Soho area of Manhattan is really swanky and you'll find it hard to find affordable restaurants slash food in any form in the vicinity.. The service was also terrible , had to hand key in when we went out which felt very arbitrary and strange . The washing machine area was like a prison and stunk really bad.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

There is a point at which affordability, as a metric, breaks down into insignificance. Bowery's 'Whitehouse' (Nothing is cleaned regularly enough to stay truly white) is the definition of 'cheap as hell'. Whatever your budget, you simply cannot afford to stay here, for health and safety reasons.

When beggars ask if you can spare some change for a hostel, this is the kind of place they have in mind. This hostel has a sign saying 'No Spitting' on the wall. I doubt it is heeded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Nevada City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I took my seven year old daughter here and we stayed five nights. She loved the place. We stayed here because we had no other choice, as I couldn't afford anything else, and we really made the best of it. At night I told her stories about how entire families used to live with all their kids and all their belongings inside little tenement housing flats like this, and she was rather enthralled. There is a refrigerator, a microwave, but no other kitchen accommodations. We had no problem with bed bugs either. I guess all the years I spent in the army somewhat hardened me to the other complaints I've been reading about on this page. Look, put simply, if you have enough money for a better hotel, go elsewhere. If you are worried about having enough money, this place will be your saving grace, like it was ours. I felt very safe here. So did my daughter. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: We started in room 217 and then got switched to room 205, which was on the end and much bigger. We l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Genoa, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is place is rat house.
Every room has no ceiling, so every rooms is easly accesible by everyone and has no safe.
You hear EVERY npise coming from the other rooms and even the bathroom has no ceiling, so even the smell reaches everyroom.
Therere no power outlet in the rooms so you have to leave your eletronic stuff at the reception to recharge it.
The staff is rude and unfriendly, we had to wait 1,30h JUST to check in becouse the guy was at the phone with his mum (?!?!?)

This place should be shut down, I slept better in India.

THERE IS NO CEILING!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Despite the ton of bad reviews, I thought why not give this 'HOTEL' a shot since it has such a good location. Turned out to be my worst travelling experience ever! I stayed 3 nights here..the stuffs were rude, unhelpful and very incompetent. Not even mentioning no electricity plug in the room, the room was dirty, hot and noisy. You basically can hear what people are saying next door. Just dont stay here !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed twice at this hotel and I am planning a third trip. I have to say over all I have had a very positive experience when I stayed in the white house hotel. I really mean this when I say the staff are so nice and friendly and very helpful to everyone. The accomodation is basic as it is billed but I would not let that deter you as long as you are aware of it.

The location is the real selling point I have to say it is so central and surrounded by shops, restaurants and grocery stores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Do not ever ever stay at this hotel booked for one night our room was crawling with bed bugs we had to spend the rest of the evening in the lobby as too scared to stay incase they infested our bags and clothes, yes this place is cheap but I would never ever recommend this place to anyone worst hotel I've been to in my life absolutely vile. If you don't want to reuine your trip to New York stay well clear of this place.

• Stayed September 2013