“A little gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“A little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012 as part of a round world trip and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Found it on gaycities.com as I was looking for gay or gay friendly accommodation. Had a room on the 1st floor at the back of the Inn with ensuite (Room 10). The window looked out onto the back of other buildings but you're there to see things not stay in your room. Air conditioning works well and strong even though if it was a little noisy on high speeds. Booked it as it was close to a lot of places I was going to around Chelsea and Greenwich Village and found it very clean, quiet and comfortable. I was initially supposed to be staying for 5 days then going to Portland then coming back for a night before going to SF but Portland fell through - they were able to accommodate me for one of the extra nights but not in the same room. I had no noise from any other rooms and found the bed very comfortable. Small fridge in the closet; (as is the room safe) which was great for storing drinks and munchies. Several small grocery stores nearby. Bathroom spotless and water pressure was good in the shower. Only gripe was that the drinking cups were plastic.

Breakfast included; which looked very tasty (I don't eat breakfast); as was internet and the speed was fairly good for that. Had to go down to reception and get another internet voucher several times - the voucher is good for 24 hours usage (which lasts me several nights).

They stored my luggage for me while I had to stay in another hotel for 1 night (after a trip to Maine fell through) and when I came back I was able to leave my large case down at reception rather than lugging a heavy case up all the stairs, as the room this time was on the top floor; The room this time overlooked West 22nd St and share bathroom which was next door. Again clean bathroom and good water pressure. Found that there is also a small rooftop area which gives a decent view of the surrounding area and good for smokers and they had entertainment up there one night while I was at the hotel. I also got reception to book me a town car for my next airport trip which arrived on time.

To sum it up - good friendly service, clean comfortable rooms and breakfast and wifi included. What more do you want. And the price- about $220USD per night- which is good for NYC. I would definitley stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very quiet - no street noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

After staying in Harlem and Times Square, we ended up here because Hurricane Sandy grounded our flight out of NYC. This place was fantastic! I wish we knew about it as I really would have liked to have a couple of days here.

Very friendly and helpful staff helped us figure out what was going on with the roads and airports when the power was out and we couldn't watch the news. They made an effort to provide the guests with hot coffee and tea, even though there was no electricity. They put lights and candles in the guest house to provide us with as much hospitality as was possible at a time like this. Their attentiveness and friendly personalities made this stay very memorable.

For a very affordable price, we got a room with a comfortable bed, a tv, sink, and some storage units. Breakfast was also included, which constituted of toast, bagels, spreads, cereals, coffee, tea, juice. The shared bathroom was very modern and clean. The common space in the lobby was great for meeting people and hanging out in the late hours of the night. The guest house itself is on a quiet street, yet very close to amenities. There were some nice coffee shops and a few restaurants within a minute or two of walking. Chelsea is a very nice neighbourhood.

If I go back to New York, I will definitely make a reservation here and stay for a while.

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs... if you are not in top shape (or have a lot of luggage) I would suggest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Perhaps we had been spoilt by excellent B&Bs in Canada and New England before getting here, but this Inn is not exactly what you would expect from a B&B. It is a bit more like a hostel with rules, a general lack of trust (but it could just be NYC), many rooms and generally showing its age.

The room we had was fine with an excellent bathroom. However, the bedroom window was not sealed properly as the air-conditioning unit was stuffed in an old window that was jammed open and plastic was used to try and fill the gaps so there was still a cool draught coming in (until the central heating came on two days later). As a result, it was also quite noisy from the street - an entire Saturday workmen were outside drilling for oil or something. The room seemed big, but was still tight given the way the bed was positioned so you had to be careful not to bang your legs into it when getting about.

The breakfast was fine and the choices were good, but again not what you expect of a true B&B. It got a little crowded in the breakfast room and the clientèle are increasingly aged - some mornings it was a little like an old people's home with older folks dottering about struggling to figure out how the breakfast worked and it was all a bit much for them. One older gentleman quipped, in reference to his declining age, "I am still tired even when I've just got up in the morning".

The location is excellent and very handy to most things in Chelsea. The subway was fairly accessible too. The building is beautiful from the outside.

I can't strongly recommend this place, but for the price, this is probably as good as you can expect in Manhattan, unless you move up to the $350-450 a night price range. Most other US cities and towns are obviously better value and more comfortable, but NYC is NYC, I suppose.

Room Tip: Try and get a room, if it exists, where the window closes properly so as not to let in street noises...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marblehead, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our initial experience at check in wasn't very comforting..... but the rest of our stay made up for it!!

The room was comfortable & tidy.... a bit dilapidated though for the price we thought but that's NY I guess.

Bagels, cupcakes (YUM), fruit & coffee for breakfast every morning was great!

The Colonial House Inn was in the best area of Chelsea & most things.... if it wasn't then it was easy to get to! There is a fantastic coffee house - Grumpy which is on 20th (between 8 & 7)...also try Forage on the corner for lunch/dinner

Thanks to Tony & his crew for making our first visit a wonderful time & we'll be staying there again next time

Room Tip: If you don't like sharing bathrooms then make sure you get a room that has it's own. Ask fo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

It is rare to find accommodations in the city that are clean, safe, and affordable. Colonial House Inn was exactly that.
My room was one floor up from the lobby. It overlooked West 22nd Street. I had a comfortable bed, satellite TV, and a sink with hot and cold water. The shared bathroom was nearby and I did not have any trouble getting access to it when needed (it was also immaculately clean).
Each morning I got coffee and a banana – I preferred to poke around in the City for breakfast but there were definitely breakfast options available from 7-10 a.m.
There was someone on duty at the desk 24 hours a day to buzz me in.
Subway access was within a block or two, as well as plenty of dining options of all kinds. The staff at the “Forager’s Table” at 22nd and 8th were especially friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable about food.
I did venture up to the rooftop area to check it out right before leaving today; it is a nice plus to an already pleasant place!
I would also mention the artwork throughout the Colonial House. It added a neat aesthetic to the place, and I enjoyed the way it carried through all of the floors and (I assume) all of the rooms.

Room Tip: The shared bathroom was immaculate but if you hate sharing bathrooms with other guests, make sure an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The location is ideal and the staff is very friendly. It was a very clean house and the room and bathroom were tidy. My friend and I traveled together and shared the queen bed which was enough room. Also, I have seen smaller rooms in NYC so it wasn't bad, especially since we had a beautiful view of the street and our own mirror and sink. Sharing a bathroom with the floor is no big deal. I wish we could've gotten eggs and/or other protein options at breakfast but there are plenty of cafes nearby to pop in for an omelet or egg sandwich.

My only complaint is that our bed was pretty hard. Fortunately, I sleep on my stomach so it wasn't a horrible experience but my friend sleeps on her back and every morning she expressed how sore her back was...We were relieved to come back home to our soft comfy beds. I think it was the hardest bed I have ever slept on at a B&B/hotel. We sent an email to the owner hoping he'd have a resolution for us, but he didn't respond, soo... we just dealt with it. Anyway, it would have been the perfect, five-star stay had that been different.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Cute place, nice location, clean rooms, friendly staff. The shared bathroom with the room i got wasnt a problem and the ac was nice and cold. Close to the chelsea market and cute restaurants. Cupcakes with breakfast!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!