“Metro-Home Does NOT OWN their apartments” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Metro-Home Sutton Place

Metro-Home Sutton Place
You added Metro-Home Sutton Place to your Saves list
Metro-Home Sutton Place
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   310 East 55th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
New York City, New York
“Metro-Home Does NOT OWN their apartments”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

First of all, Metro-Home, like many other illegal "hotels" in New York, only lease their apartments, they do not own them. We are the subtenants. These "hotels" say on the record that they only rent for 30 days minimum, but, off the record, they also rent by the day. They claim to be apartment rental companies, but they charge hotel fees. So the price quoted is only a percentage of the actual price.

310 E. 55th Street was expensive. I did like the 1 bedroom apartment because it was huge. One doorman was nice, another one seemed to be staring me down all the time in a rather hostile manner.

Because it's an illegal hotel, I began receiving eviction notices under the door. Apparently the landlord was habitually trying to harass Metro-Home, but the landlord told me Metro-Home wasn't paying their bills. I was threatened with being thrown out, so I ended up having to go down to housing court, talk to a lawyer, and insure I would not be evicted from an apartment I had already paid for in advance.

I had spoken to Metro-Home numerous times about this, but they were nonchalant and not apologetic. By the way, I was also very unwell physically at the time. and I had told them this.

To say this was all a big hassle is putting it mildly. When you stay in these places you take huge risks, and they're much too expensive to boot.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We were taking our 3 kids to NYC for their first trip to the Big Bagel as the first leg of our US summer vacation. We had 8 nights in town and hoped an apartment rental would allow them a sense of being part-time New Yorkers while avoiding the claustrophobia of hotel rooms - and not being required to eat every single meal out. Our first choice (Axa) was not available but some googling brought us to the inbox of Metro-Home aka Elite City stays. I thought I noticed construction work on the Google photos of the property but was assured by the accomodation agency that this simply was the building's entry canopy (first lie). On reaching the apartment we were given a whirlwind introductory tour by a young lady who led us to believe she was the business owner ( a pattern emerging?). We were bushed after a delayed flight and just wanted to shower and snooze. The apartment looked "compact" but smelled fresh and, hey, it's NYC -space is at a premium. But we should have looked more closely and insisted she stayed til we did. Someone had been to IKEA or its equivalent lately as the furnishings were new if a bit on the bargain basement side. They will not stand the test of time. First surprise was that, despite the website clearly showing a sitting room with windows to the street this one had a stud wall partition with a PERSPEX window getting light from the street window of the second bedroom. The sitting room is minute - the second bedroom clearly having been carved out by partitioning off the siutting room. You cannot use the dining table without the furniture being moved. The wifi is poor quality and expensive.The main bedroom was fine. The single bathroom was tiny - and very oldfashioned. Linen and crockery were cheap as were the kitchen fittings. The 24 hr doormen varied from the wholly unhelpful and surly (including one who got offended when I asked that a dangerous mess left at the garbage chute next to the exit should get cleared) to the pleasantly incompetent. There are MAJOR building works going on here. The windows are single sash so the street noise is high and they are covered by cheap nearly translucent coverings so immediately sun is up: you are too. The area is fine and central but don't let the name fool you - this is NOT Sutton and the building had quite a few dodgy looking residents. The lobby must have been photographed the day it was painted. We finally got refunded one night's payments in compensation after too much correspondence. We would rather have had the accomodation we paid for. An apartment break in NYC is a great idea for holdaying families - just not this one.

• Liked — It was in NYC
  • Disliked — THE ACCOMODATION
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

The was the worst apartment/hotel I have ever stayed in. The first day we had a late check in, the apartment was dusty, the internet never did work and we froze to death because the heat was turned off while a window was left open unbeknownst to us. I contacted the property manager and I was treated in a very unprofessional way. If you are looking for a nice, clean, friendly place to stay while you are visiting new york this is not the place to stay. Do not stay here I repeat do not stay here!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed March 2008
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

The pros:

- Very good location
- Reasonably clean
- Very spacious one bedroom (room 3F)

The cons:

- Check-in took an hour. We arrived at 9pm. I showed my confirmation sheet and confirmation email. Didn't matter. The doorman wasn't informed by Metro-Home that we were coming, so he wouldn't give us our room. Metro-Home's phone number is just an office number that goes to voicemail after hours. We tried repeatedly to reach "Reggie" at Metro-Home. Finally someone got a hold of him, and he called back without any apologies. Even tried to say it was my fault. Nice!
- Old, rundown place
- Phone did not work
- Cable modem had no power connection. I had to take it from the phone (phone didn't work anyway), and luckily it worked.
- Heat - the radiator blasted heat, and there was no way to shut it off. It was oppressively hot, and the radiator made the air really dry to boot. Just terrible.
- The smell was awful. It's a combination of paint and mothballs/roach killer. Luckily no roaches though. The smell was still in my clothes after I arrived home. Gross.
- $295/night

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
It's a state of mind.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

First of all, it is important to understand that this is not a traditional hotel. It is not even a "homestay" hotel. Metro-Home owns a few apartments randomly scattered throughout this Midtown-East apartment building. You are getting a furnished apartment -- no maid service, no room service. It's an apartment, not a hotel room, so don't expect hotel-level service. As for the complaints about the doormen, I would say that they were indifferent, not surly. They work for the building, not Metro-Home, and they don't owe the Metro-Home guests anything. The location is pretty good. It is near the E-V subway station at 53rd/3rd and not far from the 6 subway station at 51st/Lexington. There are lots of good restaurants and amenities on Second Avenue. HOWEVER, I would not stay there again. 1) My apartment, 4G, was quite run down. There were patches on the walls and ceiling. There were cracks in the plaster. 2) The place had a permanent smell of week-old Chinese take-out. 3) The apartment had a cockroach problem. I am not kidding. Finding a roach in your shoe in the morning is not pleasant. And I saw many roaches while there. 4) Something screwy was going on. As the "resident" of apartment 4G, I was served with an eviction notice because the actual owner of the apartment was in the midst of a legal fight with Metro-Home over six months of unpaid rent. According to the notice, which I had to sign for, Metro-Home owed the owner $15,000 in back rent and legal fees. For what I was paying, I should not have had to deal with that.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — It was dirty and in poor condition.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

I arrived here after a flight from Toronto. I stayed here from Feb 12 - Feb 16 in a studio suite. I found an excellent deal online only to find out on arrival that they were doing contruction during the day. (Probably why there was such a good discount).

Like past reviews I agree that the doormen were unfriendly and staff are practically non-existant but it didn't really bother me. I think that this hotel is partly an apartment and has permanent residents.

The location was excellent. The hotel is old and slightly run down, but quaint. I really liked the mini kitchen. Try walking a few blocks south for larger grocery stores and wine & liquor stores. The subway is about 3-4 blocks away.

I would definitely stay here again if the rates don't inflate after the construction is finished.

Stayed February 2007
Concord, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2007

Excellent East Side location with good restaurants and shops nearby. The building is in repair, the 'doorman' are just watchmen, most with no uniform and hardly a greeting as they are watching TV 24/7. The studio apartment (4B) needs new venetian blinds, better insulation from noise and extremely drafty windows. Kitchen had odd numbers of knives, forks, glasses and mismatched china etc. On the positive side, the bed was very comfortable, very clean linens, ample towels and has a good sized bathroom and big closets. Pleasant furniture but lacks a second lamp - we had to use the ceiling light to read the paper on the couch! Good cable TV and (at a fee) ethernet high speed internet available.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — the minimal amenities
  • Stayed January 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Metro-Home Sutton Place? Share your experiences!