“Had to stop in” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
USA
“Had to stop in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were headed to another place when we happened upon a huge window with steaming pots and bustle of cooks behind the glass. Boiling dumplings and noodles right in front of your eyes. How do you resist?

Place was cramped. In fact, we were seated to share a table with another party. Not so strange in Chinatown.

Because we wanted to restaurant hop, we orders two small dishes for the three of us - a shrimp dumpling noodle soup and a plate of steamed dumplings. Both exceptional. The egg noodles were very flavorful as were the dumplings. Waiter did give us a nasty look at such a small order, but we have grown to get over this type of scrutiny.

The food was obviously laced with MSG - something not unexpected here - but it was not overpowering. The flavor of shrimp and noodles was wonderful.

Beware. When we got the check, we noticed the sum was more than we thought. They apparently add the tip to the bill. I almost paid double tip - good thing my wife noticed.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Jersey City, New Jersey
“One of the bests!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is one of my favorites in Chinatown, located in Mott Street.
I love that their menu now comes with some pictures.
Among my favorites (although it is not essentially the best in c-town) is the wonton noodle soup, with other toppings that I just vary, depending on my mood. I like the wontons mixed with the noodles. It is fresh and flavorful. The soup, as well, tastes great especially in cold November days.
I also love their congee.
Along with the noodles, I almost always make sure I take home with me.
The space looks better now than the way it did back then; it is, still, cramped esp on busy hours. However the staff is a bit better now, too. I remember back then when they had grumpy older man in the waitstaff.
The price is fairly ok for most foods, except for the dumplings/dimsum, where they got a little too pricey; its like paying almost twice the price for dimsum here than if you walk couple more blocks to nearby Chatham dimsum.
Overall, recommended if youre in for some deviation from your usual NYC pig outs. Its a plus that they now take credit, too.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Ticked the box for a visit to Chinatown, but we weren't blown away.
It was quite cheap though & the restaurant hygiene rating is "A", but not many options for a vegetarian.
At least the staff weren't rude to us as many of the reviews here suggest, but it wasn't busy when we went so I guess that helped.

London, United Kingdom
“Meh!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The restaurant was busy and was serving mainly oriental clientele so we thought the food would be good and authentic but It was bland and boring and because the waiter did not speak English we could not ask for guidance.The seating was hard and uncomfortable but the prices were reasonable.

Visited August 2013
Greenwich, Connecticut
“noodle intensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Not much in the way of ambiance, and the help doesn't speak a lot of English, but I definitely will be back when I crave noodle dishes. We went on a Sunday night and there was about a 30 min wait, and we were seated at an unusual table that sat only three, and faced out at everyone else, but we wanted to get down with some noodles and didn't care about much else. That's the only way to look at this place. I like that you can see all the food being prepared while you're waiting, and the cooking area is clean. You can watch and see what looks good. They seemed to be making a ton of delicious looking dumplings or wontons, but I had trouble trying to get past the menu to what I really wanted. I did have some pork and shrimp dumplings (because they were actually pictured in the menu) that were out of this world! My son did enjoy his "plain noodles in broth" perfect for kids. My entrée was a beautiful looking plate of noodles topped with some roast duck and some Chinese broccoli on the side. Everything was great but the duck. My piece was almost all bone and fat, and a bit too salty for me. I want to go back and work those delicious wontons more that I see from the window!

• Visited September 2013