We stayed at The Quin for a long weekend and picked it mostly based on its excellent location and decent reviews. Overall we left rather disappointed, although we have been warned by the reviews of some of the deficiencies of the property.
+Location - very good location on the corner of 57th Street and 6th avenue, close to 3 main underground stations, 2 block from Central Park, lot of restaurants, museum, luxury shopping all there within easy walking distance
+ relatively new - nice, albeit small lobby, modern, but very small rooms
+ steak breakfast - you can have a nice hanger stake with green salad for breakfast which would make my personal trainer very happy
- small - everything in this hotel is small: the rooms, the bathroom, the gym, the lobby, the bar, etc.
- noisy - windows are not very well noise insulated, you can hear all the street noise throughout the night, even with windows fully shut and the hotel is on a noisy crossing, so be prepared to wake up to sirens and other garbage trucks…
- air-con - extremely noisy and not very effective, couldn't get room temperature below 25C. At low fan is the noise level of a steam engine, at high fan probably a steel making plant… Difficult to sleep with air-con, but need to keep windows shut, so basically you suffocate…
- gym - tiny, no shower, which is really a pity, if you need to check out midday and want to take the shower before you hit the airport or on the way in take a shower before they let you go to your room
- service - room service is horrible. The people on the phone have no idea what is on the menu. You order Norwegian scrambled eggs and you get Mediterranean and when you complain they don't even know that such thing exists. They change it for you in the end, but then forget the toast and when you ask for it, instead of bringing it they call you two times to say that toast is not part of it, whereas it clearly shows on your in-room menu…
- concierge - they call it attaché, but it doesn't really work, no real knowledge of New York, some actually rather arrogant
- lifts - only two lifts for a large hotel, long waiting times at peak times
Overall, we found that most of the service staff on an individual level is trying hard, but somehow the pieces do not want to come together and the whole experience is rather not good. Would I come back here? Probably only if I didn't have any other option in the area.