“Wonderful GEM on the Lower East Side” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel SoHo

Save Saved
You added The GEM Hotel SoHo to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel SoHo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #270 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful GEM on the Lower East Side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wonderful staff (offering info, a map of the fabulous High Line, tips on travel time, and booking a private car to the airport upon departure). The room was well-appointed and very comfortable. The perfect spot for quick healthy food (Whole Foods is 1 block away) and a healthy body (YMCA Bowery is 2 blocks away). The room was quiet and we were able to find a great Japanese Restaurant nearby. Exceptional value for the money!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Splynch49,

I am grateful that you had a wonderful stay and that you felt "right at home." It is wonderful to hear the staff was able to help you know the area and assist you with all of your needs. We are always at your service and we welcome you back on your next visit!

F Train @ 2nd Ave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Friendly staff, very convenient check-in and check-out. VERY small room, but clean and quiet. Someone stole my mascara though...
Once we found our way around the neighbourhood, we realised we were close to many nice spots, althought East Houston is not the most charming street in town. A morning jogg over the Brooklyn Bridge seeing the sun rises above the city was a nice experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Asa_1607

I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel and you were able to explore the neighbourhood. The staff works hard to make sure you have a memorable experience and they are appreciative of your comments. We welcome you back to our hotel the next time you visit New York.

Maple Shade, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay on a recent trip to NYC. It is conveniently located to many restaurants and shopping. The room was very quiet at night .It' s close to Whole Foods for snacks too! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Mark N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review of our hotel. It was a pleasure having you stay with at our hotel. On behalf of our staff and I, we kindly welcome you back to stay with us upon your next visit to NYC.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I will post review in both the Soho and Midtown locations as it involves both properties.

I arrived at the Soho hotel on a Thursday night, after a long day of travel and business meetings. I had an early meeting just a few blocks from the hotel, so I was looking forward to checking in and getting a good night's rest. When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that they had a problem, had to shuffle some rooms around, and they no longer had a room for me. Instead, they had moved me to their Midtown location. Needless to say that with an early meeting in SOHO, a Midtown move was very inconvenient. However, there wasn't much I could do about that. When I arrived at the Midtown location, I checked in and was given keys to room 1104. Imagine my surprise when I went to the elevator and there were only 10 floors! Room 1104 was located in the BASEMENT! It was the only room in the basement and tucked in a corner past the storage rooms and maintenace equipment. It was dark and musty smelling, and to be honest, quite scarey.

Without even going into the room, I went back up to the desk and told the lady working there that I couldn't stay down in the basement. It didn't look safe, and it was absolutely unacceptable. She informed me that they didn't have any other rooms, and the Soho location did not authorize her to transfer me to another hotel. I had her call the Soho location so I could speak with the people there. Surely after displacing me so late and moving me to a completely different NYC location, they would want to help make sure I was satisfied. But that is not the response I got. The Soho location informed me that there was nothing they could do. This was the room that I was booked into, but he would be happy to cancel my reservation with no penalty. Wow - isn't that nice!?! At what was now close to 11 pm on a Thursday night, what was I going to do without a hotel reservation.

Tired and fed up, I went back downstairs to the basement room and went in this time. The room was unbelievably small, even for NY standards. It smelled absolutely horrible. There was a huge picture window looking directly out onto the employee patio. Certainly a safety issue there. I pulled down the curtain on that window, and low and behold, a moth flew out and started circling the room. I turned on the air conditioning unit, as it was incredibly humid, and it started making loud banging noises. The final straw was when I slipped off my shoes and noticed that the entire carpet was damp and soggy. I can't believe they can actually get away with using this space as a hotel room.

I went back upstairs and told the front desk employee that no matter what, I could not stay in that room. I listed all of the things that were wrong. It was at this point, that the employee agreed to transfer me across the street to the Quality Inn. The only positive thing I can say about my experience at this hotel is that the front desk lady in Midtown was very nice and sympathetic, and when she finally was able to move me to a different hotel, she walked me across the street and got me checked in. I suspect she has had to deal with dissatisfaction with that room many times before.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Iv booked this hotel last minute in a cab, without looking at reviews or pictures and was impressed. The hotel staff is great, Precious the girl at the front desk will go above and beyond to help you, she even stayed 20 minutes late just to help check me in. The rooms are clean and quiet, they are a little small but your not staying at the Ritz Carlton so they are perfect NYC size, The location is great with two great bars across the street and an awesome burger joint next door that will give you discounts if you show your hotel key card. They gave us free WiFI and Direct TV.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Jakub M,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I am pleased you had a memorable experience at our hotel! I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we kindly welcome you back to stay with us on your next visit to the city.

Warm Regards,

Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights this last weekend, and it was our 2nd visit. We love this place! The staff is always friendly and helpful. The hotel is quiet and clean. The rooms are definitely tiny, but we aren't in NYC to hang out in a hotel room! The beds are comfy and so are the pillows (I'm picky about this...). We were on the 4th floor last time and the 6th floor this time...on both visits it was quiet (or as quiet as you expect it to be in NYC). We love the location...easy to jump on the subway, walk to Little Italy or Chinatown...Chelsea isn't far. We prefer the feel in this part of town! It was raining on Sunday night and we wanted to get out, so we caught a movie at the theater two doors up the street...great little movie theater that shows Indie films. There's also some great little bars with a low-key feel in them. We will be back for a third visit!

Room Tip: On our first trip, our room overlooked the park across the street. There was some late night basket...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Jana S,

It is a pleasure to read your review. I am very pleased to hear you had a great weekend stay at our hotel. It is are biggest priority to make sure that you are well taken care of throughout your stay. You cannot find a better location in New York. There is so much to do in this great area of Manhattan. Sunshine Cinema offers a great selection of films and is a wonderful way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. Thank you for choosing us, and we kindly welome you back whenever you decide to come back to New York City.

General ManagerThe GEM Hotel SoHo
New York, NY 10002212.358.8844 p
thegemhotel.comYour corner of the world

Chicago, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here, and the staff really took care of me. If I wanted food they recommended some great places near the hotel all walking distance. We went shopping everyday and the shops in SoHo were 10 minute walk away. We met up with friends from Jersey, and the staff recommended restaurant that were an easy walk away. The staff Anthony, Kesha, and Tasha were great! I would recommend this hotel for the staff alone.

The rooms are small, but neat they could use some better art work. The lobby was small and could use some updating.

Room Tip: A room with microwave and fridge they are bigger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron K, Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Keith B,

I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to write a review of your experience. We value our location. There is so much to do in this authentic area of Manhattan. I am glad that you took advantage of getting to know the area and that our staff was able to assist you in the experience. I will share your comments with the staff as they will appreciate the gratitude you have shown them. We welcome you back upon your next visit to New York in hopes of making your experience as great as the last one.

General ManagerThe GEM Hotel SoHo
New York, NY 10002212.358.8844 p
thegemhotel.comYour corner of the world

F Train @ 2nd Ave

Been to The GEM Hotel SoHo? Share your experiences!