“Nice hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin New York at Times Square

You added The Westin New York at Times Square to your Saves list
The Westin New York at Times Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 West 43rd Street, At 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #157 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Smithville, Texas
“Nice hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Westin New York at Times Square was a very nice hotel. Large lobby with comfortable chairs, which we used while waiting for our tour bus to the airport, and plugs available to charge various electronic devices. Clean and comfortable rooms. We really weren't there long enough to use any facilities or services so I can't comment on them. I can say we enjoyed the location; we had tickets to Once the Musical and it was very close to the theater so we were able to walk. Also ventured to Times Square after the play and took a walk along 8th Avenue the following morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (911)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brownsville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was the beginning of a five day 40th birthday trip for my wife. When I booked the reservation with Westin, I advised them it was her birthday. We arrived prior to the 3pm check-in and they were accommodating in providing us with a room early and with a great view overlooking the Empire State Building and Jersey to the other side. At check-in when I advised of her birthday, the gentleman checking me in asked for my wife's FULL NAME, thus thinking that something would be delivered to the room, even if it was a personalized card from management congratulating her on her birthday. Nothing ever arrived.

Secondly, as in most 4-5 star hotels, especially with the Westin name attached to it, there is usually a bed turndown service every night. Especially after coming back from a long day out shopping, shows, sightseeing, etc., it would be nice to come back to a room that was set to detail and welcoming. Not done.

I was just expecting something a little more detail oriented, considering it was a special occasion and the fact that it was a Westin. A little disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was very satisfied with my stay at the Westin. I loved the location as it is close to many attractions such as Times Square, but not too close. There is a small deli across the street that has great breakfast options, including smoothies. I loved the fact that I could return to my room after a long fun-filled day in NYC, and relax in a nice comfortable bed. I was on the 43rd floor so I could not hear any outside traffic noise. The only issue I had was the mildew smell in the bathroom and on the towels; otherwise lovely stay and will definitely return for my next adventure in the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

The room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. It was a little small, but that's okay for a short period of time. The staff was accommodating to our need to check.out a little later. Also, if you're coming in late at night be prepared to show your room key once inside the door. I liked the fact that someone couldn't just walk in off the street without presenting a room key. We didn't use any of the other offerings since we wanted to stay out and on the town for as long as possible each day. It is pricey, but since New York recently dashed our plans to stay at an apartment (through airbnb.com) we didn't have a choice.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My first time back in a few years, and I stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms. Quite beautiful...I would recommend the corner King room, a slight upgrade, because it's spacious, bright and gives a nice panoramic view. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly, and they were patient dealing with me when I had a reservation problem that wasn't the hotel's fault and it took 45 minutes to resolve. The bar is expensive as any nice NYC hotel bar is, but it's cozy, the staff are professional and friendly, and I had a couple of successful business meetings there. While I do NOT like Times Square, this hotel's proximity to Penn Station, subway and other landmarks is convenient, the beds and room amenities are excellent, and I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The room we got was on a very higher floor with a very good view and ample natural light.
The location is excellent and fairly close to all attractions.
However, the people at the ground floor reception were pretty rude both at the time of check in and check out.
The value for money is very good for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Spent 6 nights here in late August - early September. Stayed in corner king room as booked on 32nd floor. Great views and nice room. However first impressions were very poor - after a group of doormen / porters watched us struggle with bags from a taxi and up the escalators past their desk, we were greeted by an appalling attitude by a male receptionist at check in. Having waited 15 minutes to check in I was reprimanded for being in the wrong SPG queue (whilst I am an SPG member, apparently my status was not platinum etc.) After a 24 hour flight from Australia, the last thing I needed was a lesson in queueing. Worth noting there was no queue in the non SPG line by the time we were served so his lesson was unnecessary as well as rude. Further when there was an admin error regarding our check out date he could not have cared less and told me that was for me to work out with my travel agent in Australia.

Fortunately my other dealings with other front counter staff were more positive during our week long stay.

Hotel room doors with a 'soft close' would be a great contributor to being able to enjoy the heavenly beds longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin New York at Times Square? Share your experiences!