“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel at Times Square

Save Saved
You added The Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
The Hotel at Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   59 West 46th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #246 of 452 hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Washington
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Arrived 3.22.13 after our cruise to spend some time in NYC. We reserved a non-smoking room with two queen beds, and were surprised at the size of the room – quite spacious, especially by New York standards. The room itself was clean with minimal street noise. The concierge was helpful and assisted us in planning our subway routes and choosing a tour. The Wifi was great in the lobby, and I was happy that I was able to use the printer to print our free tickets to the 9/11 Memorial (recommended).

The elevator is small and slow. The hallways between rooms are dirty and in dire need of vacuuming. The bar on the second floor is convenient but needs a scrubbing, and the Christmas décor removed (it’s March people!). Also, the first bartender we experienced there couldn’t be bothered to assist us as she was busy on Facebook and flirting with the cute boys that came in. She couldn’t mix a drink to save her life. On the other hand, Lisa was exceptional, and was the reason we returned a few more times. There’s a great restaurant a few doors down called Ipanema, excellent Brazilian food.

Times Square is right down the block as are many different subway stations, etc. I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and location is important to you. It’s not the “W” but it worked well for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

1,703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Portugal (Algarve)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Cleaning and location?? Clean and well located !! And nothing to say about the hotel employees.
The hotel itself is not a Boutique Hotel, if you know the meaning of a "Boutique Hotel", because is only an old 3 star hotel, which was renovated not too well, and that's all you should expect. What's worse is that, in a 3 star hotel the breakfast is so basic and taken into disposable dishes (like Camping) !? Be counting on WI FI and not having it in the room !? Or the view from our room (909) to be worst we ever had from a hotel room, !? And I had to choose either slept with noise and kept the hot air machine on?? Or turned off and had cold overnight ?? Or after a long day having to walk up to the ninth floor because the elevators do not always work as they should, it's not very nice!?
Having already been several times in NY, I can say from experience itself, which are much better and almost nearly the same price, and the breakfast and W FI included in the room price, not worth it, although it is why many choose this hotel. However, outside the hotel, NY remains the Wonderful and Amazing New York "The City" !!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear mjdemony,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you were not pleased with your stay. As you can see from the many positive reviews we get, our hotel offers highly competitive rates along with a range of free amenities including Free breakfast and 24 hour cappuccino/coffee/tea. We do use disposable dishes for our breakfast service all of which are environmentally friendly. Unfortunately, as is typical of many New York hotels, not all of our rooms have views. As buildings in New York City are tall and very close together, some of the windows do not face the outside. Our elevators work properly, but sometimes during busier hours of the day they can get held up.
We apologize for the many inconveniences you faced at our hotel. The majority of our guests are very satisfied with their stay because of the location, clean rooms, free breakfast, free WiFi, and free domestic phone calls.
We hope you will give us another chance on your next trip to New York City.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Good service with friendly staff. Nice clean rooms, however the rooms were a bit small. Location was excellent, literally a 5min walk from Times Sq. Our room also had a nice view of NYC. i would possibly consider returning to this hotel, but the room did bother me for the price we paid. Not as modern as other hotels in the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The wife and I were in NYC for 2 nights prior to a Bahamas cruise. I had searched high and low for a reasonable rate and had settled on one of the Double Trees in NYC. Unfortunately the rate jumped before I booked so I started looking a little more. I hadn't seen this hotel before but it showed up at $150 a night so it warranted a closer look.

For my $150 a night I got free wifi and breakfast. This is what really sealed the deal for me. Add this to the great location only a couple blocks from Times Square and I felt that I got a great value. There is a nice lobby with computers for guests at no charge. Hot water was great and so was the shower. The staff was very friendly.

The only negative I have was the room size. It was small. I guess this is the norm in NYC though.

When we go back I expect that The Hotel at Times Square is where we will stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Excellent location, very good breakfast, efficient house keeping, unhelpful conceirge which couldn't answer some simple questions and I suggest to be joined with the reception counter and to use its original space for other activities. In the midnight, their was NO spare electric adaptor to borrow and the receptionist guided me where I can buy one from!
Free WIFI, complimentary daily newspaper, free Computer with a printer in the lobby area (just ask the reception for password), free coffee, tea & hot chocolate for 24h in the lobby, free national telephone calls from your room telephone (were told about that a little pit late). We had a complimentary late check out because of our long stay (triple room for 16 nights).
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: away from elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We travelled to NYC for our first time and needed a room for only one night since we were staying with a friend the rest of the time. We found this place online, and ended up booking it because it was a reasonable price and close to Times Square, which is where we figured we'd visit the first night. Upon check in they couldn't find our reservation, and it ended up that the reservation had been made for the night before. We thought maybe we could just change the reservation date for that day, but that was not the case. Now I understand that it was our fault the room was booked incorrectly, however it was a simple human error that wasn't done on purpose. We were forced to pay for another room, and when I asked why we couldn't switch dates the the girl checking us in just said "I can let you speak with the manager, but she's not going to do anything". I hate to pull this card, but I used to work in management at the front office for a very large resort in Florida, and we would've accommodated a person in my situation, made sure that we took care of them , and didn't make them feel like they were idiots. Because of this experience I won't be returning. The rooms were really good, but that situation could've been handled differently, especially considering I know that resort wasn't booked up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear MG239,
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the mix-up. Like most hotels these days, we send out an email confirmation which will tell you the date you reserved a room for. We also remind you that in order to cancel a reservation without a charge you must call by 3pm the day before arrival, otherwise you will be charged for one night. We realize that once in a while mistakes happen, but this is why we send out the confirmation email so guests can make sure they reserved for the correct night.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will reconsider staying with us for future visits to New York City.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are in NYC, you probably aren't planning to spend much time in your hotel room. You just need a modest priced, comfy place to crash that is close to the places you want to go. This hotel fits the bill perfectly! The decor in the room was very relaxing, the bed was super comfortable. I could hear the street noise from the bathroom, but when I closed the bathroom door, the room was extremely quiet and so clean! The hotel offers breakfast with the room and while it wasn't anything spectacular, the breakfast had a wide variety of options plus coffee and juice. The only negatives were the cramped hallways and the elevator that didn't run very often. Everything else was much better than I expected for a hotel at this price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!