“Right In The Heart Of It” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Times Square

Save Saved
You added W New York - Times Square to your Saves list
W New York - Times Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1567 Broadway at 47th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #165 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Right In The Heart Of It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Check in at the W is on the 7 floor and the Living Room and bar are also on that level. As soon as the lift doors opened, the music and the party atmosphere is infectious. The staff very welcoming. Initial observations were that everything was happening in the near darkness. A trait we would find out later is pretty prevalent in NYC. We were shown to our Spectacular Room on 32nd floor with the view over Times Square and the Hudson River in the distance where the sun was setting. Spectacular indeed.

The room itself was adequate, but also pretty dark. Even though I had picked up new prescription glasses before I left the UK it was pretty difficult to see in the gloaming! The W boast that you can retreat to rooms that quiet the city’s roar to a purr. The open showers, breathtaking skyline view, W signature bed with 350-thread count sheets, and lush robes in our 509 guest rooms and 43 suites make staying in a statement, not a question. They were not wrong. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the sheets uber soft. I slept like a baby the whole time I was there.

There are no coffee or tea making facilities in the rooms at the W, although you can request a coffee or tea maker. Or pack a travel kettle and take your own supply of caffeine. Otherwise head out early to get your caffeine fix. There are hundreds if places to chose from and there is a Starbucks on every corner, including one opposite the entrance to the W.

We paid for room only and had breakfast at the W in our second day at the Blue Fin restaurant where eggs and bacon alone will set you back $17 but served with a great deal more aplomb than the self service 'All You Can Eat Hard Rock Cafe' for the same price, for example.

We cheekily mentioned to the W that we wanted a room with a better view, we were hoping to see more of the Hudson River, but hadn't quite got our bearings! So when we got back on day two, we found that they had hoisted us up from the 32nd floor to the 44th and the difference, breathtaking and being 12 floors further up makes your ears pop going up and down in the lift.

We had absolutely no complaints about the W and would go back there for sure. It is right in the heart of everything, so you really cannot go wrong.

Room Tip: Go for a Spectacular room. The higher up, the better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello Sally! Thank you for your amazing review of your recent stay with us! It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we are delighted we were able to make your experience with us a true W experience. Your comfort is always our number one priority and it is wonderful to hear we were able to be an oasis for you amidst the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple. It is also a pleasure to hear we were able to better accommodate you as needed to ensure you had a wonderful experience and anything you need in future, our team is aways happy to assist - 24/7! Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing stay in the city that never sleeps!

2,484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Just stayed here with my wife for our anniversary. We've stayed at several W properties. There are always differences between them. First time here at this location however and was SUPER impressed with the service...the staff and concierge went above and Beyond the call of duty. Kristen , Sussane, and Leo made our trip SO memorable and enjoyable..
The hotel is in a great location close to everything.

The bar / lounge area inside feels like its missing something tho. But pther than that we loved it!

Bar area was nic

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Philip! Thank you for your honest and balanced feedback and our team is truly delighted you and your wife had a great visit overall with us - especiall given the special occasion! We are always happy to be a part of special celebrations and we have gladly thanked Leo and Kristin and of course our Concierge team for their great interactions with you. We truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us as we are always looking to improve your experience for future and we look forward to welcoming you back and creating many more special memories. Anything you need, do not hesitate to reach out as we are here for you 24/7!
Newark, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have stayed in many W hotels in major cities and by far this was the worst. We were "upgraded" to a corner room. Exciting since this is NYC Time Square! However our corner view was just below the scaffolding and bright lights from the large electronic billboard. The lights at night lit up the room. The room was dirty and there was no place to sit other than on the bed.
W hotels are generally pretty nice, however this one was not worth the $500+ per night If you do stay - I would avoid room 3812!
The contenintal breakfast of 2 orange juices, 3 pastries and a pot of hot water for tea was $79.

Totally disappointing for an anniversary get away!

Room Tip: Stay away from 3812 less you want to hear giant billboards rattle in the wind and blind you with meg...
Green Features: Not sure they have any. You could say the cut back on light since there is not too much in the room. The bathroom had better lighting then in the sleeping area
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your honest and balanced feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your candor as we are always looking to improve your experience for future and we have since gladly followed up on your comments with our team to ensure your points are immediately addressed. We have also since gladly reached out to you in order to personally touch base as your comfort is of course our number one priority. Thank you once again for taking the time to reach out to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in future for a true W Experience.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

W is located right in Times Square. It is clean and in a great location. The rooms were a tad on the small side and there was not a lot of drawer/closet space, so if you stay here, pack light. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom very modern, however, there is no separate toilet area away from the sink and faucet like at other hotels I've stayed in.

