“If you want a decent nights sleep, don't stay here.” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
“If you want a decent nights sleep, don't stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights in August, we originally had 14 nights booked but we cut it short.

The rooms themselves are really small, and the bathrooms can get a bit messy but for the price you can't complain! The lack of power outlets in the rooms is annoying, but you can charge things behind the desk or in the outlets downstairs in the common room. It's in an alright location, just one block away from bars and restaurants. But you won't get a good night's sleep. The rooms are private, but they have no ceiling so you can hear absolutely everything at all hours of the night. The shower genuinely sounded as if it was in our room it was that loud. After 3 nights of very little sleep we checked out and stayed at the YMCA Westside for just $20 odd more a night.

We don't spend much time in the rooms, so the size of them and the shared bathroom didn't bother us, but the lack of sleep from the noise was unbearable. If you're staying for just a couple of nights, it is fine for the price you pay, but for any longer seriously consider paying that bit extra.

• Stayed August 2013

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

People complaining about this place have obviously had too much of a sheltered life and need to man up a bit! I found it a very useful base of operations while I was enjoying NYC, and I would stay there again in the future. I don't know what on earth they were expecting, but if you need to stay in Manhattan and you're looking for a budget option, this is perfectly workable. You get a bed in a cubicle with a locking door. If you're one of these people that likes to spend hours and hours in the place your staying, then I could see that it wouldn't be a very nice place to hang out, but if you are planning on just sleeping somewhere, getting washed and dressed and then enjoying the city, what more do you need? I'm 6'6, and I still managed to get 3 nights of good sleep in the bed. Toilets and showers were fine and did the job. My cubicle was actually close by the toilets, so I was a bit worried that there might be unpleasant smells, but luckily I had no such problems. I just wish that there was free wi-fi beyond the all too short trial free offer they had. If you don't mind roughing it, this is a great option, and I can imagine myself staying there again in the future (unless I suddenly find I have wealth beyond the dreams of avarice and can stay somewhere fancy!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Run Away.. Really, I don't understand how the health dept allow this place to stay open.
If you are taller then 5'5" be wear you won't be able to sleep Horizontal , not to worry if you are 5"10" and taller this place has no roof . No Joke. You can hear the people in the next room if y ou want to call it that. prisoner have better housing.. oh, almost forgot , the front dest staff. Nasty.

Room Tip: Stay Away... spend a few more $$ and stay someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
England, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had never ever stayed at a hostel before and as a dare with my gf, stayed at this one. I shan't be staying at another hostel again after this experience. bed bugs, filthy bathroom, lounge area and elsewhere. No efforts has been made to spend any money at all on any essentials shuch as clean and tidy reception area and bathroom.

Awful place.....avoid it unless you are broke and desperate which I wasn't. I promptly booked myself into a proper hotel on leaving this place

Room Tip: there is no good room. avoid it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lyon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were placed in a double box (its not a room!!!) just near the bathrooms. We had to sleep (but without sleeping in fact) all three nights with the sound of dripping water. There is no ceiling in the rooms nor in the bathrooms and toilets. We had to listen to all what people do in BR and TL. Dirty sheets, bugs, without window. Our weekend in NY turned into a disaster.

Moreover, once back in Boston we discovered that we got charged twice!!!

I've never seen a place like this before! =(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Krakow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was young and want to save money during trip across US but staying in this place has learned me that there are some things that you should not saving on. Among them is quality of your sleep or having shower in decent conditions. This place doesn't offer any of those. If you're reading this, please consider another place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm working at the biggest hostel in northern Europe (Danhostel Copenhagen City) and I have traveled in Asia and stayed in dodgy hostels before. So I would say I have a very good feeling about what You can expect when You go to a low budget place.

I have never experienced anything like this!

Actually the worst thing about this place, was the attitude from the staff. They where lazy and rude. No smiling or eye contact.
If me or any of my colleagues was acting like that in our reception in Copenhagen, we would be fired on the spot!

But yeah, like many other people have been writing:
- No loft in the rooms. Which means that the place is VERY noisy. You can literally hear if people are peeing or shitting, when someone uses the shared toilet.
- Rooms are not clean and the linens where old and discolored.
- The toilet and shower was so dirty. The floors wet and filled with hair. The zink was blocked all the time.
- The wifi didn't work
- No electricity plugs
- You need to be quiet at all times in the rooms

I don't find it cheap!
I would definitely look for something else. Thousands of New Yorker's rent out rooms in their apartments for less money. check that out.

IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY: check the room carefully for bedbugs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!