“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Morningside Inn

You added Morningside Inn to your Saves list
Morningside Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 West 107th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #380 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Quezon City, Philippines
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I tried looking for the cheapest accomodation in New York in Autumn. Of course, it was difficult and so I settled for this hostel as it's location is good and indeed one of the cheapest in NYC. Reservation was not as efficient as I hoped. I had to call numerous times as I found out that the room I booked was not actually reserved for me and offered to somebody else. Well, they sorted it out after several long distance calls, but I almost had to beg them to give me assurance that I'll have a room when I get there. I booked a standard single and it was even worse than my very low expectation. It was a really tiny room with a small window and furniture that looked like it was bought from a flea market or salvaged from a garage sale. It was a nightmare and I really didn't even want to sit on the bed. I felt so sorry for myself for traveling on a budget, I wanted to cry. The view from the window was depressing. The shared bathroom was soooo bad I stopped myself from drinking liquids to limit my use of the toilet. After 2 sleepless nights, i tried asking Patrick to transfer me to a deluxe room or anything better than what I had and luckily they found one for me. Patrick was helpful. The new room I got was wayyy better, with my own toilet and bath. Still not the best, but at that time it was a big relief for me. Room was still small but a lot bigger than the previous one. It was decent enough. Wifi is only available at the lobby. I had to sit on the stairs. On their website they say that they have a common room/lounge area at the basement where there's wifi. Yes, there's a lounge area that was pretty scary and empty, and of course, there's no wifi there.

Room Tip: Do not book the cheapest room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The location is good but the service is terrible! I had a brand new dress stained by Bleach in my own room by one of the maids and they said I was lying and that they wouldn't pay for that. Felt really injured. From where I come from the costumer is always right and must be well treated so he can come back other times. That's not what happened here and that's why I'll never get back neither recommend Morningside Inn!!!

• Stayed May 2013
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Having read a number of bad reviews for the Morningside Inn, and also emailing the manager & not receiving a response, I was concerned about staying there but I needn’t have worried. I booked a budget single room and my friends booked a budget double and I asked if we could have rooms on the same floor, which was fulfilled. We were given 2 rooms on the 4th floor. Upon arrival we were booked in & my friends had a double bed, drawers, wardrobe, sink, a fridge & a TV in their room. My room had a double bed, a chest of drawers and a mirror and not much else. I enquired about a TV as budget singles were described as having TV’s in all rooms. The lovely lady, Wendy, on reception said that there wasn’t much that she could do that evening but would see what she could do the following day. When I got back to my room in the afternoon of the following day I had a very large, & what looked like brand new, TV!

As for the shared bathrooms, not once during my stay did I have a problem finding one. There are two on each floor & one of them was always free. They were very clean and seemed to be cleaned regularly. There is also a maid service and we were given fresh towels every day and the bed was made up (and sheets changed a couple of times during a 7 night stay). Although there was often a smell of disinfectant around the place, it was reassuring to know how much it was cleaned. Not one cockroach or bedbug in sight!

I suffer with a bad back but found the bed to be very comfortable, despite some of the reviews that I had read previously. This may vary from room to room though.

Even though we were on the 4th floor, there was a strong WiFi signal and we never had a problem with the WiFi. (Reception will give you the passwords for the various WiFi signals).

The hotel/hostel is in a great area – so many bars and places to eat. We found some great bars and met some lovely locals. The area also feels very safe. The metro is nearby, just a few blocks away. It’s good to walk around the area a bit though to discover the many very good places to eat/drink.

I would definitely recommend this place to friends and I would also stay there again. The only problem we found was the other guests who, most of the time, seemed insensitive and selfish and enjoyed slamming doors! Other than that, we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my first trip to New York, and boy has it stuck in my mind and all for the wrong reasons. I have never come across such an arrogant and rude man as Patrick the owner. The room was shabby for what we paid, then we found out that our room wasn't booked out to us even though I had corresponded with him on several occasions stating the exact dates we would be staying, he then went on to say the amount he had quoted was actually for one night and not three nights even though I had repeated the dates in EVERY SINGLE EMAIL I had sent him, I even asked for the full total of the stay as prices differed from one website to another, he quoted me the price for the three nights I had given him. He refused to look at the email correspondence between us, said point blank he wasn't interested, how rude and arrogant can you get?? He knew he was in the wrong but wasn't big enough of a man to admit it. A terrible place, terrible manager and totally ruined my first impression of New York and my birthday, thanks Patrick for nothing. I would not stay there again if it was free!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here, you'd be better off sleeping on the streets!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend, couldn't believe how cheap this place was considering how nice it is! You get a good-sized private room like a regular hotel, but for a hostel price. Our room had a window that opened out onto the fire escape, so we got a balcony. Room had dressers, a closet, decent beds, was bright and clean. Bathrooms were quite clean too and towels are provided.

There is free wifi, but only in the basement lounge. There is also a room to store your luggage, which they generously let us use even after checking out (would not store anything valuable there as all guests can access it, but it was really useful to leave our bags there).

Would definitely recommend staying here on a short trip. The neighbourhood is great, very close to Columbia, feels v. safe and there are loads of nice places to eat, etc, nearby. (If you go, be sure to visit Absolute Bagels at 108th and Broadway: super close, best bagels in NY)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'm sitting at airport now three hours before my flight just to be away from this horrible hotel. We stayed in roomed 501 and last night was a night mare. There's a guy who was in 511 right in front of the elevator that partied from ten pm to four am with women and men doing drugs drinking running up and down the halls and God knows what else. We called the front desk five times and erickas lazy self did nothing at all to assist. This is a rooming house part hotel with no award winning stickers or service. We practically begged for wash cloths but were provided with towels. Front desk is no help at all and I'm telling everyone i know to never stay here no matter the price. This place is located in Spanish Harlem not midtown as they state.

• Stayed May 2013
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear you had a bad experience but I just have to ask why you did not report this to the front desk nor why you did not request to see a manager. we do not condone drugs here at the Morningside Inn, we would have alerted the proper authorities and the guest removed.
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was here for a week, and was quie nice place. Quite cheap to new York and really clean. You have a metro station just few meters away and bar and restaurant close by.
Few meters ago is the Smoke jazz cafe, one of the best place to enjoy a great jazz concert

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Morningside Inn? Share your experiences!