“HORRIBLE.” 1 of 5 stars

340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Genoa, Italy
“HORRIBLE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is place is rat house.
Every room has no ceiling, so every rooms is easly accesible by everyone and has no safe.
You hear EVERY npise coming from the other rooms and even the bathroom has no ceiling, so even the smell reaches everyroom.
Therere no power outlet in the rooms so you have to leave your eletronic stuff at the reception to recharge it.
The staff is rude and unfriendly, we had to wait 1,30h JUST to check in becouse the guy was at the phone with his mum (?!?!?)

This place should be shut down, I slept better in India.

THERE IS NO CEILING!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Despite the ton of bad reviews, I thought why not give this 'HOTEL' a shot since it has such a good location. Turned out to be my worst travelling experience ever! I stayed 3 nights here..the stuffs were rude, unhelpful and very incompetent. Not even mentioning no electricity plug in the room, the room was dirty, hot and noisy. You basically can hear what people are saying next door. Just dont stay here !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed twice at this hotel and I am planning a third trip. I have to say over all I have had a very positive experience when I stayed in the white house hotel. I really mean this when I say the staff are so nice and friendly and very helpful to everyone. The accomodation is basic as it is billed but I would not let that deter you as long as you are aware of it.

The location is the real selling point I have to say it is so central and surrounded by shops, restaurants and grocery stores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Do not ever ever stay at this hotel booked for one night our room was crawling with bed bugs we had to spend the rest of the evening in the lobby as too scared to stay incase they infested our bags and clothes, yes this place is cheap but I would never ever recommend this place to anyone worst hotel I've been to in my life absolutely vile. If you don't want to reuine your trip to New York stay well clear of this place.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked two nights and initially felt it was good value for money. The lack of power outlets in the rooms was a little annoying as i had to get the front desk to charge my phone for me. Within a day of checking out, i discovered at least 50 bed bug bites over my entire body, some of which very painful and irritating. I seriously feel some kind of health and safety checks need to be carried out on this place as the bed bug issue is just totally unacceptable. In addition to this, i was unable to sleep straight in bed as the room dimension was too small for my height, and im only 5'9.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I´ve stayed here several times,and can absolutely recommend it when you just need a bed to sleep in. No king size beds,no flat screen tv´s,just the basics.And this place has good vibes!
The location is great,and it has everything you need close by.It might not be the place where you bring your girlfriend for a romantic weekend,but as a place to lay your head,it´s great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights in August, we originally had 14 nights booked but we cut it short.

The rooms themselves are really small, and the bathrooms can get a bit messy but for the price you can't complain! The lack of power outlets in the rooms is annoying, but you can charge things behind the desk or in the outlets downstairs in the common room. It's in an alright location, just one block away from bars and restaurants. But you won't get a good night's sleep. The rooms are private, but they have no ceiling so you can hear absolutely everything at all hours of the night. The shower genuinely sounded as if it was in our room it was that loud. After 3 nights of very little sleep we checked out and stayed at the YMCA Westside for just $20 odd more a night.

We don't spend much time in the rooms, so the size of them and the shared bathroom didn't bother us, but the lack of sleep from the noise was unbearable. If you're staying for just a couple of nights, it is fine for the price you pay, but for any longer seriously consider paying that bit extra.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!