“Very good for students” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Amsterdam Inn

Save Saved
You added The Amsterdam Inn to your Saves list
The Amsterdam Inn
1.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   340 Amsterdam Avenue, at 76th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #398 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Turku
“Very good for students”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We enjoyed my stay in the Amsterdam Inn with my housband. We're students travelling with a budget and I think we got value for our money. The room was clean and kept clean the whole time. The size of the room was fine because we only needed it for sleep and rest. which we got (no disturbing noises).

There were quite a lot of stairs for someone with bad knees or something but we didn't mind them even with our luggage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was travelling on my own and stayed in a small room on the third floor. The room was plain, but extremely clean and turned over daily with all towels etc replaced as required. There was even a reasonable television with cable for catching up on the news.

The staff were professional and happily arranged for my large suitcase to be carried up and down the stairs on arrival and checkout. This hotel is in an amazing location. A couple of blocks from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History, an easy walk to Broadway, and right on two main metro lines that run the length of Manhattan.

I would prefer to stay here over a mainstream hotel purely for the location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

A friend and I took a quick one-night trip into the city, and we were on a budget, and this place is perfect for that. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, and the location could not be better for anywhere in the Upper West Side. Close to great restaurants and fun bars. While the rooms are kind of a step above a hostel, I did get lucky enough to be upgraded to a room with a private bath, so I was extremely grateful for that. It's great for one night, but probably not an extended visit. No elevator, like everyone here has said, and I did stay on the 4th floor, so lots of stairs...but who doesn't need the exercise? Really glad I found this place. I will stay there again if need be.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

1st let me say that the staff is extemely helpful, the beds are super comfortable an rooms are immaculate. I stayed on the 1st level so my room had a lil sink ,fridge, and microwave ...just so convenient especially if your on a budget. Heres the thing about this hotel 1. your in manhattan...so yes at most of any of these hotels your going to hear street level noise unless you stay at a high rise hotel where you can be placed on the 10th flr or above . the hotel gives you everything you need and the loction couldnt be better for the price. alot of these reviews are so misleading because travelers would like to pay motel 6 rates expecting a Ritz carlton hotel, I wish people would be more realistic when making travel plans ..in NEW YORK CITY you get what you pay for and in my opinion Amsterdam Inn offers a little more. You really cant beat their service , and location at their rates.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
new your
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this quaint hotel for one week.Apon arrival we found the hotel to be very clean and the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.My husband and I had a room with a private bath the room was very clean and a nice size. We love this hotel so much that we will be back often, not only beause we enjoyed our stay but beause the location of the hotel is great! right in the heart of broadway, so we were never board and transportaion was very easy as well a lot of buses and trains and cabs so it made it easy to go back and forth. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone look for that new york experience and for more bang for their buck the as the private bath also came with a breakfast voucher and staff went out of their way to make us at home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

This was the worste hotel that I have ever stayed in! After climbing 17 stairs with heavy luggage and no offer of assistance from staff, the room was small, linens old and worn, beds were inproperly made no mattress pads, the noise from the bar below and the street was unbearable. The shower did not work, there were no towels and no extra pillows, or any other nicety that you would expect in any hotel. We were told that we would be given a coupon for a "free" bagel down the street which we never received, as it turned out, the bagel place turned out to be a dump too! Do not waste your money on this dump!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Bathroom was dirty. Room was freezing. HORRIBLE street noise. NO ELEVATOR! NO mattress pads on the beds and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for one. Sheets were thread-bare and had holes. And NO HEAT in the bathroom at all!! I am sorry I believed the semi-acceptable reviews for this place to save some money. Stayed 1 out of 3 nights and booked a 4-star hotel on Priceline for almost the same price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Amsterdam Inn? Share your experiences!