“Good value, nice place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morningside Inn

Save Saved
You added Morningside Inn to your Saves list
Morningside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 West 107th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #373 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Good value, nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The room we got was modest-sized but very adequate -- double bed, private bath with shower, nice flat wall TV. It was clean and quiet. Shared kitchen was very useful. Quiet, pretty neighborhood. Good access to transit everywhere. Negatives: only one window with view of an alley between buildings, elevator sometimes slow. Overall, a great place, especially for the cost.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
miami florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here but would've loved to have stayed longer. Great location, clean room very cheap rate and our room was ready before check in time which was great because we were pretty tired the staff was great and very helpful they helped us get around new York city and print out tickets through their PC. The metro station is just 3 streets away, and the train takes you to the center off time square I will definitely be coming back to Morningside hotel, had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We didn't stay in our room at all except for sleeping, so we really didn't care much about it. The tiny flatscreen was a pleasant surprise and we had our own bathroom, which was nice. However, there's no elevator, which could be a problem if you have a lot of luggage. We didn't, though, so it was fine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Morningside Inn for 6 days and it was fantastic value for the money. The room was small but very clean and had everything I needed. The wifi was pretty good except at high volume times of day ( on the sixth floor). The location is great and the amenities directly around it make it easy to eat cheap while in the city, especially Absolute bagels. The staff were friendly and helped out when my flight was cancelled. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews but I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to those who are traveling on a budget.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My decision to stay here was based on the location near the subway line a ride away from midtown. I enjoyed walking Broadway and Riverside park . Last time I stayed in Queens and it was long ride in the subway. You are paying to stay in a safe neighborhood blocks away from Columbia University, I really can't say much for the amenities of the room when you have the city so close. It was a convenient and cheap place to crash, that's it. Patrick, the manager was helpful and friendly finding a car service to the airport. I be coming back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I just read the previous reviews and I have to say I was shocked!! Patrick the manager is such a gentleman, he assisted me with places to go what to see, what is good to eat. the rest of his staff was sweet but not full of information. the room I had was 102 on the first floors, BEAUTIFUL!!!
very clean, towels 32 inch flat screen need more channels only complaint. my experience was so good I am coming back in the fall. come to Morningside you will be pleasantly surprise!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! The manager Patrick became verbally aggressive when we simply asked to be moved to a room with a private ensuite, as we had booked online.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were told by the receptionist they did not have our booking and we had to move to a different hotel for the night where we had to pay more for the room. When we arrived back the next day the manager, Patrick, informed us that the staff member we spoke to the previous day was stupid and doesn't know how to do her job, and they did in fact have our booking. We were then given a room but were not able to check in until the afternoon. When we arrived back in the evening we discovered our room did not have an ensuite as booked online. When we asked the receptionist about this she said she didn't have access to the computer system to check if there were any rooms with an ensuite available. When we asked to speak to the manager he was phoned and spent the next 20-30mins verbally abusing us. He said we didn't present him with the paperwork for the booking when we checked in and so he hadn't known we booked a room with an ensuite, and we were now being unreasonable and causing trouble, and he was going to come down and give us our money back and we could leave the hotel. We had in fact offered to show him the email confirmation of the booking upon arrival, however he did not want to see it. How can the hotel not have their own records of bookings??? We were unable to get more than a few words in on the phone and Patrick continued to yell at us and threaten to kick us out of the hotel. We would have preferred not to stay there, however it was peak season and we couldn't get accommodation at another hotel in our price range. So the remaining of our time at the hotel was spent afraid that we would again be yelled at by Patrick.

The room itself was very basic. The a/c was effective but very noisy. The double bed had a terrible mattress which meant the 2 of us sharing it ended up rolling into the middle of it each night and not sleeping well. The wifi barely worked, even in reception. Phone in room didn't work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
It is amazing to me when some one calls you aggressive because you cannot grant a customer request.these ladies came to the hotel to check in but unfortunately the name on the reservation was not the same ,so my staff did not allow the person to check in without notification from the person who originally made the reservation.the ladies then told us the person in question is not coming so what we did was call another hotel who we work with and we assist them in getting a room we even paid for the cab ride.the next day they wanted to return to our hotel and I allow them to,the only room that i had was a shared bath they did not have a problem with it.after i left the hotel the ladies in question came down to the front desk and ask to be upgraded i told the ladies that we did not have any rooms left but this was not enough for these ladies they verbally attacked my staff demanding to call me,i called them back and i advise the ladies to remain calm they was very persistent i offer these ladies their money back but they refused i told them their behavior toward my staff was not necessary and i will refund their money if they felt the room was not up to their standard,they stayed so if i was so aggressive why stay then. my my my.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Been to Morningside Inn? Share your experiences!