“Excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #291 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Cork,Ireland
“Excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is an ideal location for anyone wishing to visit New York as it is right on Time Square and adjacent to one of New York's largest subway station which helps in navigating the city.

The staff here were so friendly and obliging and always had a smile for you when you entered the premises.

We brought a group with us and the staff always praised them on their behaviour.

If location is your main concern then this is the place to be. If you want luxury well maybe go somewhere else and pay an appropriate price for it. Nothing is cheap accommodation wise in New York but this was a very fair price in my opinion.

The staff had to deal with one or two people who obviously didn't do their research before arriving and I felt sorry for the staff and found it embarrassing for customer as it was obvious they didn't do their research beforehand.

I have no hesitation in recommending this as an ideal testing place in New York as most people will only spend time here to sleep and use their days to the full out and about the city.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I chose Equity Point as it had perfect location and it said it was a hostel.

I have stayed in hostels all over the world and I still cannot find the part of this place which shows it's a hostel!

When we arrived we asked about the kitchen facilities where my
Boyfriend could have breakfast like he had for the past 3 weeks of our trip at hostels. We where advised that there was no kitchen facilitates here. We were told that there was free breakfast each morning so we headed down for it on our first morning. We were in shock. 'Breakfast' was a few pieces of bread, some Cheerios, some soggy fruit and coffee.

We then asked (already knowing the answer) of a laundry in the hostel. Of course there was no laundry. The closest one was 4 blocks away.

We had a private room and I have seen prison cells that are bigger! The beds are so uncomfortable that I had a stiff neck for 4 days. The shower is either boiling hot or as cold as can be. There were 3 mornings that we had no hot water.

The staff are not friendly like that type you find in a real hostel. They speak little English and if you book on hostelworld.com beware as the price doesn't include hotel tax or city tax or state tax! We got stung an extra $120 on arrival.

Although the location is amazing but once again, if you're after hostel facilities then this is not for you! This is more like a budget hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The Equity Point New York is a hostel, but more like a hotel as it offers private en suite rooms. We had a very small double room that was minimally decorated, but offered a flat screen tv, built ins and a really lovely tiled bathroom. The view out of the window was of a brick wall, but we were there just to sleep while visiting with relatives who were in the city on vacation. Check in was easy, great staff and the location is excellent! The only thing "hostel" about it is that you must bring your own toiletries. It was very quiet as well considering it was St. Patrick's Day weekend. We would definitely recommend the Equity Point New York to other budget minded travelers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed in the twin with private en-suite. This had a bunk bed and single with a nice little bathroom. Check in was easy, room was spotless. Free continental breakfast which consisted of breads, cereals, fruit, tea / coffee. The location of this hotel is amazing, right beside Times Square with a subway stop directly opposite. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay in Times Square then definitely stay here!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

They paid for the taxi to another hotel which is 7 blocks down the street, had to come back for breakfast though. They had bagels, cereal and oranges. Convenient location, owners seem to be service minded

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
North Richland Hills, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I remember booking and asking for a private room for myself and two other friends. Everything else was booked but they gave us a private room with three bunks. Beds were comfy; clean little bathroom; quick, continental breakfast. BUT THE LOCATION! WOW. We had to come in a day early and if I ever have to make a quick trip to New York again and want to stay literally less than a BLOCK from the subway and all that's happening in and around Times Square, I'll stay here again.

The bartender was playing reggae in the evening (very much my cup of tea) and overall the mix of people that you meet lead to good conversation. There's always something happening, but you're in the middle of it all. I wish I was able to stay a bit longer for the bar crawls or come in a day earlier for the dinner event they were holding.

There were a bunch of twenty-to-thirty somethings, and the vibe is very carefree and young. There's a mix of art on the walls and the lady that checked us in and out was very friendly. They even let a couple of us store our bags in a safe place while we ventured around just after our checkout.

Though it's tight, it's very easy to navigate to and even easier if you come in from Penn Station. I literally hopped on a train at Newark Airport, then hopped on a subway when it ARRIVED in Union Penn Station that took me to the corner that this place sits on.

If you're strapped for cash and need a bed and a great, central location to navigate the city, this is the place for you. It's simple, but it works. I'd recommend it for single and young travelers. There are family rooms available as well, but book early if you want one!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. Remember, you're in the mix just near Times Square! I think this can...