“A real treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Wall Street Inn

You added The Wall Street Inn to your Saves list
The Wall Street Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 South William Street, Manhattan, New York City, NY 10004 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #170 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow
“A real treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

New York is an expensive place. And having travelled most of the world I enjoy my comforts. But I don't want to pay through the nose for them. That's where the Wall Street Inn came in.
This was a treat for my wife who turned 40. Having had the worst ever experience in Iceland, I was hopeful that this would make up for it. It did. It looks immaculate. It looks historic. The lobby looks high end. But the prices are very reasonable. Very very good value. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have every had. Nothing was too much trouble. Now the one draw back.. it is not central in terms of Times Square. However, it is only a short subway journey away.
The breakfast may only be continental, but in fairness, if you are on a trip, you want to go out for breakfast. In my book, a hotel is all about comfort when you go to bed. And it is. Sorry to go on about the bed

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Washington, De, NY, and NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My stay was for business purposes which worked well and my other half joined me. The rate was reasonable. However, the front desk staff was blunt and border line rude and not acceptable (with the exception of one front desk person who was a polite female). I would suggest a review of front desk staff and/or a retraining. This attitude is not the standard for NYC since I've done business there for many, many years.
I strongly agree on the hotel being in an excellent location. The restaurants and bars on Stone St were not a deterrent. The location actually provided a little life and additional convenient meeting places to meet for cocktails to dinner. However, if you are staying in the back of the hotel and you do have to turn in very early, you may want to ask for the front side of the hotel. Even with staying on the back side of the hotel, we had a great night sleep in a comfortable bed.
Continental breakfast, although small and quaint, was acceptable and staff was friendly. Cleaning staff was courteous and friendly as well (both departments could give a lesson to the front desk staff).
Interior was warm, old school elegant - overall feeling of charming, comfortable and being in a safe environment. Some fixtures and furnishings were in need of possible updating and repair, however again, it was not a deterrent. We would definitely stay in this hotel again and we would highly recommend this hotel depending on the services you would require.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WallStreetInn, General Manager at The Wall Street Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting a review from your recent stay. We are glad that you liked our location and housekeeping service but are sad to learn your opinion of our front desk staff. We are always polite and professional and truly regret if you felt mistreated for any reason. We invite you once again to stay with us so we can affirm our positive attitude.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us; we know that you have many options for accommodations in New York City.
New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Wall Street Inn was expensive for me, and I wanted to like it because of its pretty lobby, attractive room with three phones (honest), the NY Times outside my door in the morning, and complimentary breakfast. But there was no chain on the door, and I had trouble locking it when I left, so I never felt sure it was locked. I'd have given a lot for an ordinary chain. A roaring noise contributed to keeping me up most of the night--possibly an air conditioner in the hall, I'm not sure. I turned off the heating and cooling system in the room but that didn't help. The complimentary breakfast was inedible: fluffy, tasteless bagels and coffee that came from a container that must have once held hazelnut coffee. I don't usually write reviews but these problems were so bad and so specific that I felt I must.

Room Tip: Some rooms face an alley in which a bar holds a happy hour on picnic tables. They close up shop arou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us; we always are grateful to learn how we can improve our guest offering. We regret to learn of your disappointment and would have been glad to address it during your stay. We have 24/7 video surveillance and engineering/ maintenance department in attendance at all times; any security or product concern is immediately addressed. Our records indicate that our HVAC system was operating properly; regrettably Manhattan could be a noisy place, our apologies nevertheless.

Saint James, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just stayed here for a work function because it is located close to Wall Street but was disappointed. The carpets in the hallway are ripped, the hallways are dark, and the rooms are underwhelming. Bathroom is small as well. I would not stay here again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel is really nice. We stayed for 2 nights in September 2013; we've got very good rate, and I could not believe till the very moment we checked in, that our reservation was valid indeed. Especially, after reading terrifying reviews on other New York hotels, rates and level of service.
Location is excellent - just 2 minutes walk from several subway stations, 5 minutes walk to Liberty statue cruise boats, 2 minutes from Broadway, 15 minutes from Brooklyn bridge. Just on next street there's dozen pubs/tavernas with live music, beer etc.
There are 7*8=56 rooms in total. Our room was just great: nice furniture, properly working AC (we did not need it in September; I believe AC should work fine during both hot and cold weather), large TV (I could not figure out how cable-stuff TV remote works, though - being new to America we need just TV, ple-e-ase...). It was quiet inside in the evening, with crowds in nearby pubs gathering, quiet during a night, and still quiet in the morning, when traffic started running on nearby streets.
Interior is pretty splendid - it resembles the times, when this inn was founded. I'm not sure, but it is likely, that this place is a heritage one and hotel's staff does a great job preserving it in a very good condition.
Breakfast room looks marvelous as well. Breakfast is regular; but what is worth is you're sitting in nice room on an antique chair enjoying your breakfast...
Staff was very friendly, although we did not come up with any request.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Walking into this hotel is like walking into grandma's house; everything is old, hasn't been updated in decades, and is very quirky. The room itself was small but made up well. There were a few stains on the carpet of what might have been from cigarettes. I found no iron or ironing board which was disappointing. There was free WiFi which worked fine. The bathroom was tiny. The toilet paper roll was so close to the toilet that my thigh was jammed into the toilet paper while doing my business. The bathroom offered samples of Breath Right strips which was odd. The room did have a flat screen tv which seemed out of place for a room with this classic decor.The hotel is next to a bar so it was loud at times. The room also got very hot and humid and my sleep suffered as a result. The gym offered a treadmill, bike and elliptical. There was one weight machine and a bench. It would have been nice to have a mat to do sit ups and push ups etc. There were also strange boxes being stored in the gym. The hotel offers a continental breakfast. There were bagels, croissants and that's about it. Leo's bagels is a block away. Avoid the free breakfast and get a real NYC bagel. Overall the stay was fine for one night. I would not want to be there any longer than that. However, for money it should have been a lot nicer.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a lovely 5 night stay here, the hotel was very clean with a lovely bathroom! The bed was so comfy, perfect after busy days! Breakfast was good and tea/ coffee was available 24hrs as was delicious pastries!! Great location, you are never going to be close to everything in new york but this worked well for us. Would recommend!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wall Street Inn? Share your experiences!