“A new twist on the phrase a room with a view” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Morningside Inn

You added Morningside Inn to your Saves list
Morningside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 West 107th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #380 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Tampa
“A new twist on the phrase a room with a view”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I should have known something was amiss when I was given the opportunity to "check out" the room before I paid for it. I did not appreciate what it means to check out a hotel room at that time - I do now. I opened the door to the hallway and suddenly realized that I should have had some Febreeze. The sour smell of carpet which had been wet and not dry cleaned was apparent. I should have known something was amiss. But I simply poked my head into the room, saw two beds with clean white linen and said "thank you" for the attendant who checked me in. I did not stay very long because I was meeting some friends who happened to be in town from across the country.
I returned later and turned on the room light on the wall. The light came on but so did the fan. I tried to turn off the light but keep on the fan. No such luck (initially anyway). I saw a remote control on the wall and decided to play with it. It turned off the light and the fan. I kept clicking until the light went off and the fan stayed on. Thinking I had achieved my objective, I laid in the bed and went to sleep. I woke up later that night and the fan was not longer on. I turned it on again and went back to sleep. I awoke an hour later and it was off again. Playing cat and mouse with the remote, I decided to let it be. I was tired. Around 3:55 am, I heard two people arguing. They were so loud I thought they were standing outside my door. I never heard the staff intercede.

I woke up the next morning and decided to shower. I have never been inside a bathtub quite like the one in my room. It was about three feet long and two feet wide. I laughed out loud. It looked like a white bassinet glued to the ground. I then put my back against the wall and extended my leg. It touched the other wall. I am 5'7". In addition to the micro bathtub, the bathroom had a commode. There were no towel racks and no mirror or sink. The sink was in the main room. To use it, I had to sit on the edge of the bed. The cabinet doors did not shut and they had no handles. As I stepped into the micro bathtub, I turned around and there it was. A window into the shower area. No curtain or covering lie between my naked body and the four windows from the adjacent building. I finished showering, stepped out to get my cellphone, and took two photos. I have added them to this review.

Before I left that morning, an employee asked me to give her my dirty towels. I did so. As I left the room, I noticed that the door did not close properly. I had to lock the door from the inside. I had not seen a lock with a "push button" in more 35 years. I had been transported back to the 1960s.

When I returned to my room, I noticed that two washcloths and two bath towels had been placed into my room. But otherwise, my room looked the same. The bed was unmade and it appeared that no one had been inside. I thought about what kind of "housekeeping tip" I would leave upon checkout.

The outside temperature dipped to 47 degrees. I looked for some heat. I saw what appeared to be an accordion style heater along the far wall. It was half the size of a regular bed pillow. I then realized there was no air conditioner at all. The heater is controlled by management. I had no option but to sleep in the cold room. I pulled the blanket off the second bed. My feet were still cold. I had to put on a set of socks.

Finally, a word on the wifi. It never worked.

I laughed at my naivete. I think they owe me for staying at the place. There is absolutely no threat of me staying there again. If you want some place to stay in NYC, try somewhere else. This hotel should be embarrassed to call itself a hotel. It is a low scale hostel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My room was very nice. The linens were clean everything else was also clean. It had a cute little TV. Overall I really liked my room and was surprised because I expected it to be unkempt. The only thing I didn't like was that I didn't get my own shower and toilet, but other than that it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: I think what helped me was seeing pictures from the hotel or people that have stayed there.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

The Morningside Inn is a well organized hostel with friendly staff. The rooms are ok and there is even a kitchenette. The shared bathrooms are impractical, but quite clean. Bus and metro will get you downtown easily.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

I had made the reservation for two ppl with shared bathroom, but the day we arrived a friend joined us and they gave us a double bed room with private bathroom even though they were "full". The woman at the front desk was very very helpful and nice.

The room was very clean, enough towels and soap :)
We didn't had wifi at the room, we had to get outside the room stay at the hall.

Room Tip: private bathrooms make the difference in your trip :)
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2015

What a horrifying 'hotel'!! This not a hotel but a hostel, they advertised it as a hotel. Rude and unprofessional staff including the 'manager Trevor'. Take a course in customer service for you and your staff and dress and speak properly to your guests. And as you can see, I write my review. Your threats dont work. Pubic hair in the shared bathroom, no soap, no toiletpaper. We stayed 3 nights here and I believe they only cleaned it once. Stains and hair on sheets and pillow. There is only the smell of food and weed in the hallways. Wifi barely works. No mirror in the room, no place to store your luggage. The rooms are way too small. This was just overall a gross place to stay and definately not worth your money. Will never ever come back to this filthy place and wont advice this hostel to any of my friends nor family.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
We have many types of room here at the Morningside Inn and this young lady booked on a third party site and misunderstood what type of room she was booking..WE are not a Hostel you have your own private CLEAN ROOM WITH CLEAN LINEN.you only share the bathroom.this guest unfortunately was very unruly and difficult to deal with but we try to make her stay comftable,and i have one question about the review, who is Trevor?we have no managers name Trevor sorry.
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2015

Reasonably priced double room with shared bathroom and toilet. The room was very clean. Comparing the prices of the private rooms in other places in Manhattan this was a very good deal. It had a fridge, sink, cable TV, double bed and enough storage for clothes. Had no problem with the staff.

The only issue which i had was the internet. It is extremely slow on some floors.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Been to Morningside Inn? Share your experiences!