“Planning my third stay at this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Planning my third stay at this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed twice at this hotel and I am planning a third trip. I have to say over all I have had a very positive experience when I stayed in the white house hotel. I really mean this when I say the staff are so nice and friendly and very helpful to everyone. The accomodation is basic as it is billed but I would not let that deter you as long as you are aware of it.

The location is the real selling point I have to say it is so central and surrounded by shops, restaurants and grocery stores.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Do not ever ever stay at this hotel booked for one night our room was crawling with bed bugs we had to spend the rest of the evening in the lobby as too scared to stay incase they infested our bags and clothes, yes this place is cheap but I would never ever recommend this place to anyone worst hotel I've been to in my life absolutely vile. If you don't want to reuine your trip to New York stay well clear of this place.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked two nights and initially felt it was good value for money. The lack of power outlets in the rooms was a little annoying as i had to get the front desk to charge my phone for me. Within a day of checking out, i discovered at least 50 bed bug bites over my entire body, some of which very painful and irritating. I seriously feel some kind of health and safety checks need to be carried out on this place as the bed bug issue is just totally unacceptable. In addition to this, i was unable to sleep straight in bed as the room dimension was too small for my height, and im only 5'9.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I´ve stayed here several times,and can absolutely recommend it when you just need a bed to sleep in. No king size beds,no flat screen tv´s,just the basics.And this place has good vibes!
The location is great,and it has everything you need close by.It might not be the place where you bring your girlfriend for a romantic weekend,but as a place to lay your head,it´s great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights in August, we originally had 14 nights booked but we cut it short.

The rooms themselves are really small, and the bathrooms can get a bit messy but for the price you can't complain! The lack of power outlets in the rooms is annoying, but you can charge things behind the desk or in the outlets downstairs in the common room. It's in an alright location, just one block away from bars and restaurants. But you won't get a good night's sleep. The rooms are private, but they have no ceiling so you can hear absolutely everything at all hours of the night. The shower genuinely sounded as if it was in our room it was that loud. After 3 nights of very little sleep we checked out and stayed at the YMCA Westside for just $20 odd more a night.

We don't spend much time in the rooms, so the size of them and the shared bathroom didn't bother us, but the lack of sleep from the noise was unbearable. If you're staying for just a couple of nights, it is fine for the price you pay, but for any longer seriously consider paying that bit extra.

• Stayed August 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

People complaining about this place have obviously had too much of a sheltered life and need to man up a bit! I found it a very useful base of operations while I was enjoying NYC, and I would stay there again in the future. I don't know what on earth they were expecting, but if you need to stay in Manhattan and you're looking for a budget option, this is perfectly workable. You get a bed in a cubicle with a locking door. If you're one of these people that likes to spend hours and hours in the place your staying, then I could see that it wouldn't be a very nice place to hang out, but if you are planning on just sleeping somewhere, getting washed and dressed and then enjoying the city, what more do you need? I'm 6'6, and I still managed to get 3 nights of good sleep in the bed. Toilets and showers were fine and did the job. My cubicle was actually close by the toilets, so I was a bit worried that there might be unpleasant smells, but luckily I had no such problems. I just wish that there was free wi-fi beyond the all too short trial free offer they had. If you don't mind roughing it, this is a great option, and I can imagine myself staying there again in the future (unless I suddenly find I have wealth beyond the dreams of avarice and can stay somewhere fancy!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Run Away.. Really, I don't understand how the health dept allow this place to stay open.
If you are taller then 5'5" be wear you won't be able to sleep Horizontal , not to worry if you are 5"10" and taller this place has no roof . No Joke. You can hear the people in the next room if y ou want to call it that. prisoner have better housing.. oh, almost forgot , the front dest staff. Nasty.

Room Tip: Stay Away... spend a few more $$ and stay someplace else.