“A life Saver for a small budget!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
You added Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel to your Saves list
340 Bowery, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Durban, South Africa
“A life Saver for a small budget!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you're accustomed to large hotel rooms, with silver vases, this is not the place for you. If you're willing to slum it a bit, doing New York on a shoe-string, and are used to staying in hostels, it is adequate. It is cheap accommodation! Stay here and use the money you would have paid to stay somewhere else to shop in Madison Ave! Totally worth it from that perspective. I stayed there for a week, and I had never stayed in a hostel before. I was comfortable enough. I never used the TV room or anything, so cant comment on that, because we were out most of the time - it was literally just a place to sleep. It is close enough vicinity to access everything in the City. The rooms are tiny, literally only enough for the bed and your luggage. A friend recently stayed in a place with same space, but double the price! You are not going to be having parties in your room, but you can get changed and lie your head down in privacy and don't feel like your stuff will get stolen while you sleep, which is more than you'd get out of any other hostel type accommodation. I'd advise taking ear plugs in case the person in the next room snores, as the room is not sound proof. They used to have a vintage pepsi machine, which is always cool!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank SarahLRDowns

Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The rooms are very small, barely enough to fit a bed, but you can put you stuff underneath. The rooms lock and are secure enough. The bathrooms left a lot to be desired, but were clean enough. The common area with television looks nothing like it does in the photos. It is really small. Wifi was down during my stay and the charge is excessive anyway.

People are loud at night and you hear EVERYTHING. So if you are a light sleeper or someone with a temper, this is not the place for you.

I needed a cheap room with a place to store my stuff and this place was perfect for that. I'm a deep sleeper and had no problems getting and staying asleep. I've stayed at many places internationally, so my expectations for cleanliness are not super strict. However, the beds and provided towels were clean and the bathrooms although old were definitely cleaned daily. As long as you have the proper expectations of a cheap place in the heart of Manhattan, you will have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank beachbites
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Jenny c, you're very right about the rooms small, dirty, smelly etc. Where in NYC can you ever find a hostel for 45 dollars with out shearing it with any one else? No were in NYC you will ever find it for this cheap in NYC. Jenny something else what you stated about Gustavo is the biggest lie I have ever read. The guy is so hilarious and ethical just like Melissa. The other associates I did not talk with theme much.

Room Tip: For the price you pay you cant complaint.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dany W
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is a dump! It's dirty, dark, no room ceiling, one word...terrible.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bboi25

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

West Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Reserved a private room but the ceiling was not enclosed - not much privacy there. Only 3 showers shared between something like 20 rooms - small, lack of hot water and smells mildwy. Rooms had clean linen and floor - closed with latch was very tiny. The worst experience was with the receptionist - Gus. Had no people skills; tried to make small talk and stupid conversation and was hitting on me all the time. Noisy air conditioner - could hardly sleep.

Room Tip: Try Brooklyn - seems like cheaper prices there
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jenny C
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The rooms were small but clean enough. The location was very convenient and great for someone wants to go out at night. Overall not too shabby, and one really can't be too picky for how much it cost.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank YFFC
Lakewood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I arrived around 9:30pm and was asked to come back in about 30-40 minutes due to a large group checking in ahead of me. I decided to leave my bags, go grab something to eat and come back. I gave them more than enough time only to be told once again that they needed possibly another hour before they would be able to check me in. Once again I left and returned quite a while later, it wasn't until 1am that I was able to check in.
Once I was FINALLY checked in I was given my key and told to go upstairs, with no other direction. I wandered around the dark halls until I finally found my room. I was disgusted by the dingy sheets. I could hardly fit my bag in the room since there was literally only enough room for the bed...it was touching 3 of the 4 walls with about 2 feet of space at the end of the bed. The ceiling was also open, so you could hear every noise at all hours of the night. I was not able to get any sleep. There are also no outlets in the room, so good luck charging anything unless you want to sit in the hallway or bathroom waiting for it to charge. The bathrooms were also not well kept up and appeared very dirty and well as the showers. Good thing I was only there for one night because I would not have felt clean showering there. I left very early so that I did not have to spend any more time there. The cheap price does not make it worth the stay, there are plenty of other options in the city!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo