“Budget Traveler..” 4 of 5 stars

340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Athens, Georgia
“Budget Traveler..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here earlier this year. It was a great place to stay for a couple on a budget trying to enjoy NYC. Rooms are small, which was fine with us because we only used the room to sleep, which is what most people do at hostels! Best part is the location...10 minute walk to St. Marks and union sq! I will be staying here again next month!

Room Tip: Request a room away from bathroom and street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stay at the Whitehouse pretty much ever time I come to NYC. As a woman who frequently travels alone this is a great place for me- I have my own room with a door that locks firmly, but it's a fraction of the price of a hotel room. If you know what to expect it's a great choice- the rooms are tiny but have sturdy doors and good locks, the floors can be noisy during his occupancy times but it's NYC and that's just the way things are, and the bathrooms have always been clean and I've never needed to wait for a shower. The only downside is how hard it is to charge electronics, as outlets are few and far between. Usually the desk will let you leave devices behind the desk to charge though, and really if you want to charge your laptop that's what Starbucks is for- this is New York after all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I've stayed at the Whitehouse many times over the last 15 years. (It's been a while, but they used to remember me each time I returned.) After some frugal years, I finally get to go back to New York & my first step was reserving a room here. The location is great -- easy to reach from any local airport. And for a very reasonable price, the Whitehouse provides just what a traveller needs: a safe, clean place to sleep & keep your stuff while you visit the greatest destination city in the world!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Everything written about this hostel is absolutely true: it's probably the worst hostel existing in the "Western world" as we know it.

So instead of doing the usual bashing let me point out what makes this place "stayable":
1- because it's such a disgusting place, it almost forces you to be out more and visit the city.
2- the staff is okay. I can sense that they are ashamed and pissed because they know this hostel is such a rotten place.
3- the location is the bomb. The best area of Manhattan if you ask me.

So if you are going there, here is some advice: bring your sheets or blankets and have ZERO EXPECTATIONS.

That's it.
Good luck.

Room Tip: bring your own blankets or pillow. Don't forget slippers and flip flops!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I booked a "room" wit split beds for two people, for one night not expecting any comfort based on other opinions. I was hoping to have a better impression though knowing that majority of hostels in U.S. is really bad. Honestly this one was beyond my deepest imaginations. I am not kidding It is a good deal mainly for the hotel to pack so many people on one floor in sort of cubical spaces with weird door and really little space. These rooms give you a privacy only in theory and due to lack of ceiling you will be very uncomfortable talking to your party and you will be heard by everybody around. It is like staying for a night in a room full of people snoring, walking, kicking by chance so called walls, using bathroom for more or less serious reasons with all sound effects. Sound of people showering also gives a chance for rest... just joking. I just could not get a good sleep besides an earplugs protection. The bathroom and showers have no ceiling as well. The good was a nice smell through all the floor and relatively clean toilet and shower. My sleep was very uncomfortable. I could not really get a good rest due to all sounds carrying through the entire floor. To my shock I have found in the morning a spot of blood on a bed sheet likely mine and group of bed bugs trying to find a way back under the sheets. We just escaped from that facility and hopefully my luggage is bed bugs free. This is not a good place even so cheap. I do not recommend this place and give the lowest possible rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

This is the worst place i have ever stayed in on a trip. Arrived at 7pm and the guy at the reception was busy with his electronic gadget. He spoke with a lazy and couldn't care less attitude. Got a room at the 3rd floor. Thought i could shower and relax after a long bus ride. There was no place to charge my phone!!!! I could hear someone pee, fart and shower! The window sill was dirty and there were blood stains on the floor! Only comfort i got was the little bulb that lighted up in the cubicle. Some inconsiderate guys were shouting at night and wifi isn't free! Stay here if you want to experience life in a concentration camp with cubicle walls.

• Stayed October 2012
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is possibly the worst place I have ever spent a night in. We travelled for 30 days across America and came to New York to spend our last few days. We found it very hard to find anywhere available and reasonably priced for the days we wanted so we resorted to this place. We knew it would be small and that it wouldn’t be the best place to stay but the fact is the only good thing about this place is the location. As the person said below the shower and toilet doors didn’t shut properly and didn’t have adequate locks. The toilets were clean however there were blood and other stains on the walls. The showers were always full of hair.
We didn’t get much if any sleep during our 4 nights stay as people were shouting, screaming and slamming doors. There are some very inconsiderate people out there! If your desperate I’d say go for this place though I can safely say I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel? Share your experiences!