“terrific temporary home for the price” 5 of 5 stars

You added 34th and Madison by BridgeStreet to your Saves list
34th and Madison by BridgeStreet
49 East 34th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
New York City, New York
“terrific temporary home for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My company put us up here for about a month. It is used for both corporate housing, as the case for us, and also as a hotel. The rooms are terrific, and we really enjoyed staying here; we wanted to move in: homey, nicely appointed, large windows, and convenient, with a good kitchen, sitting area, etc. The place is not well marked as a 'hotel', so just use the address to find it, and you see "Bridgestreet" on the street level window. It looks more like a doorman condo building from the outside. The doorpersons/people at the front desk are helpful and nice, though I don't think you could rely on them as a 'consierge' service if you are a tourist needing recommendations; that's not their function. The area is quite central and easy to get around. While it is very comfortable, note that there is no gym, no landline, no restaurant or room service. (There are restaurants in the area) They are quick to come up to help if you have an issue relating to anything in the room. Free WiFi, basic TV channels. Ask for a room on a high floor; the views are stunning, either of the Empire State Building, or the Chrysler Building and uptown (I prefer the latter). Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor; the views are stunning, either of the Empire State Building, or the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bergerac, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I spent 4 nights here & was really disappointed. The bedding not only had an assortment of black hairs on it but also smelt really bad.Not only this,but the actual duvet & pillows also smelt disgusting as I took the covers off to change them for the others left in the cupboard for the sofa bed (I had rented a one bedroom).These were equally as bad and as there was no housekeeping on the Sunday they gave me the card for the washer & dryer so I could launder them myself. However the smell was still pretty intense so I had to abandon the duvet totally & put clothes on top of the bed & slept without pillows. Imagine sheets of a grubby teenager not changed for months....that was what it smelled like. In addition there was a gap in the flooring between the bedroom and the sitting room & it was really filthy including a used cotton bud....not mine.....which was really disgusting. I spoke to the housekeeping supervisor before I left and went through my room with him & he admitted he had not checked it before I arrived. I actually think that apart from the bathroom it was barely cleaned as the rugs were also covered in bits.I booked through bookings.com who I regularly use & have never had an experience like this before. I have since returning been back to their website & found a couple of reviews that say that the duvets,covers & pillows are not laundered between guests. My room was over $400 per night so think they should do that at least. I now wish I had gone back to one of the other hotels I have stayed in in New York before,it certainly would have been less expensive but as I had lived in New York for 13 years thought I would rent an apartment for a change on this visit as it was part bussiness part visiting old friends. It was so awful that I was barely in it ......did not invite anyone to come over as the smell permiated the whole space.
ONLY plus points were the location & the very nice staff on the front desk that agreed that the bedding smelt awful. Would never ever stay in anywhere run by Bridge Street again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day visit to New York and 34th and Madison serviced apartments. I have to say that the value for money is superb. Compared to tiny New York hotel rooms you get a suite like accommodation with one bedroom & separate living room with a full kitchen. Only small minus from quite a small bathroom. The apartment is good quality and clean and the location is very central in Midtown with only a few minutes walk to Empire State building, Macy's, Time Square, Grand Central Station etc. Also many subway stations nearby. It has also 24/7 reception and all of the persons we met in the reception were very helpful. I would recommend this type of accommodation to anyone visiting the great city of New York.

Room Tip: We lived in the Studio which was the cheapest choice. It was much bigger and better than we expected...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I had a quite nice studio, very well equipped. Its location is simply perfect for visiting Manhattan and it is also very convenient if you arrive at JFK airport, as it is at less then 10 minutes walking from Penn station.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We rented a two bedroom apartment for our party of two couples and our primary disappointment was that it was not two bedrooms with on suite baths for both as we were led to believe. The master had unbelievable views of the Chrysler AND Empire State buildings!! See attached photos. The other bedroom and unattached bath were very comfortable but just not equal to the master. The kitchen was nicely equipped and living was comfortable with a nice flat screen and nice view to the south and of the Empire State. Very light and open layout. Modern fixtures, furniture and appliances, hard wood floors and tastefully decorated. The beds and linens were very comfy! The concierge staff was very friendly and accomodating but unfortunately not always competent. Their knowledge of the area was surprisingly inadequate. Of course that's why we rely on Trip Advisor exclusively for everything we do. There is a subway stop 1 block to the south and another 2 long blocks west. Macy's is two blocks west and restaurants and delis galore within 3-4 blocks. We were on the 23rd story and the elevators were efficient and readily available. Taxis are readily available on Park Ave for downtown trips and on Madison for uptown trips. We understood that a fitness center was available on site. When we inquired, we told it was currently under renovation like it was a short term recent event. When we pushed for an alternate choice, we were told that it might be possible to use a facilty across the street. After two days we were allowed access to a fitness club that we later found out they have a standing relationship with for the last two years. So if having a fitness center available is important to you, have them arrange access for you ahead of time to avoid the delay. Basically, they will eventually deliver on requests but it may take awhile. The staff answering our emails before we arrived are in the UK but are quite attentive to requests and questions. FYI they charge an international fee when you place charges on your card since they are abroad. Overall this apartment is amazing and awesome. Gives you a taste of what it's like yo live in the City!! Thanks for a wonderful experience!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay at. I rented a studio, which had a nice king bed, a couch and a full kitchen including a washer & dryer. The room was nice decorated and very comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful when I asked questions. The location is excellent, since it's centrally located, so you can walk anywhere you want to go.

Room Tip: A great room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Esbo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I could recommend this kind of living to anyone planning a visit to New York. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The apartment is clean with nice furniture. We got upgraded to a two bedroom apartment with views to both directions from the apartment. (A12).
Location is very good, you can walk anywhere (almost) from this location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to 34th and Madison by BridgeStreet? Share your experiences!