“Good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel SoHo

Save Saved
You added The GEM Hotel SoHo to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel SoHo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #268 of 449 hotels in New York City
Sydney
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great location in Soho and the park across the road it was great for our kids. Rooms were quite small and lower level rooms would have had considerable street noise. Room was clean and tidy though and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had read the reviews, and it is NY, so I expected the room to be small. Even with that expectation, I was a bit surprised as to how small the room was... I compare it more to a small bedroom at your parents house, rather than a hotel room. It was not too small, however, it suited my needs perfectly. I was traveling for business, and needed a room merely for laying my head for a couple of nights. The room had a comfortable queen sized bed, a small cabinet for hanging clothes, and a very skinny "table" where I could put my makeup bag and get ready. Just not much room for walking around, that's all :) The bathroom was sufficient, however the toilet seemed a bit high. I'm 5'7" and still, my feet barely touched the floor. Small inconvenience, but worth mentioning for perhaps someone shorter than I am. I noticed the lock on the sliding bathroom door was broken, and mentioned it to the desk (to be sure I wasn't charged for it), and they had already fixed it before I had a chance. I was glad they didn't just leave it when the room was cleaned, so that was a nice touch.

The location was perfect- I had meetings at Chelsea Market, and even in the cold, was able to easily walk there in the morning. The hotel is also walking distance to many good restaurants and bars. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, when traveling on business. If my husband were along, I would consider it, maybe getting one of the larger rooms (if the price was right).

Don't get dissuaded by the comments of small rooms- give it a shot and stay at the GEM Hotel in SoHo. I mean really, how big of a room do you really need in NYC :).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Aaron K, General Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Tara G,

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you soon on your return to NYC.

General ManagerThe GEM Hotel SoHo
New York, NY 10002212.358.8844 p
thegemhotel.comYour corner of the world

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed three days over New Years
Arrived at about noon, check in not till three, staff was nice and held luggage
Took a stroll around the neighborhood to check it out
A little different experience than usual as we are use to staying at a little larger and more prestigious settings
What we found was a very pleasant staff who were down to earth and ready to serve
Everyone had a smile on their face and the atmosphere was very nice
When we got into the room it was small,queen size bed and a small desk area
Free wifi and bottled water were nice features
The only downside was we kept hitting our heads on the ac unit and our legs on the side of the bed
We did have some bruises but if that is the only problem you are doing good
We love the lower east side and spend a lot of time at our friends bar Manitoba's on Avenue B
You could walk out the door and be there in 10 minutes walking
Stanton Street behind the hotel had many fine eating establishments and stores that you could get lost in for a long time
the west village was a 10 minute walk the other way
Perfect location to stay and see THE REAL NEW YORK!
If i was coming back just myself i would stay here again no doubt
We did find it just a little small for two people
I would recommend this hotel for single travelers anytime
Jimmy T

Room Tip: We were down in a basement room. You could hear outside noises, but not too bad
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JIM T,

Thank you for your feedback. Our front desk staff is here at your service to assure your experience in NYC is pleasurable, as well as memorable. I suggest reserving a larger roomtype on your next stay. We also have accommodations with two beds. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to the city.

General ManagerThe GEM Hotel SoHo
New York, NY 10002212.358.8844 p
thegemhotel.comYour corner of the world

Glendale, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 2 young children. We are from the east coast originally, but have moved to California, so I wanted to spend a few nights in the city with the family for the holidays. This place was great - easy walk to the Subway and restaurants. The staff was really helpful too. One thing that could be better is the 'front desk' service. A few times, over a few different days, I called the front desk and received no answer. I even called once from off site and did not get an answer. Other than that, everyone there was really helpful and friendly, and I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aaron K, General Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Seth L,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am pleased you had a wonderful stay. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to NYC.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I landed up at GEM SoHo after booking at what turned out to be a sketchy-looking Comfort Inn nearby, which turned out to have plumbing and electrical problems - I'm glad they sent me over! I was delighted to find GEM right next door to the famous Yonah Schimmel's knishes and on the same block with both Russ & Daughters Appetizers and Katz Delicatessen -- all three unique reminders of the Lower East Side's history as a center of immigrant Jewish life. The rest of the neighborhood is now the site of trendy to funky restaurants, bars, and boutiques, while just a few blocks away is the much pricier but endlessly fascinating SoHo shopping district. GEM also is just a short walk from little Italy, Chinatown, and the Canal Street vendors offering rock-bottom prices on all types of Chinese knock-offs. So what you get at GEM is a great value for the price: a basic clean, decent, safe room with free Wi-fi, working flatscreen TV, modern bath, and no bedbugs or other unwanted creatures as far as I could tell. For NYC and at this price point, that's about as good as it gets. Why would anyone want in-hotel breakfast when you can fall out the door, walk for less than five minutes, and get some of the best food in the entire country if not the world? I just wanted coffee and ended up at Bowery Coffee, where my latte was lovingly prepared and delicious. The desk is staffed around the clock with people who are incredibly helpful - whether mapping out a complicated subway trip for tourists, or - in my case - storing my luggage and then calling a car service that arrived in about two minutes, so much better and quicker (and no more expensive) than trying to hail a cab on the street. For people who hate the NYC subway as much as I do, it's good to know that GEM's location provides easy access to the F Train, which gives you a straight shot uptown to midtown (Broadway, Rockefeller Center, etc.) and points north -- so at least you are spared time-consuming and confusing train changes. GEM provides a great base camp for exploring the most fascinating neighborhoods of NYC - and even provides pre-recorded walking tours on Ipods, although I highly recommend taking some of the free or low-cost guided walking tours such as Big Onion. In a city that often provides unpleasant surprises, GEM was a refreshingly pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Aaron K, General Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear DCFlack,

Wonderful that you had a great experience at our hotel. We were delighted to have you stay with us during your business trip. "Base Camp" is a great way of stating our wonderful location here in the heart of Manhattan. We look forward to accommodate you on your return to the city!

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed for one night at the GEM Soho Hotel on a trip to NYC with a friend.

LOCATION

The GEM Soho is located on Houston, a stone's throw away from Prince street and its neighborhood of trendy bars, restaurants and booking. The subway station is meters from the entrance of the hotel and there is a supermarket right next to the hotel as well. An excellent location for anyone interested to stay in Soho.

AMBIENCE

The hotel is quite small and the lobby is anything but impressive. However, the gentleman at the reception was extremely nice and helpful and there is a homey feeling about the place. We felt very welcome and at home during our stay.

ROOM

We booked a twin room, which was rather large by NY standards. Bedding was really comfortable, there is large TV in the room, a safe, but no fridge. The bathroom is also quite large by the same standards. Decoration is simple, but tasteful. Like many rooms in NY, it is noisy, and you can hear the traffic hum while in the room. However, it is well isolated from the rest of the hotel, or we had no neighbors during our stay? There is free wifi in the room, which works quite well.

BREAKFAST

Not included in our room, therefore I cannot comment.

SERVICE

During our too short stay, our contact with the staff was limited to the receptionist, who was very nice and helpful. It was a pleasure to chat with him and he also had a good sense of humor. Again, it contributed to the general sense of coziness of the place.

VALUE

The price was correct in terms of situation and room size.

IN SUM

A very good choice for Soho! I will probably return on a next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: A room far from traffic would probably be nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jewels_Gva,

Our staff here takes great pride in providing our guests the upmost service. We thourghly enjoyed having you stay with us, and hope we have made your short stay as smooth and comfortable as possible while you were here. We would be honored if you would choose to stay with us on your future trip to the city.

F Train @ 2nd Ave

Been to The GEM Hotel SoHo? Share your experiences!