“Crisp Outside and a Good Chew” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #240 of 11,765 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery
Charlotte, NC
“Crisp Outside and a Good Chew”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here many times and always enjoy it. The everything bagel is my favorite, while my wife prefers the sesame. My go to spread is the lox cream cheese and my wife likes the plain. Sometimes we get them toasted and at other times we don't. I think it depends on whether or not we want a little added crunch. We ate here twice over a long weekend and the first time was a little better than the second because of a mix up on my bagel that resulted in me getting lox rather than lox spread. I accepted it and paid for it and enjoyed it---I just hadn't planned on getting a breakfast sandwich---there were not many slices of lox and I had read of similar issues. All in all, it is a fun place to eat and watch visitors who are unfamiliar with the ordering process look like deer in the headlights. I think the confusion occurs when people walk to the take out bagels only area instead of getting a "dressed" bagel in the regular line when they want it to go. The servers seem to take it in good stride because they seem to realize that their idea of speedy service just doesn't jive with some first time visitors. The bagels are large, fresh, and a perfect way to start the day. I knocked down the ratings by one circle because of the mix up on receiving lox rather than lox spread one day. I guess I could have refused it but hey, sometimes you roll with the punches.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast bagel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

So much choice of fillings & bagels & at good prices. I was here twice at 6 a.m. but the third time when I fancied a bagel for lunch I gave up becaue the line was so long. Great place for an early breakfast though.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“This is where you get a real NY bagel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

There are many excellent bagels in this city but these are the BEST bagels. Why? Warm, chewy, and huge. The experience is NY too. You walk in to the most delicious smell and you will see two lines. Along the wall on the left is the bagel sandwich line... it is always long and getting a sandwich increases the cash outlay. But, for those of us who need bagels for the week, we go to the smaller counter on the back wall and get a baker's dozen of warm (sometimes hot) delicious bagels. You can ask for a small (or big) container of cream cheese or butter or lox spread.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pinellas Park, Florida
“Great Place for Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Bagels and other breakfast items Close by the hotel and reasonable prices. Quick service, and a wide variety of bagels and cream cheeses.

Visited August 2013
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Eh, it is ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I wanted an authentic NY bagel after hearing people rave about them my whole life. I searched the web and found this was voted one of the best, so we decided to check it out. I got a plain bagel with chocolate chip cream cheese and an iced coffee. My husband got a pizza bagel and a soda.
The bagel was just ok. It tasted like a Lender's bagel. The cream cheese though was AMAZING. IT was like eating cheesecake on a bagel....so good. The iced coffee was good, but not the best. The price was sort of high for what we had (about 15 dollars for our breakfast).
We also tried Murray's bagels and I recommend it over Ess A Bagel.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere