“I'll keep coming back.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Amsterdam Inn

You added The Amsterdam Inn to your Saves list
The Amsterdam Inn
1.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   340 Amsterdam Avenue, at 76th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #405 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Detroit, Michigan
“I'll keep coming back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I've stayed in the Amsterdam Inn twice in the last 5 years, and I will continue to do so until my legs can't carry me up the steps anymore. Yes, this property is a walk-up. But for the price, you will not get a better value in a good neighborhood in NYC. The rooms are clean and safe, and the staff is exceptional. I'm guessing they ask you to leave the key at the front desk because they still actually use KEYS not key cards, and they can be expensive and time consuming to replace if they are lost by guests.

I don't understand the reviews saying mattress pads were not on mattresses and sheets were thread-bare. We had mattress pads and clean, soft, high quality sheets on both occasions my husband and I have stayed.

The biggest reason I would recommend this hotel is the professionalism, courtesy, and integrity of the staff. My husband dropped his wallet in the room right before we checked out. TJ, the front desk attendant, called us within an hour after our leaving to let us know that the housekeeping staff had found it. With her help, we received my husband's wallet back the next day. We can't thank TJ, the housekeeping staff person, or the Amsterdam Inn enough.

So if you can stand the walk-up, a good neighborhood, clean rooms, courteous staff, and a great value, I'd highly recommend the Amsterdam Inn for your stay in NY. Central Park is only a couple blocks away, and there are tons of great restaurants and shopping in the area. It's everything we ever need for our stays there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We booked this hotel online and arrived into Nyc on thanksgiving night. After having to carry our luggage up stairs, we checked in and were given the room right next to reception.
The room was clean, but it was not worth the 200$ per night rate.
Due to traveling 30+ hours we were extremely jet lagged and probably got an hours worth of sleep. The room was also extremely noisy, we could hear conversations that people were having at the bar downstairs. We decided to go for a walk and around 2am and reception said we had to hand the keys in which was really weird. After having a bit of breakfast in a 24 hr diner across the road, we made our way to macys for the black Friday
sales.
We had made the decision to check out of the hotel in the morning.
I would give this hotel a wide birth especially if you are stay for a long period of time ( we were in Nyc for 11 days.)
The website is misleading as it states it's a boutique hotel and the pictures don't even compare to the real room.
It is probably great for backpackers, but honestly don't know if a back packer would pay 200$ per night!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ulcinj, Montenegro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The hotel is definetely a nice option if you're on a small budget and don't want to stay in an unsafe neigborhood.

I had real little expectations about the hotel, as other reviews were pretty scaring, but I decided give the hotel a chance, as it was the only non-shared bathroom hotel room in Manhattam for less than U$ 200 per night (my rate was U$ 143 per night, before taxes).

The neighborhood is nice two blocks away from the subway and 4 blocks away from the AMNH. The dakota building is even closer. Nice places to eat near the hotel and a market to buy food to use in the microwave or store in the room fridge.

The reception area is really small and the steep stairs to reach it are kinda scary when you first met. Be prepared to carry your luggage as there won't be anyone to help you. But they'll keep your luggage if you arrive too early to check in or if you're going to leave late. So, it's not big deal it being so small. Maybe the only problem is if you stay in one of the rooms just next door to the reception, it can be a little noisy as the other guests necessarily will have to call in reception for their keys. My room was on the same floor as the reception and I really had no problem.

The room itself seems brand new (despite the 80's decoration) and had a nice queen size bed, cable TV (21 inches tube), microwave, fridge, a place to rest your luggage and a chair. The bathroom is great, not big but not the smallest I've ever seen, with a really nice shower with all hot water I needed. Complimentary bath amenities were unexpected as it's a 1 star hotel.

My only complaint as that the room and the bathroom were really clean when I arrived, but was not well cleaned every day - or not cleaned at all. The rubbish was collected everyday as the towels and bed linen was changed, but there was no real cleaning during my stay. As I've stayed for only 5 nights it was not a problem, but in a longer stay I would be worried.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Mount Pearl, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

The staff at the Amsterdam Inn were really helpful and I felt very safe in the building. It was odd that they made you leave your room key at the desk every time you left the building, but maybe they have their reasons. The rooms are super old and not at all luxurious, but for people who just want to see New York as cheaply as possible (without full-on hostel environment) this is a great place for them. We just made sure we were locking up our suitcases every time we left the building. It was a great hotel for us because we literally left at 8am every day and returned 11pm or later, just to sleep. The beds were clean and the rooms, while very very old, were sufficient. There were shared bathrooms and it seemed like the staff spaced people out so there were a few people on each floor, meaning the bathrooms weren't crowded and the floors weren't noisy. I was comfortable there after the initial shock of the room passed.

If you look at the Amsterdam Inn's website you will notice they boast "Newly renovated rooms with kitchenettes"...this was certainly not the case when we stayed there. Maybe SOME rooms have kitchenettes, but we sure didn't. It was unfortunate because we had hoped to have breakfast food at the hotel every day to minimize eating out. This hotel does not provide facecloths. You get towels, you get soap, but no facecloths. There was a sink in the bedroom which was actually really nice.

The outlet in the room (there was only one) was extremely loose so charging our phones or plugging in a curling iron was almost pointless, as they would keep flicking on and off. If you want a hairdryer here you have to LEAVE your identification at the front desk while you have the appliance. Not joking. I asked if they could just photocopy it, they said no.

The person I traveled with actually found a cockroach in their bed one night. I understand that bugs sometimes just find their way in there, but it was gross. Another night someone used the shared shower on our floor and left his underwear and towels in the washroom for HOURS. You had to climb over them to get to the toilet. When I asked the person at the front desk to have someone come up to take care of it, he said nobody works in the evenings. So basically we had to wait for that person to re-visit the bathroom and realize they left their things.

This hotel starts on the second floor of a building, and they have multiple floors, and NO elevator or escalator. So you could have to lug your things up to the 4th floor. They say wireless internet is available, so I called the front desk to order this internet service, and the guy at the desk told me I had to call a company called Natural Wireless to have it set up. It seemed ridiculous.

On our floor there were 2 showers...one in the main bathroom and one in a single shower room. The door to the shower room didn't lock.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Turku
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We enjoyed my stay in the Amsterdam Inn with my housband. We're students travelling with a budget and I think we got value for our money. The room was clean and kept clean the whole time. The size of the room was fine because we only needed it for sleep and rest. which we got (no disturbing noises).

There were quite a lot of stairs for someone with bad knees or something but we didn't mind them even with our luggage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was travelling on my own and stayed in a small room on the third floor. The room was plain, but extremely clean and turned over daily with all towels etc replaced as required. There was even a reasonable television with cable for catching up on the news.

The staff were professional and happily arranged for my large suitcase to be carried up and down the stairs on arrival and checkout. This hotel is in an amazing location. A couple of blocks from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History, an easy walk to Broadway, and right on two main metro lines that run the length of Manhattan.

I would prefer to stay here over a mainstream hotel purely for the location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

A friend and I took a quick one-night trip into the city, and we were on a budget, and this place is perfect for that. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, and the location could not be better for anywhere in the Upper West Side. Close to great restaurants and fun bars. While the rooms are kind of a step above a hostel, I did get lucky enough to be upgraded to a room with a private bath, so I was extremely grateful for that. It's great for one night, but probably not an extended visit. No elevator, like everyone here has said, and I did stay on the 4th floor, so lots of stairs...but who doesn't need the exercise? Really glad I found this place. I will stay there again if need be.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Amsterdam Inn? Share your experiences!