Very disappointed with the GEM hotel in Soho. I stayed for two nights in October. I paid in full with cash on the day of departure and I had informed the hotel on check in that I would be doing that. The hotel had requested a credit card for security when I checked in which I provided as that is standard. When I returned home from the trip I found that the credit card hah been debited for two nights accomodation and then refunded. Unfortunately the credit card was not fully refunded (exchange rates and international charges were applied) and as a result I was refunded US$40 less than was debited. Three phone calls and several emails to the GEM hotel have not resolved this problem. The hotel says that this is my problem to sort out with the credit card company. But of course the credit card company says that it must stand. So I think that the hotel should refund me the difference. The hotel is refusing.
I would also add that the website is misleading. There are stairs from the road up to the check in desk (lift not working), it is on a busy road and the rooms look smaller than on the website.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel SoHo is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide a boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in the neighborhood of SoHo and the Lower East Side. This trendy Manhattan neighborhood is filled with chic art galleries, night club hotspots, world-famous restaurants, shopping and more. Spend an afternoon strolling the local neighborhoods and attractions such as Nolita, Chinatown, Little Italy, Canal Street and New York University (NYU). You can admire the art galleries and upscale boutiques within SoHo, or enjoy the East Village's excellent cafes and restaurants. The Lower East Side, once a first stop for poor immigrants and crammed with crowded tenements, small shops and warehouses, is now home to chic restaurants and boutiques, and some of the city's coolest night clubs, bars and music venues.The GEM Hotel SoHo offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and have flat-panel LCD televisions with HD programming, iPod docking stations, cordless telephones, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at The GEM Hotel SoHo, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The GEM Hotel SoHo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Gem Hotel-Soho, An Ascend Collection Hotel Hotel New York City
- Howard Johnson New York City
- New York City Clarion