“They are trying, but…” 3 of 5 stars
Review of the Quin

You added the Quin to your Saves list
the Quin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 West 57th Street, at 6th Avenue, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save at least 15%
Ranked #28 of 464 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“They are trying, but…”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at The Quin for a long weekend and picked it mostly based on its excellent location and decent reviews. Overall we left rather disappointed, although we have been warned by the reviews of some of the deficiencies of the property.

Pros
+Location - very good location on the corner of 57th Street and 6th avenue, close to 3 main underground stations, 2 block from Central Park, lot of restaurants, museum, luxury shopping all there within easy walking distance
+ relatively new - nice, albeit small lobby, modern, but very small rooms
+ steak breakfast - you can have a nice hanger stake with green salad for breakfast which would make my personal trainer very happy

Cons
- small - everything in this hotel is small: the rooms, the bathroom, the gym, the lobby, the bar, etc.
- noisy - windows are not very well noise insulated, you can hear all the street noise throughout the night, even with windows fully shut and the hotel is on a noisy crossing, so be prepared to wake up to sirens and other garbage trucks…
- air-con - extremely noisy and not very effective, couldn't get room temperature below 25C. At low fan is the noise level of a steam engine, at high fan probably a steel making plant… Difficult to sleep with air-con, but need to keep windows shut, so basically you suffocate…
- gym - tiny, no shower, which is really a pity, if you need to check out midday and want to take the shower before you hit the airport or on the way in take a shower before they let you go to your room
- service - room service is horrible. The people on the phone have no idea what is on the menu. You order Norwegian scrambled eggs and you get Mediterranean and when you complain they don't even know that such thing exists. They change it for you in the end, but then forget the toast and when you ask for it, instead of bringing it they call you two times to say that toast is not part of it, whereas it clearly shows on your in-room menu…
- concierge - they call it attaché, but it doesn't really work, no real knowledge of New York, some actually rather arrogant
- lifts - only two lifts for a large hotel, long waiting times at peak times

Overall, we found that most of the service staff on an individual level is trying hard, but somehow the pieces do not want to come together and the whole experience is rather not good. Would I come back here? Probably only if I didn't have any other option in the area.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was at the Quin Hotel with my family, and it was unique experience. The Hotel interior was simply a masterpiece, service was fantastic and location is prime. However, I would not recommend this hotel for people who is planning to stay in the hotel room for all day. It has a great hotel room (interior was simply awesome) but I feel like its price is more for its location than hotel service and the room. Service was good but it was not the kind of hotel with a lots of things to do. Location is fantastic, I could walk to every luxury clothing stores and department stores near by. If you are shopping lover who is looking for the great location and unique and specially designed room, this is your hotel.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I just got home from a five night stay at the Quin and could gush on for pages about my experiences at the hotel - beautiful, stylish, impeccably clean and appointed with the best of everything. The hotel was absolutely lovely and the staff gracious, anticIpating my every need. I would absolutely stay at the Quin again and will recommend it to all my family and friends.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Be prepared for construction noise that starts early - right now the jack hammer stage - so even if you are on the opposite end of the hotel, you will hear it. And if you or anyone in your party has a pet allergy, know that they allow pets in ALL rooms. They claim to deep clean after pets - as most hotels do - but we had a bad reaction. Very frustrating especially since we told them about it ahead of time and were assured that the room had been well cleaned. I would agree with other reviewers that this was not a typical 5 star experience - nice enough and new - but not 5 star service or amenities. No evening turndown. The best part of our stay was the nespresso machine, complimentary water, and chocolates for our special occasion celebration.

Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We called in advance to make sure the property was 'family friendly' and while many say they are, few really mean it. My youngest was turning three and I asked Linda at Concierge to assist with decorations. She found balloons, a Minnie Mouse cake and cookies and milk to be in our room upon our arrival. Our little one was absolutely delighted. We were upgraded to a suite and dinner at the restaurant was casual and accommodating for the children. An unexpected gift arrived after dinner to our room with a card to The birthday girl with signatures from staff on duty. A very special touch. We will stay here again for certain and I would recommend this hotel to anyone for any occasion.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just left the Quin hotel after a long weekend in NYC. Trust me, I don't know why this hotel is listed above 3 stars. My biggest complaint, hotel rooms don't have an individual thermostat. We were a bit cold the first night and the maintenance staff brought us a space heater! Seriously, I've NEVER had to use a space heater in a hotel room, it was pathetic. My second complaint, our hotel room was facing an ugly wall so we were completely without natural light all weekend. Ive stayed in other hotels in NYC where the view wasn't great but I've always been able to see sunlight. Very Depressing. And my third complaint, the entire hotel smells like cheap cologne. The smell is SO overpowering that it makes me think they're hiding something. If you're looking for a 5-star or 4-star hotel, look elsewhere.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I are sad to leave after an amazing anniversary weekend at the beautiful Quin hotel in NYC. The people, artwork, decoration, food and overall experience at the quin is exceptional. Roger the hotel manager graciously upgraded us for our special anniversary getaway and the attaché were beyond any concierge we have ever seen -- they arranged dinners, shows, galleries and everything to make it a perfect NYC experience. Can't wait to come back next anniversary!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to the Quin? Share your experiences!