“Could have been better” 2 of 5 stars

9 Minetta Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Greenwich Village)   |
Tampa, FL
“Could have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

My biggest problem with this place is that they could only charge the credit card my employer reserves rooms with and not my personal credit card. This creates a gigantic hassle when I do my weekly expense reports. This is 2008. Why can't they charge my card and not the one Tramex made the reservation with? When I checked in, the guy that met me at the property assured me that they would charge the card I gave him, but then when I called to check out, they told me that there is no way to charge that card. WTF?

The room I stayed in was right by the building's door so loud people kept waking me up most of the night. I'd say that's the fault of inconsiderate guests not the hotel though. There is a street light right outside the window that's as bright as the sun, so it's impossible to make the room dark. I mean that sucker was bright. I didn't sleep well here becasuse of these two reasons.

The room was clean and had a nice TV. There is no Internet access and it's not a big room, but good enough for me. The air conditioner dripped condensation constantly. There was damage on the hardwood floors from this happening. I just put a garbage can under it so that the floor wouldn't get wet.

By far, the strangest thing about this place is the lack of a shower curtain. I really don't understand that. The bathroom had some fancy bubbling tub and a really nice shower head, but there was no shower curtain. There wasn't even a rod to hang one from. I struggled to not get the floor wet at first, but then just gave in and let it happen. Between that and the dripping air conditioner, I'm surprised the floors are ever dry.

I have pretty low standards, but I didn't really like staying here and never will again. I'm in NYC on business for another 6 months and I won't be selecting this place again. It has potential, but the fact that they can't charge the right credit card is a show stopper.

• Liked — Location in Greenwich Village
  • Disliked — Check in/Check out
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My review isn't so much for the Mini Suites of Minetta, as I didn't end up staying there, but more for the company that runs the apartments. I booked the Mini Suites through Opodo, but a few days before I was due to arrive (and only after I emailed the company a couple of times to find out where to pick up the keys from), I was told that they didn't have any space left, and that I was being upgraded to The Atrium Suites on Bleecker Street.

However, when I arrived, I was told that in fact my apartment was in the Morton Street Suites, and when I got to the Morton Street Suites I was horrified: the room was dark and so hot it was like a sauna - and the windows didn't open.

I wanted to stay in a studio apartment, and don't have a problem with having to walk up a few flights of stairs, or not having my room cleaned and fresh towels everyday, but I really felt like I couldn't stay in the Morton Suites - I actually felt ill it was so hot, and in April: it was actually freezing outside - so I carted my bag back to the office (fortunately it was still within opening hours), complained, and asked for my money back or a different place to stay.

I was really prepared to go elsewhere, but the company at this point gave me an apartment in the Atrium Suites, which I have to say was lovely.

So go ahead and book the Mini Suites - but be careful if they try to put you somewhere else - don't let them put you in the Morton Suites!!!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
porltand, or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

This is not a regular hotel--no maid service--it is a walk up with narrow stairs --you may need to walk up four floors-the rooms are large and clean--the location is great--they will not change your towels, or waste baskets the whole time you are there--its an old apt house chopped up into hotel rooms--most likely done chop chop--the price is fair--but you feel that you are being taken advantage of like all the hotels in new york--
There is no front desk--you pick up the keys down the block,
so for the price is not a bad deal
a former New Yorker who lives in beautiful Coos Bay and Portland , Oregon--by the way Portland is a great city to visit---stay at the Heathmann hotel

• Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

Great location on a quiet side street in the West Village. Reasonable rates. Adorable building with small stove, espresso machine and microwave in the room. The room was very cute, nicely decorated. Yes, the check in process is a bit strange, but if you know where you're going to get the check in code, it's no problem at all. (Be sure to call ahead to find out about the check in procedure. I guess that was a problem for some people who wrote reviews on this site, but it wasn't for us. We decided to be prepared after reading this site!) It was strange that there was no shower curtain, but not that big of a hassle. And there were no batteries in the TV remote. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by Minetta, especially after reading such bad reviews on this site. I would definitely stay there again! :)

• Liked — Cute room
  • Disliked — Wifi access didn't connect.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

Quiet street and great loc. Room was clean and modern. Great place to stay for access to the Village, SOHO, etc.
Make sure to call ahead, and be clear on how to get 'checked in'. It really is an apartment for which you need an access code. It is not a hotel with a front desk, etc.

• Liked — Location, quiet
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
East Hampton, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

We were a little worried after we booked because we read the trip advisor reviews after the fact but, as we approached the hotel we got more and more excited because we were so close to all of the bars, restaurants, and shopping. Bleeker and Macdougle, what more can you ask for. Everything is in walking distance, soho, chinatown, etc. The building was on a quiet side street with no traffic! We were in our own little cove. We called the office when we got there and was met by one of their employees who opened the door for us and then completed our transaction in the stairwell, we exchanged ID's, passcodes, and signatures, and she was on her way, and we were left staring at each other wondering if we had made the right decision. We went to our third floor room and held our breath as we punched in our code, exhaled as it worked and were pleasantly surpised by our room. We weren't expecting the Soho Grand, so we were pleased when we saw the wood floors, clean room, LCD tv, clean bathroom, etc. The room was 12 x 13 or so. It would suffice for the short stay. The bathroom was surprisingly impressive. We were expecting an old, dirty bathroom but, got a nicely tiled bathroom with jetted tub, as they stated. The bed was comfortable and the neighborhood was quiet so we were able to sleep. Here are the negatives: My main complaint is the bathroom. There was no shower curtain so when we showered the whole bathroom, walls, ceiling, toilet, sink, floor, etc. was soaked! Not to mention they installed a sleek looking shower head but it didn't work and barely stayed erect which also didn't help with the water spraying everywhere. If you managed to get it in one spot where it would stay you better hurry and shower. We were given two towels but needed way more to sop up the drenched floor, which I'm surprised the neighbor below us didn't have a waterfall coming down from their ceiling. There was no fan so when I steped into the bedroom area the whole room was fogged up. They also told me that there would be little toiletries which there were none, just two bars of soap. Luckily there is a CVS on 6th Ave. They featured a kichenette with microwave oven, espresso machine, and refridgerator but there was no kitchenette or microwave oven. There was a hot plate and a mini fridge. Also, there were no espresso pods or espresso cups. so come equiped. Would I stay here again? Probably if they put up a shower curtain. If you are planning on staying here, don't expect anything you would get at a hotel. This is more like living in your own apartment. Come equipped with your own shampoo, soap, towels, maybe a shower curtain . . . just pretend you are using a friends apartment that he hasn't been to in 1 year. Don't have any expectations of a grand stay becuase you will only be dissapointed, however, you will have a great time with the location! If you have any questions you want to ask them directy here is their office number: [--]. Have fun!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — shower or lack of shower curtain
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2007

Do NOT stay at this hotel/apartment, ....only if you want to be locked out, and over charged, for a cold room.

This was a terrible experience.
On arrival, despite emailing and phoning ahead, there was nobody to let us into the apartment building, we had to arrange another hotel for the first night.

We were assured that we would not be charged for the missed night, but despite this we were still billed for the night.

We were also locked out of the building early on the last day of our stay, despite check out being 12 midday.

We were unable to close a window for the week, leaving the apartment open from the fire escape, and worse, cold in the middle of new york winter.

They are small, but clean and in a good location. But, do not be tempted by this. After experiencing these problems, the rental company is now ignoring all emails and phone calls, a sure sign of a group that cannot be trusted.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Signature Mini Suites of Minetta? Share your experiences!