“OMG!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel SoHo

Save Saved
You added The GEM Hotel SoHo to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel SoHo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #265 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“OMG!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is awesome I love the service Anthony is really a great guy you see at the front desk! It is close to everything and is wonderful for kids I love it. The best hotel ever but wonderful cleanliness and quality great hotel for couples and singles.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Bay Shore, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed with a friend for one night of "girls night out." When we arrived we were greated by Anthony, and may I say, he was helpful and extremely friendly. I was disappointed with the room. It was very small and smelled like a boys locker room...combination musty. We were on the 6th floor so I guess it doesn't matter what floor you're on, I read various reviews repeating the latter. Luckily I travel with Lysol wipes and disinfecting spray. The sheets were a bit shakey as well. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone unless they completely revamped the housekeeping practices. A real shame because it is so centrally located to great bars, eateries, and venues. I expected a lot more for $230.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

For starters, if you get a room number that starts with "7," ask for a different floor. You might think that means the seventh floor, but you would be quite wrong. It means the basement, with windows at sidewalk level and curtains that can't be opened (really can't be opened, not that you'd want to open them). Desk staff pleasant with me but bickering with each other. Oh, AND, it's not in SOHO! Unless being on the south side of Houston makes it in Soho. It's more like north edge of Little Italy or something, and convenient enough to the east village but definitely not Soho. For the price, I guess that's what you get. It's true that Whole Foods is very convenient to this place. It is clean but the rooms are small. I don't *not* recommend this place but the "7" = basement trick was a bummer and I was too hot and tired to deal with it at the time.

Room Tip: Nothing that starts with a "7"!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Aaron K, General Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Visitilhaca,

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoable stay with us. I would like you to give us another try so I can over see your reservation and ensure that you do not get a room that starts with 7. You can reach me at the number below to make a new reservation, and I will ensure that this does not happen to you again at our hotel. You can call me directly at the number below.

Hershey, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel past weekend, quite a decent stay at a relatively clean lodging option in NYC. Rooms could use some work, however, the service was superb! Greeted by the front desk attendant upon arrival and upon checkout. Young lady named Nekeesha was generous and pleasant to talk to. She even offered suggestions on some good dining places before I headed out of the city. Working in a hotel myself, I know the value of good service and this hotel definitely has great service to offer. Will stay again in the future if I'm back in the city visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a bottle of water ahead of time as they do not have any vending machines on site.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear CocoasCountryMgmnt,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time in NYC. We will be updating the rooms of The Gem Hotel Soho in the first quarter 2013. We welcome the feed back as we try to improve our hotel everyday.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and, after such fantastic service by the receptionist Anthony, decided to stay for two more. Great hotel in a fantastic location right next to Wholefoods and the nightclub the Box. Right up the street is St Marks place and a multitude of venues.
Second time staying here and will come back. Small rooms but nice beds, great TV selection, coffepot in room and very accomodating. Often fully booked but great value on last minute deals.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi CCcouple,

We are very appreciate your kind words in your response. Thank you for staying at The Gem Hotel. The Gem Hotel Soho is very pleased that you decided to stay another two nights. We are glad that we could help you with your stay.

seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights while in NYC. The first night I walked into my room and was so disappointed. The room was a basement room with a small window up top that was sidewalk level. It kind of smelled and the extra blanket looked eaten up and was very musty. I had a very hard time sleeping becase if the noise outside the window being foot level made this noise worse.
The next morning I asked to either be moved or to check out. Id much rather pay the extra $ to stay at the standard down the street than have another night like that. They said they would switch me and I left for the day. When I got back my new room was nicer and on the 2nd floor unfortunatly it smelled like smoke and I had to ask to be moved one last time. My last room was fine. The bathroom was worn and had cracks in the sink.
The location was great and the staff was so very very nice. For a room you arnt in much it's clean and will do as long as you get one if there better rooms.

• Stayed June 2012
Hello SeattleCatt,

I want to thank you for your response, and giving your feedback. The smell, noise, and blanket are a number one concern for the hotel. Our goal at the hotel is to make our guest feel like there home, and comfortable. We would like for you to stay with us the next time you are in New York City. You can call me directly and I would personally over see your reservation.

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and found it to be in an ideal location with friendly staff - and good value.

It's literally just a few minutes walk from the subway, and close to lots of bars and restaurants. NYC hotel rooms are small (or so I've been told - this was my first visit) but I think we were in one of the biggest rooms, which had two double beds. The bathroom was also a good size and the room was relatively quiet, apart from the odd siren outside.

We had some trouble with a room key - for the first two days we were there, every time we'd go back to the room after being out for a few hours, neither of our keys would work. Staff were very apologetic and happy to fix, but we were on the top floor and there's only one (slooooow) elevator. That, and the lack of hotel bar are the only minor drawbacks. If we are ever back in NYC then this would be my first choice to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The GEM Hotel SoHo, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear Kiwi Sparkles,

Thank you for the kind remarks for The Gem Hotel Soho. Thank you for making us your choice for lodging in New York City.

We are looking at upgrading are key system and sorry for the key not working throughout your stay. We have a partner ship with a local bar about a block away so that our guest do receive a 10% discount on your total bill.

F Train @ 2nd Ave

Been to The GEM Hotel SoHo? Share your experiences!