“A great deal for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   522 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #349 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“A great deal for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Although the location is perhaps not the best, this hotel more than met my needs for a Thanksgiving weekend stay. My room with two double beds was a decent size (for NYC standards). The room was clean and the beds firm but comfortable. There appeared to be a brand new flat screen TV in the room too.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Free wifi in the room was reliable. The room was cleaned in a timely manner. The free breakfast was more than I had planned for - it included hot items such as scrambled eggs and a waffle maker, as well as danishes, various breads, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juices. It was replenished several times.

I realized on my second day that the heat in my room wasn't working. The front desk sent someone up quickly to have a look and then he returned with a portable heater for me to use for the rest of my stay.

Across the street from the hotel is a 24 hour taxi repair shop. I didn't hear any noise from it but it doesn't look the greatest. There's not much else right around the hotel, so I took taxis at night since I was on my own. I also heard the occasional train whistle.

I am not used to paying for the hotel to store my bags after checkout, but it was only $1 per bag.

The price that I paid was half of what other hotels were charging (booked directly through BW website). Overall, I would stay here again if I was with someone, but I'm not sure that I would if I was on my own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Alice, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is an older property close to the convention center. Its situated in an area that's somewhat run down. There is quite a bit of graffity visible as you arrive at the front of the propery. My wife did'nt feel safe staying in this area. To be honest my first immpression of the area was not good. Reluctantly we stayed for two night's without incident. Although I would'nt recommend walking in that area after dark.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was clean and friendly. It's a little off the beaten path, unless you're going to the Convention Center, but we never had trouble getting a cab. The only issue we had was that there was no hot water on Saturday morning but it was fine the other two days we were there.

Room Tip: There is an occasional train that comes by so try to stay on a higher floor. We were on the 11th (t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The place is clean, the furnishings are new-ish, free breakfast, in-room safe that holds two laptops and the mattress firm and comfortable. But bring earplugs because there's a 24-7 taxi garage across the street that does mechanical and body work all night. Also the Amtrak train blows through with a blasting horn.

But wearing earplugs is a small trade-off for a reasonable rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from November 14, 2012 to November 18, 2012. My room was spotless, the bed is very comfortable. Check in was quick and efficient. The hotel staff are extremely friendly. The hotel is walking distance to many attraction and walk to Time Square. This is my first time at this hotel in New York and I will definitively stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

After taking a New England Cruise we stayed in NYC for 6 days. Before the cruise we stayed one night at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Brooklyn. A very nice hotel not too far from the cruise terminal. It was less expensive than this Best Western and a bit larger. However it is in Brooklyn and we did not want to spend time commuting back and forth especially if we wanted to stay in Manhattan till late in the evening.

Finding an affordable, clean hotel that is near Times Square area isn't easy. This hotel fits the bill. Its located on 38th St. between 10th & 11th Ave. That's just four very short blocks (from 38th to 42nd) and 2 long blocks (from 10th to 8th ave) to get to 42nd St. & 8th Ave.

We had 3 rooms with two double-beds each (two of the rooms we had 3 people per room and the 3rd room just 2 of us). The rooms are small (which is normal for hotels in NYC unless you want to pay an arm & a leg.) Like many hotels in NYC, the buildings are 'small and tall'. I think there were only like 8 rooms per floor but the building was 12 stories. But you're here to sleep and shower. We did end up spending more time than anticipated in the hotel because we arrived (Sat) just before Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast (Monday). So we spent Monday relaxing in the hotel, watching TV and playing cards downstairs in the breakfast area.

The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. They provide breakfast everyday downstairs in their breakfast area. The eggs were powered but they had a waffle maker and fresh batter so the waffles were great. They also had pastry and fresh fruit along with yogurt and coffee and orange and apple juice. This gives you a good start for the day and of course saves you money since eating out in NYC which isn't exactly inexpensive.

There is a 24 hour Duane Read Drugstore at the corner of 38th St. & 10th Ave. and a deli near the corner of 37th & 10th. Of course just four blocks up on 42nd St. & 10th Ave. there are numerous places to eat along 10th as well as down 42nd Ave.

We had purchased (in advance) tickets to see Mary Poppins at the Amsterdam Theater which is on 42nd St. (btwn 8th & 7th) and fortunately our tickets were for Sunday afternoon. All the theaters were closed for Sunday evening due to the storm. After the show we grabbed a bite to each nearby as places were closing up early due to Hurricane Sandy's approach. the Subway was scheduled to close at 7pm so stores and shops were closing around 5pm so they could lockup and employees could take the subway or buses to go home. Of course our hotel is close by so no need for a taxi or metro.

On Monday pretty much everything was closed up but we were able to order dinner from a Chinese Restaurant and they delivered it to the hotel. (We later saw the restaurant was located on 42nd between 9th & 10th). They must have been doing a lot of delivery business that evening with virtually everything closed up. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. They were the ones who told us about the Chinese Restaurant and about a Diner which was also open on Monday when everything else was closed. We were planning to order from the Diner but by the time we wanted to order it was too late for them to deliver. On the following evening (Tuesday) we walked over to the diner (Skylight Diner on 34th Street and 9th Ave.) to order some take-out. Great food at reasonable prices.

The staff at the hotel were very helpful. In addition to telling us where we could get food during the storm, they arranged transportation for us to the airport. Normally they could schedule a towncar to drive us but due to the hurricane, the car company wasn't able to get gas. (Also the City was limiting vehicles crossing the bridges into Manhattan requiring the cars to have 3 people.) So the hotel arranged for Airlink, the airport shuttle service, to drive us to LaGuardia. (Note: FYI...you can't call on the phone for a taxi to come to the hotel to drive you. something I didn't know till we got to NYC.)

Note: while 38th st. between 10th & 11th Ave. is somewhat 'industrial' it was quite safe even late at night. when returning to the hotel at night we would walk down 42nd St. making a right turn on 10th Ave and then walk down 10th till we turned right onto 38th St.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel? Share your experiences!