“Greatest Adventure in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dialog In The Dark

Dialog In The Dark
11 Fulton Street, South Street Seaport, New York City, NY 10038 (Manhattan)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #112 of 633 Attractions in New York City
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
New York City, New York
“Greatest Adventure in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I moved to NYC over a year ago and thought this might just be another tourist trap, but WOW was I wrong. I've never been more excited to be so wrong. I went with my boyfriend around 3:15 on a Saturday afternoon, and we lucked out in being the only two people on this specific tour. We walked into a holding area and took a seat on some lit up boxes and waited as the lights dimmed out. We were left in total darkness. I started to get a bit nervous, but just at this time Frank Senior walked into our room and all of the unease vanished. Frank has the voice of liquid gold and the capacity to quell all anxieties within fifteen seconds. I felt immediately 'ok' with the adventure we were getting ready to go on.

After exchanging pleasantries we started our tour of NYC. We visited a couple of awesome places and were required to rely solely on our sense of smell, touch and hearing. It was amazing how quickly you start to feel comfortable in your new environment when you are able to access all of your other senses. Whenever I felt myself becoming unsure or freezing in place, Frank would miraculously appear and take hold of my hand to guide me back to the correct location. I think Frank was a bat in another life with his sonar like ears.

We spent an hour wandering the "sights" and sounds of NYC and finally meandered our way into a comfortable place to sit and learn more about Frank. No questions were off limits, and we really left with such a great understanding (and a well needed dose of respect) for the visually impaired.

I've never cherished the gift of sight more than after our tour with Frank. I had a very difficult time falling asleep that night - my mind raced a million miles a minute with my newly found appreciations.

I am 100% bringing all of my visiting guests to this attraction - but only to Frank Senior. Thank you SO much for making this such an amazing adventure for us, and one Dan and I will be talking about for years to come!

-Ashley (from NC)

Cardiff, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Thought provoking and puts it all in perspective”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My 15 year old son and I journeyed with our blind guide through the streets of New York.There were six of us in total.
I have to say the experience was one I will never forget and my son said on leaving the building it was one of the best things he had ever done.
Got to say that it puts life into perspective when you think you are having a bad day just think again!
Fantastic everyone should do it!

Ditton, Kent
3 attraction reviews
“Sooo Interesting and humbling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Dialogue in the Dark

Ordinarily this may have slipped under our radar, but we had purchased New York City Passes and found it was included, so we decided to try it.

I’m ashamed to say that I don’t recall the name of our guide, although in the brief Q&A session at the end he said he lost his sight at 13 years of age. But basically you are part of a group of 6-10 people, the tour lasts an hour and you are in total pitch black darkness, as with help and guidance, you navigate replicas of Central Park, Times Square, a street vendor’s stall, supermarket and the subway, complete with typical sounds and smells, with the help and assistance of your blind guide.

Our guide was wonderful and we all found the experience, insightful, humbling and uplifting in = measure. I strongly advise you to take this tour

Venice, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Do not miss this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My daughter (11) and I visited this exhibit on 7/26/12. There were 9 of us that went through the exhibit at the same time. Other reviewers have complained of being crowed and bumping into other people to me that was just a part of the experience, if you were visually impaired that is what it might feel like to walk on a busy NY street. It is pitch black in the exhibit but you will smell, touch and hear the city. You will know what it feels like to be blind, a wonderful learning experience for all ages from about 10 and up.

Visited July 2012
Kansas
44 attraction reviews
“Must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We were in New York the week of July 4th 2012. We had researched this exhibit and thought it sounded interesting and it was.
We were guided through a vast of rooms that simulated New York City in the total darkness with only a walking stick and our awesome blind tour guide. It really "Opens your eyes" to what a blind person has to go through on a daily basis.
It was very educational and somewhat fun! I would highly recommend trying it out. Well worth the money.

Visited July 2012