The hotel had a dark feel to it, and when you arrive upstairs at the reception area via elevator the lobby has a night club atmosphere. There is a DJ playing music at happy hour. There are couches, a bar and it is a very live crowd in the evenings on weekends. Kinda cool.

My experience with the front desk was that everyone was helpful and friendly, and I did not have any problem with the hotel staff or my bill. This is my second stay at the hotel.

I like staying here because I can step right outside and I'm in Times Square. You can walk easily to just about anywhere you want to go and there are Broadway shows playing on the same street as the hotel.

There is a small restaurant and bar downstairs, however, not a lot of space, and there are so many options to walk to or Uber you don't have to be limited to the hotel.

W Times Square is a great option if you want a clean, affordable stay right in Times Square and the boutique feel to the place is kinda cool. I recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Roland! Thank you for your wonderful review and it was our pleasure to welcome you back with us to the heart of Times Square! We are delighted you had a great stay overall and our team is always here to assist with anything you may need. Our concierge team located on the 7th floor will gladly assist with any reservations and specialty requests as we are always here for you for whatever you need, whenever you need it. Thank you once againd and our team looks forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple!
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in W time square so many times, each time has its great memories.
It is more than a home for me.
I would never stay in any hotel while I'm visiting NYC.
I would like to thank all the staff, specially Mr. LEO ROSSINI.
He made my stay unforgettable and unique.
W hotels are so lucky to have one like Leo working with them.

Thank you every one.
Thanks Leo.
Hatim Mahdli

• Stayed April 2014
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Hatim! Our entire team thanks you for your inspiring words and we all truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to have you with us at your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple and we all look forward to seeing you back with us soon! Anything you need, do not hesitate to ask and we will do Whatever Whenever to ensure you have a special memorable stay each and every time.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed here during a work trip and have to say it is not an establishment I would pay to stay in myself as I prefer smaller, boutique-like hotels but it is generally a 'good' hotel. However I do not think it is particularly good value for money as I've stayed in superior hotels for at least half the price.

When I arrived at the reception I felt as if I was entering a nightclub: the darkness shrouding the desk, staff who looked/behaved as if they were out of work actors or models and spoke in a very fast, low voice (maybe a New York thing?!) and the busy, noisy bar a few feet away. My room was ok albeit a bit on the small side and the bed was very comfortable indeed. One major disappointment was the hotel restaurant which had a very limited menu and served average food. Granted the hotel is in a very central location so you can obviously eat outside but my colleague and I arrived late in the evening after a long plane journey and are not familiar with NY so we were hoping for a decent meal onsite - it wasn't too be.

I'd recommend this hotel if you like a buzzy vibe and the bar is a nice place to meet up with friends etc. However as stated before it is not somewhere i would personally stay through choice and I also hate Times Square so that did not help! A final note: When I checked out I asked for a copy of my bill as the hotel had automatically billed my card. The receptionist rudely said "No , it's already been e-mailed to you" I queried this because as far as I could remember I had not given my e-mail address to the hotel (the booking was made via my company's in-house travel dept) but the receptionist refused point blank to give me a copy of the bill. I subsequently discovered the hotel overcharged me massively by claiming my company's travel department booked a more expensive room which included breakfast for 2 people each day. This was completely false and it took days of back and forth before the reservations team at the W admitted there had been an error. Even after this they only refunded the cost of the 2 x breakfasts but still charged for the room which was not actually booked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your honest and balanced feedback and we truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. Being the W brand, we do indeed embody the fun and flirty vibe – this being said, we of course gladly reviewed your feedback as we appreciate your candor and are always looking to improve your experience for future. In addition, we have since immediately addressed your comments with our entire team to ensure your points are reviewed being your comfort is our number one priority. We thank you once again for taking the time to reach out to us and please do not hesitate to advise our team of anything you may need as we are always happy to assist. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in future for a true W Experience.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Arrived 3PM on Easter Sunday. Had to wait 2 hours for our room (along with a number of others we met in the lobby). Understandably there could be a wait on a Sunday PLUS it being Easter Sunday, but it was a bit too long. Desk staff (Briana) made it better though with comp WiFi for our stay and drinks at the lobby bar.

The hotel itself is all "W". Cool, dark, lots of little personal attentions, and Whatever/whenever service (which is ALWAYS up to it's name). Our only real disappointment was the overall "fatigue" of the suite. The "peaceful chair" was tattered, to say the least. The bathroom fixtures were all loose and wobbly and the area around the sinks and all the storage drawers were sagging and out of alignment. The carpet and couches should really be replaced as they've seen better days and...NEVER lift the mattress cover. The sight underneath was a horror show. (but I wouldn't think this is any different from any other T.S. hotel).

Impeccable service as with all W hotels, but this one needs an overhaul.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a recently renovated suite if available?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to W New York - Times Square? Share your experiences!