“I still have a headache thinking about this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Times Square

You added W New York - Times Square to your Saves list
W New York - Times Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1567 Broadway at 47th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #188 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“I still have a headache thinking about this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I am not a fan of the W hotel chain, for some reason I was booked by my secretary into one in Boston and New York this year.

When I arrived at the New York one, I got to reception and couldnt hear myself think as the loud dance music thumped away, and gave me the worst headache.

I just wanted the run out of the building with my hands on my ears, I mean I felt like a rat near a rat repelling siren.

What was the need to play such loud dance music? What was the need to dim out the reception area and make the whole place feel like a tacky nightclub?

I am not old I am 32 so the hotel is aimed at travellers like myself, but I am not interested in staying in hotel where the reception cannot decide if it is a hotel lobby or a nightclub.

When I went to my floor, the corridors were dark and dingy, initially I wondered if this was to keep in tune with the club theme but I later realised they make keep the corridors dark so that you dont notice the poor finishing in the hotel.

When I got to my room, I put the lights on to see the poor paint work, poor craftsmanship over the whole room.

The room was tiny although it was dual aspect, having spent some time looking at hotel design and how to best utilise space for budget hotels, I noticed that the W capitalised on every aspect, every space saving trick they could use.

I asked reception if I could borrow a travel adapter for my phone charger to which they just told me I should buy one, which I didnt find very helpful.

At night the windows are not very well insulated from the ambient noise levels of time square so you can pretty much guarantee yourself a pretty awful nights sleep, especially if you are in a room with a dual aspect.

All in all - the W chain is not one for me, while they are going for the 30 somethings, I prefer my hotel lobby to be more like a hotel lobby, I like well lit lobbys with nice background music, or no background music, and I like brightly lit rooms that are well insulated to sound.

This particular hotel had a really seedy feel to it- avoid.

Room Tip: If you want somewhere peaceful and quiet dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WNewYorkTimesSquare, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Good morning, and thank you for your review. I think the bottom line here is that W is just not for everyone. Trust me - my better half would much prefer a St. Regis any day of the week to the tone and ambiance that W Times Square has. I am sorry that your request for an adaptor was not met immediately with an "I will take care of it right away, sir!", but rest assured that finer point of service education has already been attended to. I do hope you'll consider another brand within the Starwood system, whether it be St Regis, Westin, Sheraton, etc. Be sure to let me know the next time you book any of our more than 1040 hotels worldwide - I will personally reach out to the GM on your behalf.

Kind regards -

Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Pelican Waters
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is on Times Square so you are right in the thick of things. Go out one way and you are in Times square and then go the other way and you are on Broadway.We stayed in a cool Corner room on the 46th floor and there was always something to see. This property is fantastic and all the staff were very helpful and oh so friendly. It probably helped that we met my brother there. He lives in Brussels and I hadn't seen him for 12 years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dan E, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
We're all about creating the magic, so I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the hotel and Times Square. Hope your brother had a great time, I'm sure it was quite different than Brussels.
Naij
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The reviews of the W hotel hare great but do not compare to experiencing it!

From the moment you alight from the vehicle that gets you to the front door all the way to your room.................... It is nothing short of wonderful!

A dear friend suggests that I stay there if i could afford it and I thought i might as well; considering it was going to be a short trip to New York! Everyone is very warm and very accommodating! I have always believed that your first point of contact with anyone representing an organization determines what you should expect from it! In W's case, expect to be cared for like you are the only person in the world! They are literary that good! Actually they are great people!

One of the amazing things is the foot mat in the elevators which they change morning, afternoon and evening.................. that's the definition of attention to detail!

Check in is a breeze.................... I was there for all of 5mins!

The food is brilliant! Both room service and Blue Fin!

Sweat (gym) makes you do just that and my best part .......................

The BED............................... PURE UNADULTERATED HEAVENLY BLISS!

I was glad I stayed there and whenever I am in NY again............................. W has a new resident!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
WOW! Thank you for the amazing feedback! We are all about creating a personalized and memorable experience and it sounds like we did just that! We love our regulars so please do keep in touch, we look forward to welcoming you back to Times Square!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After two bad stays in the midtown Westins the previous two weeks, I went back to the W. Here for 3 nights. Work up the first morning and no hot water. Called down stairs and was told that the power company had messed up. Took a real cold semi-shower and was in a real bad mood - 3 strikes out for Starwood.

