“Great wedding venue; awesome hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Out NYC

Save Saved
You added The Out NYC to your Saves list
The Out NYC
4.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   510 West 42nd Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great wedding venue; awesome hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was a guest at the OUT NYC to attend a wedding at the hotel and must say it was an incredible experience. The place looks brand new with modern decor throughout; and is impeccably clean. The rooms are well furnished and tastefully decorated, and have the most comfortable beds imaginable. There is an upscale restaurant and bar located in the hotel; both top notch. The hotel includes a modern spa and several “commons” areas both inside and outside to visit with friends and guests. It’s centrally located and is an easy walk to Hells Kitchen, Times Square, the Subway system, Harbor Tours, and Central Park, just to name a few. As to the wedding I attended; the hotel did an outstanding job hosting the event; including a spectacular atmosphere in the outdoor Bamboo Garden, savory hors d'oeuvres, and a delicious sit down dinner. Be that as it may, the BEST part about OUT NYC is the professional, friendly courteous staff who make you feel most welcome; and they go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. Thank you OUT NYC for making my stay in New York a wonderfully memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Keith F, Guest Relations Manager at The Out NYC, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Donald H,

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying wtih us at THE OUT NYC. I hope you had the most enjoyable experience attending the wedding here- and look forward to hosting you for future visits you may make to NYC.

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel has a great layout and the staff is very friendly. The only downside is there is a nightclub that is on the first floor (there are only three floors). The club is a heavy techno club that stays open until 4.00am. Believe me when I say you will hear the music and feel the base!!!! We were there on vacation, so we were staying up late - but you really can't fall sound asleep until after 4.00am. I won't be staying here again - unless the club is closed!

Room Tip: Bring sleeping pills!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

To read the full review with pictures on my blog: Visit: http://blog.nickmay.ca/the-out-nyc/
I spent three years of my life living in New York City. When I go back to the city for a visit it’s pretty easy to find cheap lodgings or couch surf with old friends but my partner and I wanted to spoil ourselves on our most recent vacation. When we heard rumblings of a new gay (straight friendly) hotel in Hells Kitchen, we knew that we had to explore this option.

We arrived at THE OUT NYC on Thursday afternoon. Checkin isn’t until 4pm but they took our bags while we explored the neighbourhood. When we arrived back for checkin we were greeted with glasses of Prosecco by the hotels’ concierge Bo Bradley. Bo was wonderfully accommodating and an absolute pleasure, he was welcoming and willing to do anything possible to make our stay more enjoyable.
Another staff member took us on a tour of the hotel before bringing us to our room. We were stunned at how beautiful the hotel was. They market themselves as an “Urban Resort” and it couldn’t be more true. You are on 42nd street just a few blocks from Times Square yet you feel like you’re in a quiet and comfortable resort. The hotel has three open outdoor spaces: The Great Lawn which has bean bag chairs and tables, The Sun Deck which is perfect for sunning yourself, and the Bamboo Garden which has long tables and is perfect for holding events. The hotel’s amenities also include Jacuzzi’s, a 24 hour gym, a Sauna and a Steam Room. WiFi is free and there are complimentary computers with a printer in the lobby.

When we finally got to our room we were even more impressed. The space was a very decent size in comparison to any other hotel in New York City, especially in the Times Square/Hell’s Kitchen area. The bed was very comfortable and I easily could have stayed in the room all night with the fully stocked minibar.

I’d like to point out that every staff member at THE OUT was wonderful. I truly felt like a valued guest and not just a customer. When I asked a question at the front desk they were always willing to go above and beyond to satisfy me. For instance I approached the front desk and asked if I could book massages for myself and my partner. I believe the person working at the time was named Bronson. He told me that the masseuse was all booked for the day. Upon seeing my disappointment he personally walked me to the spa area and requested that the masseuse stay later that day to fit us in. The Massage Therapist was happy to accomodate us.
On that note, the hotel’s Lead Massage Therapist is named Savas. Neither myself or my partner had ever had a professional massage before and we were a bit nervous. Savas was an absoute dream, keeping us at ease the entire time he completely relaxed all of the muscles in my body. He uses a variety of techniques including hot and cold towels, stretching and aromatic oils. Savas made our stay at the OUT NYC even more pleasurable than it already was.
The hotel carries its own line of beauty products. The room comes fully stocked with Body Wash, Shampoo, Face Wash, and Lotion. The Rosemary Cedarwood Peppermint lotion was definitely my favourite. If you choose to take any of the products home (because they’re amazing products) they can be charged to your room based on the rate card provided. We would have taken some but unfortunately woke up late for checkout and forgot

The hotel’s restaurant is called KTCHN and was designed by Hell’s Kitchen’s EATERY. They offer upscale American Comfort food which can be enjoyed in the restaurant itself, as a room service order, or you can use any of the phones located in the hotel and have the food delivered to one of their outdoor areas. We personally enjoyed “Sexy Fries” and the “Crispy Quinoa Cubes” while laying out on the Great Lawn. The cocktails at KTCHN are also phenomenal.

XL Nightclub is a 14,000 square foot club located in the hotel. In the afternoon part of this space is used as a hotel “lobby bar” offering Happy Hour drinks. At night the space is opened up and you can see how big it really is. Although this was a great feature of the hotel it was admittedly also the most disappointing. We found that the bouncers and staff incredibly rude until they found out that we were staying at the hotel. The drinks also seemed to be rather expensive in comparison to other clubs in the same neighbourhood. I digress, we still had a good time despite those two things. The music pumping and the dance floor is huge. This is a great place to dance the night away.

With a name like THE OUT NYC, we were expecting this hotel to be very campy. It wasn’t. The OUT was an upscale boutique hotel that was the perfect urban resort in a big city. Other boutique hotels like The Thompson Toronto could learn a few things from the hospitality offered at this hotel.

Room Tip: Let the concierge know that you'd like a quiet room and they'll probably help you out.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there Nick M,

I hope you are well! We want to take this time to say thank you for sharing your experience at THE OUT NYC here online with our friends at TripAdvisor.

It gives us great pleasure to hear how well accommodated you and your partner were during your stay. Bo is a star at the concierge desk, and Bronson is most notably recognized for his attention to guests' needs, so it comes at no surprise to hear them shine in your review.

We are so glad you also had the opportunity to experience The Spa at THE OUT NYC. Savas is one of the city's best massage therapist who consistently receives resounding reviews from our guests.

We apologize for your experience with XL and can assure you will not experience the same service during future stays with us at THE OUT NYC!

All the best, and we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to NYC!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Out was a really pleasant stay for me. I ended up having to stay in New York an extra night and easily found a bed at The Out for a very affordable price. I stayed in one of the shared rooms which was still very nice. Each bed has their own curtains so if you need privacy it's easily achievable. All the other amenities that come with your stay such as the spa and the courtyards were more than wonderful/relaxing. I didn't get a chance to see what the private rooms were like but next time if I have a bit more cash it would be treat to stay in one. Staff was also very accomodating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hi there 154913Ejjl ,

We are so glad that we were able to accommodate you during your stay in NYC. Our Sleep Share rooms are an excellent option for the last minute traveler, or for those looking for a place to just lay there head while exploring the city!

Additionally, it is our pleasure to supply all our guests, both those of our Superior, Deluxe, etc.rooms, as well as those within the Sleep Shares the very best in complimentary amenities such as saunas, steam rooms, and gym facility.

We hope we can host you again for your future visits to NYC!

Charlestown UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Do yourself a favour and stay here - the staff are extremely welcoming and helpful, facilities great, room was wonderful with the best pillows, food excellent, and I could not have asked for better service. I was delighted with my stay from beginning to end

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hello Roger K,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience while staying at THE OUT NYC with our friends here at TripAdvisor.

It gives us great pleasure to know that we are able to deliver the very best in customer service to our guests- and exceed any and all expectations.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you during future visits to NYC!

Best,

perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

From my initial email enquiry re: a reservation, until the moment I checked out..... There was not one moment that 'The Out' NYC - did not deliver anything less than 100% service, comfort and absoulute satisfaction in every way!!! I've travelled the world, I work for an airline and I do not make this statement lightly......

• Stayed August 2012
Hi there daneka70,

First and foremost thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at THE OUT NYC here on TripAdvisor.

It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and deliver the very best in customer service. Coming from an individual who works within the airline industry, your compliments come very well received!

We look forward to hosting you during future visits to NYC!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here in Mid-June we booked our room online through the hotel’s own website a couple months prior and used the best rate guarantee. When we arrive at the hotel we were surprised to find that the rate for the room we were in was $100 a night cheaper. I inquired at the front desk about the “best rate guarantee” and they did not know what that meant and suggested I speak with the manager (Michael) in the morning. The next morning I spoke to the manager told him about the situation and asked what the “best rate guarantee” meant. I got a little bit of a run around and was told he would speak to his finance person and have the rate adjusted. When we checked out we received a $50 per night discount, which meant we were still paying $50 more than what they were charging. I asked about this and was informed the manager was not available and I would have to call back at a latter time. I never followed up again.

The hotel –

Is nice and the rooms are designed around three inner courtyards, the great lawn, the bamboo garden, and the spa area. We used each of these spaces for breakfast each morning, which was very nice, but in the dog days of summer or middle of winter I suspect, these spaces will be unusable…

Room –

We started in a room with a queen size bed and private bath on the 2nd floor overlooking the great lawn space. I would consider the rooms to be on the small side, more European in style. The bathroom is located in the back of the room and contains a shower stall, sink, and toiled. The closet area is also located in the bathroom, which can make it a little difficult if two people are getting ready at the same time or if one is using the facilities and the other wants to decide what to wear. At the front of the room is a very small sitting table if you needed to do some work. The bed is located in the middle of the room with two light tables as night stands, which provides no additional space and are a waist of space, sorry I like a night stand that has a draw where I can put personal items. On the bed, was what I originally though was mints, but after closer inspection found to be earplugs… UGH! It can’t be a good sign when they supply earplugs! After unpacking we realized there was no toilet paper, toiletry items, only one bathrobe and other missing items. We informed the front desk when we left for dinner and all was put right when we returned. The hotel is loud at night, and I wish I could wear earplugs, but they bother my ears in the middle of the night and I get even less sleep. The biggest noises came from folks in the hall and the closing (slamming) of room doors. (I used sleeping pills for the rest of our stay). Just a side note, we did not notice any street noise as the room we were in was an inner courtyard. Also, we live in Chicago on a very busy street so are use to city street noise.

During our stay we requested to be moved to a room with two double beds. Our request was easily accommodated. The rooms are all basically the same so there is no need to go into detail. The reason for the move, we were looking for a little more space and the online room rate was the same, which was still less than what we ended up paying...

Breakfast –

A continental breakfast was included in the room rate; don’t know if this will be the case after the hotel’s restaurant (kitchen) opens. As far as continental breakfasts go, this was one of the least impressive; it was never consistent over the 5-days we were there and two of the days we had to go find someone for cream, lids and other items… As limited as the breakfast was we made due and brought a cup of coffee and yogurt out to the open-air courtyard each morning. The perfect weather and peaceful setting more than made up for the inadequacies of the breakfast, and I honestly don’t understand why other people did not do the same.

The hotel is billed as a straight friendly hotel; this must be working because there were more straight folks in the hotel than gay. We were there for Broadway Bares, which the hotel staff knew nothing about, also we asked a few other gay related questions, like when was Pride and about Folsom East and we seemed to stump everyone we asked… I think if you are going to bill yourself as a gay / straight friends hotel the staff should at least know what’s going on especially the bigger gay events like Pride…

We did check out the nightclub that is attached to the hotel, the front desk mentioned a happy hour with discounted cocktails, but we were always charged full price. There also seems to be no special privileges if you are staying in the hotel…

As originally noted the hotel had some things to learn and growing pains to go through while we were there in June, we might give it a second try…

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Out NYC? Share your experiences!