“If you can afford 80 for a room don't spend it here” 1 of 5 stars

You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
“If you can afford 80 for a room don't spend it here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We wanted to find a hostel, so, in the webpage it wasn't that bad, this was my second experience in a hostel , we knew that staying there will mean to share bathroom and maybe to hear some noise, fortunately the noise was the less, but the bathroom... was terrible, some doors didn't close, we were 3 girls sharing 5 toilets with at least 20 more on the same floor, there was just one shower and the door didn't close!!!!! there was nothing to hang up the towel, it was dirty and so uncomfortable ...fortunately the bed wasn't bad, but it was cold... and my bed was close to the window...I was freezing, it was as private as it could be (3 single beds with enough space to walk through) just some fake walls between beds with no outlets. The only good thing I can remember is about the girl in the lobby , she was nice, and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a horrific place and a sad excuse of a hotel. The rooms are actually cubicles made out of cardboard basically, the bathrooms are shared, there is no AC, the whole place is a mess, there were stains on the sheets, there is only one florescent bulb per room, light reaches all other rooms, and there are NO OUTLETS! My girlfriend and I walked in, looked at our room and walked out. Luckily we were given a full refund.

Room Tip: There are no rooms, just cubicles so if you're looking for a tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here in December for 4 nights. It is probably the worst placed we've ever stayed. They give you a free night if you write a good review on them, but after staying here I will have to retract my previous review. Yes, its cheap but not THAT cheap to have a horrible stay. There are no ceilings, therefore no privacy/very loud. You can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the rooms next to you and in the hallways and bathrooms. We were in between a big, fat snoring man and an Asian couple who did not think having a LONG conversation in their native language in a regular speaking volume at 3AM would bother us. The bathrooms were not clean and having to take a shower after the aforementioned snorer was a little gross.

It would have been smarter of the hotel to have guests stay in rooms that were not directly near each other for more comfort. All the guests on the floor were in rooms right next to each other while the whole other half of the floor was completely empty.

The rooms are SO small, I think my car has more room. The beds are very small and uncomfortable. Also, there are no outlets in the rooms, so you will have to either sit in the lobby for a charge or near the bathrooms in the hallway.

If you do stay here, make sure you bring ear plugs!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hatboro, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I often spend nights in NY where all I really need is a bed, so I'm always looking at the cheapest options. The good thing about this place is that it is genuinely cheap in a really convenient neighborhood. If price is your biggest priority, you will not find a better deal in this area of Manhattan.

This place used to be a shelter (that I spent some time volunteering at, so I know for sure), and the owners have converted it to a hotel with no renovations. The rooms are so small that the single beds are custom size, which is why I am sure that they have not replaced the beds. What you get for your $30 or so is a room with a lock. There is no sound barrier at all - one of the three nights I was there, someone was trying to wake his friend for a 4:30am wakeup call and yes, we all woke up. I briefly called home, knowing my neighbors could hear my every word.

The place claimed to have internet you could purchase at two levels. For almost all of the time I was there, you could not purchase it at any level, which was really, really annoying since watching a movie on my electronic device was my plan to go to sleep. Some of it came up on the last of the three nights I was there, but since there were no power outlets in the room, my tablet was out of power and ...I didn't care anymore.

I didn't take a shower the whole time I was there, but...it is a challenge. There is a small changing area outside of each shower but the setup is awkward.

I would however, stay there again. I often pop in to the east village just needing a place to go to sleep, and I always find street parking for my car in the east village (I found a great spot in just 20 minutes for the three day I took in May). If you just need a place to sleep overnight and bathrooms and privacy are not a big concern, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Perissac, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Summary:
Unhealthy bathrooms, unprofessional staff, noisy, and candidate for shut-down.

Courtesy:
It is not worth the money. The receptionist is the game killer. Rude, unprofessional and probably has full of dark side of being human. As an example: he did not treat the customers like human, wanted to feel superior by yelling at customers. He also wanted everyone be awaiting while he was "busy" doing something else. No customers should be treated like that. I am surprised how he is employed there... probably it is his father's business.

Hygiene:
The hygiene in the restroom and so called bedrooms are horrendous. How can US health department allow this to happen?
Be sure to check the bug report.

Noise:
If u want to sleep in the 3 by 6 bed, and can tolerate noise, this is the place for you.

You have been warned: do not go there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This place would have been great otherwise! Staff at the front desk were helpful, rooms were exactly as described online, bathroom facilities about as clean as you'd expect at a hostel. Not too loud, towels were provided, there is some free wifi in the lobby, and coin laundry in the basement. Having a private room with a locked door was a big plus. That being said, you have to leave your key at the front desk when you go out, and you CANNOT bring anyone up to your room. So sneaking in extra people here in a no-go (we tried and failed, don't attempt it).

The location is terrific: right in SoHo, about 10 min walk from Greenwich Village. Almost made it worth the bedbugs... but I just can't give a good rating to any hostel that has 'em! Also, since we found them on the weekend, the management wasn't around and we got absolutely no recompense, no apology, nothing except a switch to a new room (where we found a bedbug again). So unless you are prepared to share your bed with some little bug friends, I would NOT stay here!

Room Tip: CHECK FOR BEDBUGS REALLY CAREFULLY! also avoid the rooms near the bathroom or front doors as they te...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

For $30 a night in Manhattan it could be rat infested for all I care!! (It's not though).

The rooms are single 'cell' type things, closet space really, but what else do you need? It says on their website that the rooms are tiny with no electrical outlets and no ceilings, and warns that it might be noisy. The girl at the front desk was careful to ask if I knew what the rooms were like when I checked in, I think they must get a lot of grief from people who don't know what they're letting themselves in for! I personally was quite charmed by my little 'closet'. When you've stayed in enough crappy dorm rooms, privacy becomes a luxury.

The bathrooms were fine, and showers had good pressure, but did take a minute to warm up. Someone on reception 24hrs a day and all staff were helpful and happy to answer any questions.

I would recommend light sleepers bring earplugs/eyemasks because it can be quite noisy. Most people are good about being quiet but sometimes people have had a few to drink and forget to keep their voices down. Also, this being NYC there is always noise from traffic etc.

I haven't found a backpackers yet in the USA with free wifi but there is a starbucks down the road, so if you're desperate to check your facebook you can always go there.

Overall, good location, close to several subway stops, or an easy walk to most sights - if you like walking. I walked back from central park one evening, didn't take too long. Easy ten minute walk to the chinatown bus also.

Would definitely stay here again. Just make sure you know what you're in for, if you're expecting luxury look elsewhere and don't abuse the staff just because you haven't done your homework!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!