Around noon, I looked my email. I got something for Hotel operations apologizing. Seems that the water is heated by steam provided by the power company (foreign concept to someone from Dallas but explains a lot) and the power company decided to shut off Times Square without telling anyone in the middle of the night. I was updated via email through the day and new I had hot water running before I was back in the room (yes I checked when I got back). Found a nice standard note and a free cocktail card in the room. The neat thing was I found a few extra points in my starwood account.

Overall - huge win for the W Times Square - it is pulling me out of the Times Square Element after I gave up on the Westin

OK, this is my boiler plate road warrior hotel checklist. I sadly have around 125 nights a year in hotels for work and gladly I have 25 nights with my family. Here is my score for my business stays. It is about work and ease but perks help. (FYI - I don't do room service and do hotel restaurants maybe twice a year)

Can I charge my stuff while I sleep - no - had to use my extension cord from the wall
Can I charge my stuff while I work - yep but didn't work in room
Is the a Chair you can sit in and read - no - W does not seem to want real chairs
Can I actually get the room below 68 to sleep - yes
Desk you can sit at and work - yep
Room that just feels right - yes - great room (but no coffee maker :(
Bed that you can sleep in - of course - W bed and pillows
How hard is to turn light off - pain in the rear
So how loud is it next door or outside - I was facing Times Square so heard it all night -
Is there even enough light - no
Plastic Cups or Real Glasses - glasses
Did I walk around the area for food / beer / relaxation - off course - and had a free drink but don't think I was hip enough for the bar tender
Internet Speed - real slow
Can I keep the sun out of my room - yes
Do my Newspapers Show Up - no
Is there any reason to look out my window - yes if you have not seem Times Square 100 times
Is the Gym ready for Rocky or a spoiled old road warrior - did not use
Is the a Club Lounge - nope
Parking Notes - didn't use but could not imagine what it would cost
Front Desk - 125% - thye always have great people here over the years
Room Safe - ???

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
So glad to hear that we turned around your Streak and won you over at the W Times Square. We are truly as strong as the talent here at the hotel whom are all committed to driving the personalized experience, which looks like we succeeded with you! We look forward to welcome you back.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Has the typical W feel, plus. Entry has area with water cascading beyond glass ceiling/walls. Lobby on 7th floor -- all W lobbies are cool - this is very cool with intimate seating areas. The up side is this is located in heart of Times Square, and the downside is this is located in heart of Times Square - windows are decently insulated, but it's still loud and light comes in around edges of blinds. Had a nice room with contoured chaise next to window. Very cool fountain faucet with shelf in bathroom. Room clean. Staff helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Our desgin truly is quite the masterpiece of TImes Square, so I'm glad that you noticed it in all its glory. Escaping the hustle and bustle of TImes Square, you escape into our waterfall and transition into the living room space where you're right, there are indeed multiple, intimate seating areas!
Looking forward to welcome you back.

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for an extended weekend and had a great stay. The staff were all very helpful and friendly with a great attitude. The hotel has a hipster vibe, but we feel never felt out of place or unwelcome despite the fact we had small children with us. The hotel was completely booked during our stay, but it never felt over crowed and we never had an issue with noise. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello Vin004 - So happy to hear you enjoyed your ecape with us! We love kids, so I'm happy your brought them along with you. Hope that you and the family were able to truly experience the sights and sounds of TImes Square. Looking forward to welcome you back!

Madison, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I've stayed at this property a total of six times now. Every stay has been wonderful. The rooms are a little pricey but the product is well worth it. The rooms are always spotless and comfortable. The best part of this hotel is the staff-always willing to go an extra mile for any guest.

If you have any type of SPG status it will be acknowledged and you will be thanked. I've been given an upgrade at every stay without question.

Don't hesitate to stay here, even if you have to pay a little more $ to do so.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Justin A, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Hi Orangeskittle,

Thank you for such wonderful feedback!

Sharing comments like this with the rest of the team really drives our ambition to exceed your expectations. Please reach out to me at Justin.Araujo@Whotels.com when you book your next escape, I’d love to know more about you and your needs.

All the best,
Justin

Been to W New York - Times Square? Share your experiences!