“Quick service, lovely dumplings, big portions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 456 Shanghai Cuisine

456 Shanghai Cuisine
69 Mott Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Chinatown)
(212) 964-0003
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,128 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Vegetarian, Shanghai
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Quick service, lovely dumplings, big portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We knew we wanted Chinese in china town but we got caught out last time and order badly. Honestly we choose the place because it was packed, not always a good thing but today it was! We ordered some dumplings because lots of people were enjoying them and there were loads on the menu. We listened to the waiter explain the correct way to eat them and followed suit! They were very good. In any china town you get huge chinese portions, at home we would have 4 or 5 dishes to share but knew that would be enough for about 6 people! So we ordered a mixed fish special rice and a portion of spiced pork and tofu and it was really delicious! i would've loved a chilli beef too but there juts wasn't room!
Indulge in the Chinese beer Tinsing... not sure how to spell it, it goes perfectly with your dinner.
I'd definitely visit again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Roma
“Well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Quick service and good food. The always ready and personel very kind. We tried many restaurants in NY but this is super. Cheap and efficient. Well done. Will be back for sure. Few days ago I saw there Bruce Willis having dinner.

Visited November 2013
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“456 is a lucky number”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Apparently authentic Shangaiese. But in any event great Chinese in chinatown. Get three cold dim sum-like appetizers for $11. Great deal. Shanghai Kuo Fu is tempeh (ask your vegetarian friends) plus a mix of mushrooms - great. The Salt and Pepper shrimp is great. Gigantic, no heads, shell split. I love the usual version of this dish with heads and shells, but this is truly a gourmet version. Share a table, make new friends.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Cheap and quick”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We chose this restaurant in Chinatown on a whim as we were passing. From the outset it became clear that the restaurant expected their customers to get in, get fed and get out as fast as possible. Little or no help was either offered or provided by the rather surly staff, and despite being offered a free pot of green tea upon arrival, felt pressured to order as quickly as possible. The chicken dish which my wife ordered seemed mostly sweet batter, whereas I faired better with my chicken and cashew nuts although that was a little heavy on the mono sodium glutamate and salt for my taste. The bill was slapped in front of us the moment that we stopped eating, and when I presented 15 dollars for a 13.00 dollar bill, although we were intending to leave the remainder as a tip, no attempt was made to give any change. While waiting for my wife to return from the WC I was asked to leave the table so that they could put somebody else there, so I waited by the door. In short, two people ate average food at Olympic speed for fifteen dollars. Not our best ever dining experience, not to mention the human hair in my bowl of rice.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dartmouth, Canada
“After reading about this restaurant - decided to check it out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

and was not disappointed! The soup dumplings are legendary and the waiter nicely showed me how I was supposed to eat them (good thing too!). Pierce them slightly to let out the broth, add some of the accompanying sauce - delicious! The other dishes we ordered were also fab. Must say this is an affordable restaurant - shocked when our bill only came to about 30 bucks for the 3 of us!

• Visited August 2013