Stayed at The Gem this week and was very disappointed. The "Boutique" hotel is in much need of a remodel'. nNew granite in the bathrooms and a flay screen tv does not make up for nasty carpet, electrical outlets loose to the wall, the towel rack falling off the wall and bedside light that didn't work. I couldn't determine if the room smelled more like mold or urine . Took me over an hour to catch a taxi in the am..next day asked hotel to order a taxi.. Random guy arrives in his personal vehicle ans charges 3 times what I paid day before for same and tells me cash . I could go on and on but you get the gist. Tried to move hotels but city was booked! Should have bought a sleeping bag and slept in the park across the street with the homeless. On a good note , the desk staff was very friendly and polite even removed the safe surcharge they automatically add to your bill when I questioned the charge! Also, there is a great Wholr Foods Market across the street that is open late for food since I didn't see any restaurants nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel SoHo is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide a boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in the neighborhood of SoHo and the Lower East Side. This trendy Manhattan neighborhood is filled with chic art galleries, night club hotspots, world-famous restaurants, shopping and more. Spend an afternoon strolling the local neighborhoods and attractions such as Nolita, Chinatown, Little Italy, Canal Street and New York University (NYU). You can admire the art galleries and upscale boutiques within SoHo, or enjoy the East Village's excellent cafes and restaurants. The Lower East Side, once a first stop for poor immigrants and crammed with crowded tenements, small shops and warehouses, is now home to chic restaurants and boutiques, and some of the city's coolest night clubs, bars and music venues.The GEM Hotel SoHo offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and have flat-panel LCD televisions with HD programming, iPod docking stations, cordless telephones, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at The GEM Hotel SoHo, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The GEM Hotel SoHo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Gem Hotel-Soho, An Ascend Collection Hotel Hotel New York City
- Howard Johnson New York City
- New York City Clarion