“Fun little joint with really great food!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,586 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Barbecue
New York City, New York
“Fun little joint with really great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I live in the neighborhood and frequented this place about 6 times, and Im never disappointed. Very cozy place and frequently change beers on the tap which is nice! My favorite is the pork pulled cheese scallion pancake taco and the mac and cheese. Definitely off the beaten path and a lot of fun. Worth the trek up town and great place to go after visiting museum mile!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great beer off the tourist trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

OK we were tourists on a trail and we followed recommendations to find this place but were not disappointed.

It's a tiny place. obviously well used by regulars. We were made to feel very welcome. The beer was good and all the bar snacks perfectly designed to soak up the third glass.

Top tip. If you're there in the day time then go next door for a donut. Delicious!

“Upper East Side Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Probably the best Tomato Soup I have ever had. This place is so cute and very "hold-in-the-wall". You can't go with more than a party of 2-3 but it’s worth it. The menu is limited but very unique and delicious!

Visited October 2013
WashingtonDC
“inventive and tasty food at affordable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My friend and I visited Earl's Beer and Cheese because she lives in the neighborhood and wanted to try out a neighborhood place. Overall, I felt the food was very affordable and tasty – food you can't just get anywhere else.

We went on a Saturday late morning, and it really wasn't that busy at all. My friend normally said it's packed during the night, and I will say that once I ordered the food, the service was rather slow in terms of how quickly the food came out relative to the few customers there.

The food itself is very inventive, that's how I would describe it. I personally got the "foieco," which was foie gras taco with french fries and caramelized onions. A very random creation, to be sure, but I love foie gras and it was a sizable portion for $12. I guess they're going for some type of kitsch to put foie gras on top of single-slice American cheese like you would getting the store. It worked for me. I also got the mozzarella sandwich with miso mayo and pickles, which was absolutely delicious and only $6! My friend got the pulled pork sandwich on a scallion pancake, and it was also very delicious and had a lot of complex flavors that work together.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Earl's Beer and Cheese, even though it's rather far up the East side. Even with all the restaurants in New York, I would still go here again if I were in the area. I felt the food was inventive and interesting and fun. Honestly, I didn't have any of the beer because we had just gone out the night before, but they seem to have a good selection.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing beer cheese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food here is incredible. Very simple, small menu, but everything I had was outstanding. Probably the best beer cheese I've eaten, delicious grilled cheese, fantastic (and huge) taco, and insanely amazing bread pudding.

Visited August 2013