“'No Spitting'” 1 of 5 stars

340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Dublin, Ireland
“'No Spitting'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

There is a point at which affordability, as a metric, breaks down into insignificance. Bowery's 'Whitehouse' (Nothing is cleaned regularly enough to stay truly white) is the definition of 'cheap as hell'. Whatever your budget, you simply cannot afford to stay here, for health and safety reasons.

When beggars ask if you can spare some change for a hostel, this is the kind of place they have in mind. This hostel has a sign saying 'No Spitting' on the wall. I doubt it is heeded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Nevada City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I took my seven year old daughter here and we stayed five nights. She loved the place. We stayed here because we had no other choice, as I couldn't afford anything else, and we really made the best of it. At night I told her stories about how entire families used to live with all their kids and all their belongings inside little tenement housing flats like this, and she was rather enthralled. There is a refrigerator, a microwave, but no other kitchen accommodations. We had no problem with bed bugs either. I guess all the years I spent in the army somewhat hardened me to the other complaints I've been reading about on this page. Look, put simply, if you have enough money for a better hotel, go elsewhere. If you are worried about having enough money, this place will be your saving grace, like it was ours. I felt very safe here. So did my daughter. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: We started in room 217 and then got switched to room 205, which was on the end and much bigger. We l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Genoa, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is place is rat house.
Every room has no ceiling, so every rooms is easly accesible by everyone and has no safe.
You hear EVERY npise coming from the other rooms and even the bathroom has no ceiling, so even the smell reaches everyroom.
Therere no power outlet in the rooms so you have to leave your eletronic stuff at the reception to recharge it.
The staff is rude and unfriendly, we had to wait 1,30h JUST to check in becouse the guy was at the phone with his mum (?!?!?)

This place should be shut down, I slept better in India.

THERE IS NO CEILING!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Despite the ton of bad reviews, I thought why not give this 'HOTEL' a shot since it has such a good location. Turned out to be my worst travelling experience ever! I stayed 3 nights here..the stuffs were rude, unhelpful and very incompetent. Not even mentioning no electricity plug in the room, the room was dirty, hot and noisy. You basically can hear what people are saying next door. Just dont stay here !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed twice at this hotel and I am planning a third trip. I have to say over all I have had a very positive experience when I stayed in the white house hotel. I really mean this when I say the staff are so nice and friendly and very helpful to everyone. The accomodation is basic as it is billed but I would not let that deter you as long as you are aware of it.

The location is the real selling point I have to say it is so central and surrounded by shops, restaurants and grocery stores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Do not ever ever stay at this hotel booked for one night our room was crawling with bed bugs we had to spend the rest of the evening in the lobby as too scared to stay incase they infested our bags and clothes, yes this place is cheap but I would never ever recommend this place to anyone worst hotel I've been to in my life absolutely vile. If you don't want to reuine your trip to New York stay well clear of this place.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked two nights and initially felt it was good value for money. The lack of power outlets in the rooms was a little annoying as i had to get the front desk to charge my phone for me. Within a day of checking out, i discovered at least 50 bed bug bites over my entire body, some of which very painful and irritating. I seriously feel some kind of health and safety checks need to be carried out on this place as the bed bug issue is just totally unacceptable. In addition to this, i was unable to sleep straight in bed as the room dimension was too small for my height, and im only 5'9.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!