“Slightly unlucky, yet still good.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel SoHo

Save Saved
You added The GEM Hotel SoHo to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel SoHo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #269 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Moscow, Russia
“Slightly unlucky, yet still good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed here in Mid August (there were 6 of us, so we have some statistics:). Location is really great - a few subways stops nearby, whole foods etc. Also quite convenient to get to and from the airport (unless the line closes on the day you take the trip, like it happened with us:)) The rooms were really small - probably nice for a weekend getaway, but with 2 huge suitcases in the room it was a bit tricky. We were first put in an underground room ( those starting with 7.. are not penthouse views:), and it was really bad- starting from a maid, who locked the door and "was getting comfortable after her shift" (seriously, what?:)), continuing with a really small window/conditioner and a broken shower ( the water pressure constantly blew off the water tap in the shower, so we had to manually hold it when showering). The room was also awfully small, like really really small - I Actually felt claustrophobic. Thankfully, we were moved the next day onto the 1st floor where things were much better - the room was slightly bigger and there were no problems with the shower. The conditioner that was broken was replaced with a new one on the day we identified the issue. Would like to separately highlight how awesome the staff is - very welcoming and really helpful ! Our friends, who occupied a room on the 1st and 3rd floors had no other issues, it is just us who were a bit unlucky:)

Room Tip: Rooms starting with 7... are below the ground- it was more stuffy
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

I'll never stay here again and you all should be warned that they sell the rooms in the basement. Yes, the basement. These rooms are not denoted on their website so you have no way of knowing if that's what you're getting until you check in. They are exactly the same price as rooms on above ground levels, ie $200+ per night. The "window", which is at the top of the wall and is filled in with the extremely loud air conditioner, is at perfect pissing height for passersby. If you move the curtain aside you can watch it happening. The room is tiny, as in claustrophic. The bed is a double and lumpy like a camel's back. You have to be careful not to hit your head on the air conditioner when getting into the bed. Don't believe the crap on their website about bathrobes and toiletries. They are not provided. After complaining to no end to the front desk clerk that I'd booked months in advance and that putting me in the basement is outrageous he admitted that the owners and general manager Amy Herberg, won't stop selling the basement rooms as they bring in $600k per year nor will they advise guests that this is a possibility prior to booking. Due to my complaints I was moved the next day to the first floor, ie ground level, but only because someone checked out. They refused to make any other accommodation for the first night. Each time you come into the "lobby" the desk clerk is watching a very large, very loud television and is surfing the internet/playing solitare. Finally, when i checked out the front desk offered to get me a taxi to the airport "from a local service they use". I made it clear that I have to pay by credit card. When the taxi arrived the driver said they don't take credit cards. When I told the front desk she called the company who then called the driver. After 15 mins of them yelling at eachother in chinese he agreed to take Visa and called my Visa number into his boss. The front desk clerk said it would be $72 flat rate. Once I was in the taxi I enquired about the rate he said he didn't know what the company would charge! i was half way to the airport at this point. We argued for 10 minutes that he must tell me what the charge will be. Eventually he said it would be "around" $73. Finally at the airport I told him i wanted a receipt. He gave me a blank receipt. I told him i needed to know what the charge on my card would be. After yelling at eachother for 10 minutes he said he thought it would be $88 and wrote it on the receipt. When I took down his cab number and licence plate number he started to explain that they are only now in the process of taking credit cards and the process isn't yet sorted out.

I will never stay at this hotel again or any other hotel owned by this company.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Decided to book this hotel since we were told location was good and it was convenient to get around. When we got to the hotel, there was a prob with our booking so we were upgraded to a business suite (with a refrigerator & microwave) to make us more comfy. We were not so happy with the rooms though. There was also something below the headboard that smelled really bad. I think it was the wires and the rug. Overall stay was just okay, maybe not a hotel i would recommend for first timers i think. But we'd like to commend Anthony & Sam for being so nice all throughout our stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Nice hotel with small, but clean rooms. Friendly and helpfull staff, ask for Anthony or Nazib in you have any questions! Very close to the subway and all you need within a close range, a big Wholefoods in the same street:-)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Blooomfield Hills, Mi United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Great value for the location. I usually stay near Gramercy Park or Greenwich Village, but I selected this hotel for its proximity to NYU's Second Street dorm. The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I recently stayed with my twin teens. Beds were comfy. Room and bath were a bit small but nice touches such as makeup washcloth, built in soap and shampoo. Locations was great for our tour of NYU. Close to Chinatown, SOHO. The people at the front desk were awesome - helpful and friendly. And the price was right!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I checked in very late having arrived from DC and was given a small room in the basement which had only a head height window. Nothing else was available however I was moved the next day to a 4th floor room which was fine. Room was comfortable if a little small, but that's NYC for you. Good wifi. Whole Foods is across the street - 2 mins walk. Handy for Nolita/East Village and Soho. Subway close by. The only drawback was that Houston is a very busy road and therefore it can be noisy, but you expect that in a central location.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from Houston Street if possible.
Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to The GEM Hotel SoHo? Share your experiences!