“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, Washington
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here April 10-14. We went to NY for the Eric Clapton crossroads festival. The Heart of Harlem is very close to the subway. We landed in Laguardia and bought a metro card (29.00) and then hopped on the m-60 bus which dropped us off only a few minutes walk to the Heart of Harlem. Tressi greeted us at 1:00 IN THE MORNING WITH A HUGE SMILE. I felt so bad. We felt at home, breakast each day ready for you, fresh oj,yogurt, bagels, pancakes,sausage and more. I cannot tell you how much this meant to us. We just got home and we are ready to go back. Next time we will take our children. I felt safe the entire time we were in NY. There are police EVERYWHERE. Haha, We would know we asked them for directions ALL the time. This bed and breakfast is beautiful, the hosts are gracious. We could not have wished for more. Amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

When we arrived at the Heart of Harlem we were met by Tressi who was extremely friendly and very helpful. She talked to us for about 15 minutes about local places to eat and how to get in and out of the building. There was also an information booklet in our room. The room was toasty warm and was on the top floor at the front of the building. Our room was quiet and was very tidy and nicely decorated. It felt like a home away from home. The only two drawbacks that I can think of was that the shower had curtains all around it which could get stuck to your skin and we weren’t used to a handheld showerhead and secondly we found it hard to get in contact with them to say we were coming in a couple of hours time. But these things were very minor!

Breakfast was delicious each morning served on the main floor where you could mingle with other guests. It was a hot bun with ham or turkey, cheese and egg, bagels with cream cheese and then either pastries or muffins. Great way to start the day. The location was good and the room was great for what you paid. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienne, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We have been in a room with 4 beds very clean and authentic "End of 19th century" house.
The metro is only 4 blocks away and the situation is ideal with almost no noise coming from the street
Dwight and Tressi are in fact the real (sweet)heart of Harlem and they have had all kind of small and big anttentions to us that: My children loved the pancakes or fresh bagels for breakfast.
I arrived with my 3 children just before Sandy Hurricane... our plane back home has been delayed by several day and they have hosted us until we could get a new plane!
If you look for a 5 star B&B, fully equipped with TV in all rooms but with no charm, this is not the place to stay. However, if you are interested in authentic relation with people (if you want), authentic atmosphere, yes, this is the place!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I went to NYC for the Marathon, the race was canceled, but we discover and amazing place to spent our days in NYC, The Heart of Harlem! Warm and cool place in a fantastic area like Harlem, close to Central Park North and 5 min from the subway. But the most incredible was the incredible ever smiling and charming owner, Tressi. We can not forget your sandwich for breakfast and mainly you allow to share an incredible Gospel experience with yours.
See you soon.
Thanks so much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I cannot say enough about how much my children and I enjoyed our two night stay here. Traveling alone with two children (12 and 9) I was nervous enough about our trip but add the fact that the night before our arrival, our original choice of B&B called to inform me they were full and moving us to the Heart of Harlem and I was a wreck. After 2 minutes on the phone with Tressi (the owner) relieved any reservations I had. She is truly an angel and made us feel safe, welcome, and completely at home.

As others have mentioned, the home and its rooms are spacious, clean, and very confortable. The kids even had their own bunk bed! The street is very quiet and peaceful considering the location and it is very close to stores, restarants, and the subway. Tressi has great options for breakfast and has it ready nice and early for people who need it. Her homemade breakfast sandwiches are fantastic. My kids are still talking about them!

I would recommend Tressi's home to anyone coming to stay in New York. It was great to be out of Manhatten yet still have all the easy access to get there if need be. The culture and history of Harlem is something that everyone would benefit from a dose of and this is the perfect place to enjoy it.

Thank you Tressi for a magical stay!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Heart of Harlem B&B for five nights at the end of October 2012, and in many ways we can echo the positive sentiments expressed in the other reviews. The room we stayed in was a large bedroom with an en suite bathroom situated on the ground floor of the house. The room was very comfortable - with ample lighting, full length mirrors, generous storage space, and a great bed.

The surrounding area is pleasant and the tree-lined street is very pretty, and very close to the subway.

Our only issue was the noise level from 6am/6.30am on-wards. Our bedroom was separated from the common room with partition doors, where the pool table/breakfast ingredients are located and it really felt like the other guests were in our bedroom with us - we could clearly hear their conversations. To be honest It felt a little intrusive and disrupted our sleep. If you are an early riser this may not pose too much of a problem, however unfortunately it was a big issue for us.

This place has so much going for it - the price is reasonable for NYC, the hosts were lovely, and it's the largest room we have ever stayed in - which was fabulous - but we just did not feel completely comfortable with how our bedroom and the common room is currently set-up.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on the upper floor may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

NYC has so many places to stay, the choices can be overwhelming. When my partner and I go to NY, we look forward to staying at this wonderful B&B as much as seeing this great city. The Heart Of Harlem is a pre-turn of the century brownstone that was built with all the workmanship and grander of the Edwardian era. Think of hand carved hard wood stairwells and fireplace surrounds, and walls decorated with plaster reliefs throughout. The building is truly a beautiful old Lady, and with any old lady, there are some wrinkles that in my opinion add to the beauty of her age. If you expect everything to work flawlessly, like the 14 foot tall pocket doors, then this may not be your place but I believe that this just adds to her beautiful character. So if you want to feel that you are staying in a truly old and beautiful brownstone, this is the one! The location is great, it is near the subway and on a quiet street without the noise of downtown. The beds are wonderful and the rooms are decorated with turn of the century antiques that add to the beauty of the home. It is a very welcoming place to stay.
The first time we arrived in NYC, we didn’t know anyone. By the time we left, we had 2 wonderful friends, the caretakers and owners of this wonderful home. ressi and Dwight know the city and will recommend different places for you to see and things to do. They will help you navigate how the subway works and the bus system. They are truly wonderful people and it is always a pleasure staying with them.
We have stayed here twice already and have another planed stay in November with several of our friends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, some have a full bathroom and some share a shower. This has never been a pr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Heart of Harlem? Share your experiences!