“perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Amsterdam Inn

You added The Amsterdam Inn to your Saves list
The Amsterdam Inn
1.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   340 Amsterdam Avenue, at 76th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #408 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Wexford, Pennsylvania
“perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

This hotel was amazingly priced for the location and wonderful accomodations!
The room was a wonderful size for an NYC hotel. Bathroom was a great size and had a tub and not a standup shower.
Rooms were clean. Nicely decorated. Clean. Quiet. Pleasent staff.
Fabulous location!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Lakewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Stayed here one Saturday night in December before Christmast. Close to the Met and Central Park! Very quiet room with no bath, but it was cheap.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We spent 5 nights in Oct 2010 and we had a clean, fresh-smelling room. We faced the front, right over the bar entrance and slept with window open and heard no noise. The staff was great, helped us open windows on the top, gave directions for using the bus to La Guardia airport and were very friendly. The location was great--lots of restaurants, grocery close by and only 4 short blocks to subway. We were close to Central Park & felt safe walking around at night. We will definitely stay at the Amsterdam Inn when we return to New York.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed a few weeks ago, dropped my bags at the pleasant ( and very clean) reception area, and then headed out for the day. I returned early evening and found that the room they had given me was directly next to a bathroom.
The room was dank, the carpet was soggy, the linens appeared to have been changed before my arrival, but they were stained and torn - nothing you want to see when you enter a hotel room.
Because of its proximity to the toilet, and the sewage smell coming from the bathroom, the room smelled and felt like an extension of the bathroom.
Add to the equation thin walls and drafty windows and ear splitting drilling and heavy construction that began early in the am, and you've basically got a nightmare on your hands.

After I saw the room, I immediately went back to reception to ask if they could switch my room. They said they were full. I asked if they could move me the next morning, but they said all the rooms had been assigned for the following night. (This contradicted what I was told when I arrived, that rooms were assigned to new guests by midday.) All that they offered me was air freshener that didn't even begin to help.

I have to say that the reception people were really nice, and it did look like the second floor of the hotel - where reception was - had been freshly cleaned and painted ( I did not see rooms, just the hallway). Also the location was great.

This place definitely has potential, for a basic hotel, it could be easily refreshed by simple and easy to vacuum rugs and an Ikea run, but alas..

I left as soon as construction woke me, and later called the manager who credited me about half back.

Even so, its beyond wrong to not warn travelers of construction, that will affect their stay, to say the least.

Having to find a hotel at 8pm for a last minute stay in new york is a nightmare too, something i wouldn't wish on anyone.

I did end up walking over to Hotel 17, which was the other place i was considering for my stay. I WISH i had chosen that place, set up was very similar, small rooms and shared baths down the hall, but the room they showed me was what the Amsterdam Hotel could be: clean, stylish, no frills but comfortable and a definite find for an "affordable" hotel in manhattan.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

I've stayed in the Amsterdam Inn twice in the last 5 years, and I will continue to do so until my legs can't carry me up the steps anymore. Yes, this property is a walk-up. But for the price, you will not get a better value in a good neighborhood in NYC. The rooms are clean and safe, and the staff is exceptional. I'm guessing they ask you to leave the key at the front desk because they still actually use KEYS not key cards, and they can be expensive and time consuming to replace if they are lost by guests.

I don't understand the reviews saying mattress pads were not on mattresses and sheets were thread-bare. We had mattress pads and clean, soft, high quality sheets on both occasions my husband and I have stayed.

The biggest reason I would recommend this hotel is the professionalism, courtesy, and integrity of the staff. My husband dropped his wallet in the room right before we checked out. TJ, the front desk attendant, called us within an hour after our leaving to let us know that the housekeeping staff had found it. With her help, we received my husband's wallet back the next day. We can't thank TJ, the housekeeping staff person, or the Amsterdam Inn enough.

So if you can stand the walk-up, a good neighborhood, clean rooms, courteous staff, and a great value, I'd highly recommend the Amsterdam Inn for your stay in NY. Central Park is only a couple blocks away, and there are tons of great restaurants and shopping in the area. It's everything we ever need for our stays there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We booked this hotel online and arrived into Nyc on thanksgiving night. After having to carry our luggage up stairs, we checked in and were given the room right next to reception.
The room was clean, but it was not worth the 200$ per night rate.
Due to traveling 30+ hours we were extremely jet lagged and probably got an hours worth of sleep. The room was also extremely noisy, we could hear conversations that people were having at the bar downstairs. We decided to go for a walk and around 2am and reception said we had to hand the keys in which was really weird. After having a bit of breakfast in a 24 hr diner across the road, we made our way to macys for the black Friday
sales.
We had made the decision to check out of the hotel in the morning.
I would give this hotel a wide birth especially if you are stay for a long period of time ( we were in Nyc for 11 days.)
The website is misleading as it states it's a boutique hotel and the pictures don't even compare to the real room.
It is probably great for backpackers, but honestly don't know if a back packer would pay 200$ per night!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Ulcinj, Montenegro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The hotel is definetely a nice option if you're on a small budget and don't want to stay in an unsafe neigborhood.

I had real little expectations about the hotel, as other reviews were pretty scaring, but I decided give the hotel a chance, as it was the only non-shared bathroom hotel room in Manhattam for less than U$ 200 per night (my rate was U$ 143 per night, before taxes).

The neighborhood is nice two blocks away from the subway and 4 blocks away from the AMNH. The dakota building is even closer. Nice places to eat near the hotel and a market to buy food to use in the microwave or store in the room fridge.

The reception area is really small and the steep stairs to reach it are kinda scary when you first met. Be prepared to carry your luggage as there won't be anyone to help you. But they'll keep your luggage if you arrive too early to check in or if you're going to leave late. So, it's not big deal it being so small. Maybe the only problem is if you stay in one of the rooms just next door to the reception, it can be a little noisy as the other guests necessarily will have to call in reception for their keys. My room was on the same floor as the reception and I really had no problem.

The room itself seems brand new (despite the 80's decoration) and had a nice queen size bed, cable TV (21 inches tube), microwave, fridge, a place to rest your luggage and a chair. The bathroom is great, not big but not the smallest I've ever seen, with a really nice shower with all hot water I needed. Complimentary bath amenities were unexpected as it's a 1 star hotel.

My only complaint as that the room and the bathroom were really clean when I arrived, but was not well cleaned every day - or not cleaned at all. The rubbish was collected everyday as the towels and bed linen was changed, but there was no real cleaning during my stay. As I've stayed for only 5 nights it was not a problem, but in a longer stay I would be worried.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Amsterdam Inn? Share your experiences!