“Lovely Show; Time flies” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 846 attractions in New York City
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Once is the celebrated new musical based on the Academy Award-winning film. It tells the story of an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant drawn together by their shared love of music. Over the course of one fateful week, their unexpected friendship and collaboration evolves into a powerful but complicated romance, heightened by the raw emotion of the songs they create together. Brought to the stage by an award-winning team of visionary artists and featuring an ensemble cast of gifted actor/musicians, once is a musical celebration of life and love: thrilling in its originality, daring in its honesty... and unforgettable in every way.
Tallmadge
8 attraction reviews
“Lovely Show; Time flies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were lucky enough to get great seats for this show and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast was terrific and the time flew by.....couldn't believe how quickly time passed. If you go, try to get seats mid orchestra or lower balcony so you can see the full cast as they use the entire stage....all the way out to the sides and you don't want to miss a thing.

Chicago
“Almost Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I went on a recent Saturday night, and the understudy was playing the male lead. He was good: a good actor and a good voice for most of the music. And the music is really the key to this show. But my issue was with one of his opening numbers: the "lost love" song that the girl lead overhears him sing and leads her to begin their relationship. To my taste, he "chewed the scenery" too much on the song: too over the top for a blues. It took me 20 or 30 minutes to really get back into the show, which is one of the best on Broadway right now. Billie Holliday could sing blues with feeling without raising her voice beyond a whisper... The male lead handled the rest of the music beautifully, but to my thinking, not this song. And early in the show, this one is key...

Birmingham, Alabama
“well... it was ok... I guess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

When a musical has 8 tonys - I feel a little strange saying it was just ok. I enjoyed the music. I enjoyed the "acting." I enjoyed the way the performers moved the sets themselves in a "dance like" way. I didn't expect a BIG production. I knew what I was getting. But I felt he storyline was lacking. Moreover, the tkts / tdf reviews were misleading. They said this was an "extremely wholesome" show and had "limited profanity." I strongly disagree. Wholesome, no. Lots of sexual innuendo and outright sexual references. Limited profanity, NO. LOTS of profanity with the "f" word being used quite liberally. It is especially painful knowing that on this trip I had the opportunity to see one show and there were others I really wanted to see. I wish this was not my pick. (additional info: patrons can go on stage before the show and during intermission to order drinks. Generic bottled water was $5, Ginger ale from a fountain ((not bottle or can)) was $10.)

Helsinki, Finland
3 attraction reviews
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We expected a lot more Irish music, instead there were long and tedious conversations in a brogue, difficult to understand and often impossible to hear. Altogether, a mediocre performance.

Katy, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“New music, but with folk roots!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife picked this as our one musical to see on his trip, knowing my likes in music (folksy with some Irish & Celtic mix) and she could not have done better. The show has great music that I enjoyed but it still has a storyline to go with it, and enough humor to keep you chuckling. It does not have the glitz and glamour of the big shows, and that was fine with me. I wanted an intimate show with acoustic music. This show fit the bill. If you go, make sure you get there early to get to see all the warmups and see the bar in action. It's hard to tell when the show really starts, so don't miss any of the pre-show action.

Visited October 2013