“Great Staff! Decent Breakfast! So-so Neighbourhood” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   522 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #350 of 459 Hotels in New York City
North Battleford, Canada
“Great Staff! Decent Breakfast! So-so Neighbourhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Our group of 7 ladies spent 7 nights in Sept 2011, we booked 2 rooms - a double room for 4 ladies and a Single Queen room + a cot for 3 ladies. Rooms were clean but very small and they have very comfortable pillow top matresses. We were very happy with what we got for the price we paid for our stay.
The staff were GREAT!!! Mike was awesome with his advice on sights and restaurants and helping us book shuttles etc..
The breakfast was decent. Eggs, bread and jams, cereal, bagels, donuts, juice. Would have been nice to have a waffle maker like some of the other Best Westerns I have stayed at.
The neighbourhood is not the most pleasant but its very safe. 1.5 blocks to a Drugstore, 2 blocks to a pizza place and 4-5 blocks from a ton of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen, 6-7 blocks from Times Square and the Port Authority.
All in all, a great place for our group to stay as we were only looking for a place to lay our heads for a few hours every night. We would book there again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
PEI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This was a great hotel...the staff were fantastic, our room was small but very clean and it was only a 10 minute walk to Time Square. For the price we paid it was well worth it! We didn't see any homeless people walking to and from the hotel...at first seemed a bit sketchy but we never felt unsafe. We would recommend this hotel to friends and family and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

The only good thing about this place is the value you get for your money. It's very inexpensive for New York, and you can see why when you first step in.

I took a cab from the airport to get here, and I was grateful that I did not have to walk very far to get indoors. There's a gentleman's club a couple of buildings away, and lots of unsavory characters around the area, especially at night. The front desk takes a copy of your driver's license AND your credit card when you check in. The lobby is filthy. The elevator creaks a LOT and seems like it would break down during the ride.

The room was very, very small, and smelled very weird. The size of the room didn't bother me much, I didn't expect a big room in New York. But the smell got to me. The room overall wasn't filthy dirty, but not clean either. The bed was clean enough to sleep in, but it was one of those experiences where I couldn't wait to shower when I got up out of it. The desk surface was slightly greasy, like it had not been cleaned in awhile.

The front desk will not call a cab for you, you have to walk outside to call it yourself. Not a big deal, but just another thing on the list. Breakfast was included (again, the value for your dollar is great), but it wasn't exactly a healthy breakfast. I wasn't sure what I was eating half the time.

I would never stay here again, not because it was that awful, but because there are other, better hotels for approximately the same price in New York.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ellicott City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The room I had was so small that I had to step over my suitcase to get to the bathroom which was small as well. This is one of the smallest rooms I have ever staid in. I have add more room on a cruise ship than in this hotel.
The breakfast is free in the morning but they don't open until 7AM which was to late for me since I had to get to a meeting elsewhere. This is the only hotel I know of that doesn't serve breakfast at 6 or 7 AM
You have to walk at least for blocks to eat at night since they have no dining on site.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Spent four nights here with my wife and overall was a very pleasant stay. Hotel decor is very old fashioned and rooms are small and dark but clean. Good base for midtown area of Manhattan but be warned you will have to walk through a few 'project' like streets adorned with homeless people which can be a bit intimidating but we werent bothered once. Staff in hotel were very friendly and the free bagels/doughnuts and coffee for breakfast is a bonus for New York. We were in New York just for the sightseeing/shopping and just wanted somewhere decent to lay our heads. This place delivered.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Two long blocks to the subway. Service is good, but the property is old and sort of off the beaten path. It's like 1.5 big blocks then north or south four short blocks to a subway line. Only there one night and it was fine. Other people have mentioned that the neighborhood isn't so great and that is true, but it is definitely safe in my estimation - just not so picturesque. Got this on Priceline for a decent price so I was fine with it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Royal Oak, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Best Western Conference Center hotel provided a base for our six day visit to New York, and a comfortable king size bed. If you are looking for fancy amenities, look elsewhere.

The room was small but by New York standards it was normal sized. The view was Westside industrial. As other reviewers mentioned there was train noise from the tracks below, but I don't think it was excessive. We have train noise regularly at our home near Detroit, and we get along OK.

It's located west of 10th ave on 38 St., so it's 4 short blocks and 3 long blocks from Times Square, maybe 10 minutes. About the same distance from Penn Station. Those places are where you can catch subway trains, or there is frequent bus service on 9th and 10th Avenues. It's adequately close to public transportation in my opinion.

We were assured by the clerk when we arrived that the neighborhood was safe, despite its gritty industrial location. We certainly had no incidents, and did feel relatively safe in the well-lit neighborhood.

When we arrived on 38th Street we noticed a peculiar smell in the area and were a bit concerned. It turns out that a stable for carriage horses is just down the street from the hotel. So it turned out to be a horsey smell and ceased bothering us.

One complaint I have is that the WiFi service was poor. At first it didn't work at all. I reported that to management, and they had it mostly fixed by morning. However, even then the performance from my room was very slow. It was also bad in the lobby, on my mobile computing devices, and also on the public computer terminal in the lobby, which was connected with WiFi.

I was extremely underwhelmed by the hotel's attempt at providing a breakfast bar. I like a simple "continental" breakfast, but this barely qualified. We foraged at nearby groceries instead.

The air conditioner worked ok except it made some extra noises that were sometimes bothersome. We should have reported the noises to management, but didn't, so that's really our own problem, I guess.

The staff was friendly and responsive, so that's a plus if that's important to you. For example, they sent somebody up immediately when I reported I couldn't open the room safe.

The room's firm but comfortable bed and the hotel's pretty good location were its best amenities, and earn it three stars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Convention Center Hotel? Share your experiences!