“A very nice property...but a much better staff!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Times Square

and 1 more site!
You added W New York - Times Square to your Saves list
W New York - Times Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1567 Broadway at 47th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #185 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“A very nice property...but a much better staff!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Recently stayed a few days at the "W" Times Square and while it did have a few hiccups, the staff and especially the management saved the day! I have stayed at this property on probably 10 to 12 occasions and I am a Starwood Platinum for Life Member, so I am usually treated to a better room than usual. This trip however, I was given a room that was originally intended to be part of a larger suite. The tiny size was difficult, the a/c didn't work properly and there were only three electrical outlets in the whole room, and none next to the bed. When I asked about why and what to do, engineering sent me an giant, industrial sized extension cord and multi outlet to drag across the room. I wasn't very happy!
Then, to my pleasure, I was contacted by a member of the excellent management staff, Leo Rossini came to save my day...and my trip. My room situation was rectified and he made my whole stay a success. This Gentleman is why this Brand, "W" and Starwood is extraordinarily successful, Leo was and is a SUPERSTAR and I will be back again in the future at the "W" New York Times Square!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade...who knows!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I would first like to personally apologize for your less than perfect experience with us. I am very pleased that Leo was able to turn your experience around! We truly appreciate your feedback and value you as our Platinum guest. I will share your comments regarding your experience and Leo with our team as an example of exemplary service. We will look forward to your return and as always, please feel free to reach out to us directly should you need anything at all!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Went back here after 4 years, and perhaps my expectations and wishes have changed, but this hotel, although the rooms were refurbished, is no longer an option. The noise, no noise reduction windows I guess, is enormous, room size unbelievably small for the price. There are a lot better option in NY, more luxury, larger rooms, better quality rooms, and lower in price. Even with the corporate rate it was ridiculous per square foot.

The hotel identity is still the same, restaurants the same, lounge reception the same, type of people the same. Not worth a visit for me anymore. This was definitely my last stay here.

Room Tip: Try a room not facing Time Square, as high as possible and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your honest feedback. I apologize that we have failed to meet your expectations and were not able to provide you with a restful experience. There is never an excuse for guest dissatisfaction, and this is certainly not indicative of the service philosophy we champion at the W. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us as we are always looking to improve our guests' experience. Please feel free to reach out to us directly should you change your mind and decide to give us another opportunity so that we can make sure it is a flawless experience.
Yelm, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

OK, firstly, the hotel is noisy, but given the locale, it's not fair to complain. I suggest purchasing a really good pair of earplugs to block out the sounds of delivery truck's back-up alarms and police/rescue sirens all night long.
The beds are very comfortable and the added touches of extra pillows, down comforters, and feather beds are very nice. The staff is polite and accommodating.
Now for the "form over function" comment. The room looks as if it was designed by a newly graduated architect wanting to impress patrons with beautiful colors and sleek design features. It is sleek, but if you're staying for more than a day or two, plan on living out of your suitcase. There is one drawer in the living space. The rest of them are imaginary. The bathroom has a sliding glass door with a 10-15 pound pull. Instead of an opaque wall (sheet rock) between the sleeping area and the bathroom, there's a glass wall in which you can see shadows of the person in the bathroom. That's OK if you're there with a husband or wife, but not so good if you're there with Aunt Mildred or Uncle Wilber. Speaking of which, the vent in the bathroom is what they call passive. It's what I call, "Boy they saw you coming when they sold you that one." The bathroom will fill up with steam from your shower and if you want to use the mirror, you'll have to wipe it down. No, not a big deal. The biggest problem with no vent fan is that along with being able to see shadows of whomever is using the facilities, there is no way to not hear everything that is happening in that space. I'll leave it to your imagination. I don't care who you're traveling with, this is not optimal. Yes, the gray colors and the chrome and the glass and the roller-shade blinds at the windows are cool to look at, but most people staying in a hotel want the amenities of home like drawers, closet space, and privacy in the toilet. Still, a nice place to stay, but the next time they remodel, they should go for the function and forget the foo-foo.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hi there and thank you for taking the time to share this honest and balanced feedback with us. I apologize that our design did not meet your standards. Being the W brand, we reflect our fun and flirty style though the design of our guest rooms. We have reviewed your feedback as we appreciate your candor and are always looking to improve your future experience. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with our talent. I also apologize for the noise that you experienced. There is never an excuse for guest inconvenience or dissatisfaction, and I assure you this is not indicative of the service philosophy we champion at The W - Times Square. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, so that we can deliver the level of service and comfort that you expect and deserve. Thank you again for your comments.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel is really right in the middle of Times Square. Good for walking to many sites and within a couple of blocks of 3 subway lines. Pretty easy to go anywhere. That being said, it's pretty crazy in Times Square! It's always noisy and later in the day and evening there are people traffic jams! Overnight you continue to hear honking and sirens. Most nights it was ok, however the last night the overnight construction was a bit much! The room was small but nice and functional. Very modern. We were in a corner room on the 34 th floor and had a view of Times Square.

