“Very clean hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morningside Inn

You added Morningside Inn to your Saves list
Morningside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 West 107th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #376 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Sao Paulo, Sp
“Very clean hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was surprised with this hostel, I got a private room and it came with a queen bed, the room was very clean like a good hotel. Good environment, quiet and with nice front desk person. No complains at all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hostel is on the Upper West Side of NY, which is considered the rich part of Manhattan. I had the budget single room, which had a full/dbl size bed, mini fridge, sink (with no mirror), small dresser, small closet, and TV (which didn't work). I paid like $80/night (total for three nights came to $270) and the room size was perfect for me since I traveled solo. I was right next to the bathroom in the hall, so that was a plus also. I didnt' have to walk down the hall or far from my room. I had two issues with this hotel. The first was that I booked this through www. agoda.com and when I went to confirm my reservation the day before my arrival, the hotel didn't have me in the system. Luckily, the front desk person (Wendy) was nice and she said that they have plenty of rooms and I would have one when I arrived the next day. So, I then called Agoda to see what the mix-up was. They, too, were nice about it and called the hotel while I waited on hold to make sure I was in their system. No one could tell me why I wasn't in the hotel system. I'm glad I called ahead of time! Jeez!

My second issue was that when I got to the hotel (I stayed Thus thru Sunday) the TV didn't work. I didn't try to turn it on until Fri morning while I was getting ready for my day. It said something about a remote and there was not a remote in the room. So I stopped by the front desk on my way out and told the front desk person. She said that they were in the middle of converting from old to new cable boxes, so some rooms had cable and some didn't. Of course I had a room with no cable. She said she would talk to the manager (Patrick). I stopped back by Fri night and she said the manager said the TVs should be back on Sat. I said ok and asked when he would be in the office. She said from 8-4pm so I was going to try and catch him Sat. Sat morning about 9am I stop by the front desk and she said Patrick hadn't come in yet because he had to work overnight, but that he should be there by noon. Well I was on my way out for the day and was not gonna wait around for him. I was leaving the next day (Sunday) and at this point it was ridiculous playing cat and mouse.

My point of trying to talk to Patrick was to get some kind of compensation for my stay. I understand that most people aren't even in their rooms half the time, but I'm one that likes the TV on when I am getting ready in the morning and watches it before I go to sleep at night. It would have simply been nice to know I had a room with no TV when I checked in that I had no working TV because to me that's false advertising.

PROS: Only 3 blocks to subway, Great price for the location, right next to my bank/ATM, close to food/restaurants
CONS: Communication sucked (between Agoda and the hotel with my reservation, and the fact that no one told my I had a non-working TV). Too far from where I spent most of my time. I was primarily in lower Manhattan so it took 35-45min by subway ride. Loud, walls thin, can hear your neighbor (I was prepared with other reviews and brought ear plugs, so I was fine)

Room Tip: I was in 408. It was right next to the bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Rangamati, Bangladesh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The place is good for the price, and reception people are friendly and helpful. But during our stay a bag full of goodies I bought in the pharmacy - and I bought a lot, for $145 - was gone. It was sitting there on the bathroom floor, and then it was gone. To be fair the manager offered us refund but since he didn't know who took it we didn't want him to impose the fine on an innocent person. Apart from that good place and good location, and if we are in new York we will go for it again I suppose

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Riga, Latvia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Actully everything was nice - location is good, lovely bars and restaurants around, staff is nice, elevator. BUT - something with plumbing (? water in WC) - time after time there is terrible sound from water coming (from somewhere). Acoustic is low, so you can't sleep. There is kitchen also, just no dishes at all, so you can't prepare food or even tea/coffe.
Otherwise - price is very good for what you get, very good that WC is inside room. We came from Europe, adaptation period is longer, so it is good if you have more comfort! Thank you :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Been to Morningside Inn? Share your experiences!