“Not Bad!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York at Times Square

You added The Westin New York at Times Square to your Saves list
The Westin New York at Times Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 West 43rd Street, At 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #157 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Peckville, Pennsylvania
“Not Bad!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

I got there early at 10:30am and my room was ready. The front desk staff were very friendly and eager to impress. The room was large and if you get a top floor I am sure it has a great view. I was on 19 and the view was not terrific. It is in a great location; a block away from port authority and a block from all of times squares festivities! The show Rent is one street away! The room was clean (I base it on hair found in the tub) but there was some dust in the corners. Bed was comfy and th AC worked well. I would definately stay in this hotel again. Only negative were the bell men. They actually told us to go into the storage and grab our own bag. Granted we did have tickets but it does leave the chance of baggage being stolen.

I was expecting awful stuff after reading these reviews so I must say that I was pleasently surprised.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

I was given a 46th floor room with a beautiful view looking west towards New Jersey. Needless to say, being at Times Square has its advantages but also its disadvantages--one has to wend one's way through the jungle of people just to get to the hotel. The service was fine except for when I had checked out and I asked to store one small and light valise for a few hours with a baggage storage person who kept hinting ever more loudly that he would not be in later in the day when I was due back to retrieve my bag ie. he wanted a tip. I thought this was a bit offputting. The only other thing that was a bit offputting was use of the excellent gym nicked me of 10 dollars. I think for over 300 a night, this should be offered to guests or at the very list 'gym use for a fee' should be clearly posted on their Westin internet site. Bed was profoundly comfortable as per usual of Westin hotels.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

I absolutely love staying in Times Square so this hotel proved to be great. I found the service excellent and attentive. The beds are comfortable and a great place for a weekend getaway. Close to Broadway shows and shopping. Loved the place and will go back!!!

Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

We were in NYC for business and stayed for the weekend. We really enjoyed the hotel and its accomodations. The rooms have a very modern design. The food was excellent at Shula's Steak House (one of the best filet mignons I had in NYC). The Bar is very trendy with its eclectic atmosphere. Staff is very professional. I particularly liked the concierge staff who helped me with all of our dinner reservations. We used the Fitness room every day. The equipment was very good.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

Wow...this was my 3rd stay at the Westin Times Square, and unlike the prior visits, this one was disappointing. Perhaps it was because of the apparent 100% occupancy across the city, but in the end, the service was avg to poor. The reasons:

1) Upon checking in, the desk informed me that I had a fax and kindly indicated they would deliver to my room. It never arrived. When I called back, the operator claimed there was no fax and then sternly asked what "EXACTLY" did the receptionist say. She later figured out that it was at the business center and would have security find and bring it up to me. The kicker...I received a message late that night saying they could not find it and that I needed to call them up again in the AM. Huh?

2) The room itself, on a club floor, had an awful odor when I checked in. The A/C was not turned on as usually done to circulate air, which may have caused the problem. When I called "Service Express", they indicated that there were no other rooms available! I was there at 5PM and surely not everyone had arrived by that time. They then offered to "ozonate" the room, which would require me to leave the room for 30 mins. I finally convinced them to also re-clean the bathroom from where the odor seemed to originate. Odor was never fully removed...

Beyond the service issues, room itself was still comfortable. Heavenly bed is awesome as always. However, room showed some wear with the furnishings as well.

I'm guessing this hotel went under a management change as this experience (3 star at best) was dramatically different from my previous 5 star rating visits. Hope they get back on track as it's been a great property in the past in a great location.

Colchester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

Arrived at 2.30 to see if Club Room we had booked was ready, and like many reviews recently it wasn't. Tired as we were, this was OK as check-in time wasn't really until 3pm. 3.05 arrived and I went up again asking if room was ready - after a 5 minute wait I was advised it was not, but as it was a corner room, it would be worth the wait. I was quite OK with this, even above the shouts of other guests who clearly were not, with the same issue. I was also given a voucher for 2 complimentary drinks which was a nice touch - I didn't see any of those handed out elsewhere - it pays to be patient!

At 3.45 I tentatively approached again to ask if my corner room was ready. Corner room? Oh no sir, you had never been allocated one of those, just a standard room. I queried that, and despite showing her who had confirmed this to me, it was just not going to happen. So happy to at least get a room, I accepted, took the key and went upstairs to our room, overlooking a building area.

Room was smaller than expected, and appeared to be a disabled room. Bathroom space was quite large, with handrails all over the place and a moving trolley (small, metal on wheels) for all your bathroom items. There was no other shelves, no room on the sink (we had a small metal basin and that was that) and little else. The shower was large, no bath as promised, and had a large disabled seat on the edge.

Yes, the beds and pillows were fantastic - one of the best we have ever had. Overall the room disappointed - a bit tatty and dull, bathroom very sparse and clinical and not such a great view. Staff were great and apologetic and despite me not getting a room I thought we would, the overall service was OK. I was a bit surprised about the 'complimentary' breakfast / evening hors d'ouevres. Minimal choice but pleasant enough, all laid out on a table for you with complete self service. Conveneintly laid out on the desk where you had to sign in, were slips to sign to add your gratuity - what for? Ones left on top for people to see (and I think these were out everyday) were the ones showing $15 and $10 in the same handwriting... a ploy to get people to tip? I don't know, some people left one, some didn't.

Shula's steak House served great steak, though lacked a bit of atmosphere, having no windows and very dim lighting, similar to a dungeon. Service and food was good, but could have done with a bit of brightening up - quite costly too. Hotel in general appeared in good decor, and a great location for almost anything.

Overall I was slightly disappointed in the hotel - it wasn't a bad hotel but I wouldn't rate it 5 star - 3 1/2 to 4; great location, OK rooms, fantastic beds, OK dining facilities, nice staff, OK room etc. Not sure if I would go there again - did enjoy the Renaissance or even the Novotel, and apart from the beds (!), would perhaps try these out once more.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

Location is great. Just off Times Sqr, with entrances on two streets. Rooms are nice. Bed is very comfortable. Although, calling it "Heavenly" is a bit much, they are much better than most hotels. Go for a room on the spa floor. I like having Bose clock radio, use an ipod with itrip and you're good to go. Food is excellent, pricy but excellent. Staff was helpful, not very attentive, but I guess they don't have to be, it's a very busy hotel. But they're efficient, and that's what counts.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Been to The Westin New York at Times Square? Share your experiences!