The hotel lobby is not particularly grand, on the 7th floor. It's quite dark and not particularly welcoming. But then again we did not spend a lot of time there.

We let the hotel know we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Everyone we met wished us a happy anniversary, we got an upgrade and they sent a bottle of wine to our room. Very nice touch!

We had dinner at the hotel restaurant - blue fin. It's reasonable and was quite good. For breakfast we went to the deli next door at the Edison hotel. It felt like a typical New York deli! Decent breakfast and reasonable price - especially for Times Square!

Next time I would go elsewhere just to visit different things and have more quiet, but definitely recommend the W if you want to be in the thick of things!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and may be more quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WGuestServicesTeam, Front Office Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We are happy that you decided to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary with us. It's great you felt the excitement of being in the heart of NYC, surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Times Square which can definitely be crazy! We look forward to welcoming you back to the W New York - Times Square in the future. Hopefully for your 11th wedding anniversary!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed in a fantastic suite for a couple of nights. Overall would go back, especially if booking this room class.

Pros
-Room was very large (for NY) & nicely done. There was a very convenient powder room off the living area. (Helped when I had some friends over)
-Great views (again, from this room class) of times square. I did not have a problem drawing the shades to block out one of the huge scrolling marquees, which was right across from my window. The view wasn't from that high up, but even still was nice of times square.
-Given the location, I thought the room was very quiet. Overall sleep quality was good.
-Nice bed that was very comfortable. Other items (linens in bathroom) were also of high quality.
-Service was very good. I had the hotel bring up some snacks and drinks for when friends visited, and this was very nicely laid out / put together.
-Easy to get cabs

Neutral, but noteworthy
-The check-in / welcome / living room area is on floor 2 or 3. This means you have to take an elevator up from the street, then you will have a separate set of elevators up to the rooms. Some people may find this annoying; I thought the effect was a more quiet & calm check-in space

Cons
-Hotel can be a little dark; a lot of the hallways/etc don't seem to have any access to natural light, and even in my room not much natural light made its way in

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello and thank you for your honest and balanced feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us as we are always looking to improve your experience for future. We have since gladly shared your review with our team and we are delighted you had a great stay overall. Anything you need in future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us as we are here for you 24/7 to assist. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the heart of the Big Apple!
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I rated four stars due to the first day I was highly upset with this hotels service for what I paid for two nights. From being there until 3:30 for our room to be ready when check-in is at 3:00, and being checked into a dirty room, and the bag holders acting childish in the lobby all over each other hugging and laughing and talking amongst themselves while I'm already frustrated just trying to get our bags and go to our room, I thought I would never return! The manager Eric, and the manager at the front desk accommodated to us as best as they could after the dirty room incident. I appreciated their service, and our hotel room once we finally got into it, and I will return eventually, but I can not guarantee that I will not look into other hotels in the area first.

Stayed July 2014
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hello Heather,
Thank you for reaching out to us and our sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced upon check in. We have gladly shared your feedback with our entire team as your honest and balanced feedback is truly appreciated as we are always looking to improve your experience with us. We also have since reviewed our procedure for future as your comfort is of course our top priority. We truly value your candor and our team is always looking to enhance your experience with us. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back for a true W experience.
Yelm, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Close to the Broadway Shows, many only a couple of blocks away. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms on the lower floors (11th) are very noisy at night, be sure to take ear plugs. A couple of words of caution, the blackout shade doesn't do a good job of keeping out light at night and there is only one drawer to put your clothes in. That being said, the beds are wonderful with down duvets and lots of nice pillows. It's expensive, but what in NYC isn't.

Room Tip: Higher floors should have less street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Virginia - thank you for your honest and balanced feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and have since gladly shared your amazing comments with our entire team as they truly inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay. Being in the heart of the city that never sleeps, we do also have "Call it a night" kits with eye masks and ear plugs available for your convenience in every guest room as well as via our Whatever Whenever team and anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to dial 0 and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple!

Been to W New York - Times Square? Share your experiences!